1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

half life?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by edd, Feb 27, 2002.

1. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, how long do crt tubes last. ive seen quotes of 10000 hours, is this before the unusable?

what i would like to know (assuming im right in thinking crt tubes just get dimmer and dimmer until unusable) what the half life is, how many hours untill the brightness halfs.

strange question i know, but im new to projectors so im just trying to get my head round how long it would last :)

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,068
    10k hrs is a conservative guess, I know Rolly had an 808s with over 20k on the clocks and it still looked amazing. As long as you look after the PJ they will last the natural life span no problems.

Infact before getting into PJ's i did some calcs, and watching one movie a day (which i never do) the CRT would last me 14yrs!

Dont get hung up on life spans. But do check the tubes of any PJ you buy for burns and wear.

3. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was more that if i got a projector with say 2000 hours on, would i have a problem. id already done the 1 film a night calculation, at the moment im hitting 2 a day, but im a lazy student with nothing better to do :)

yester day it was batman and the usual suspects.

edd

4. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was more that if i got a projector with say 2000 hours on, would i have a problem. id already done the 1 film a night calculation, at the moment im hitting 2 a day, but im a lazy student with nothing better to do :)

yester day it was batman and the usual suspects.

edd

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,068
    My 800 had 6k hour when i bought it last August, and now has 6.4k. The performance is still spot on with a very bright output.

Gotta be far better than lcd lamps at £300ish a replacement every 2k on average.

If the tubes are in good nick and you get a unit from B4 you will be good for the life of the machine. Rolly's after sales service is second to none!;)

6. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont think i could afford a unit from b4 :)

im not sure yet but i think my budget for a projector is upto 900 pounds.

this isnt decided or sure, it will probably end up 600 ish for a data 600, im looking at buying a house you see.

we will see in the next few months, just gauging whever it was worth getting one, i was looking at tvs for same price and thought why not a projector, the fact they work better with htpc is an added bonus.

edd

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Edd tube life is a bit like tyre wear. It depends how you drive them.

From new, a properly set up a projector Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) should last to about 7 to 10,000 hours to 50% of its original brightness

I recently had a projector come in with 200 hours use and it was completely useless it had been driven so hard that the tubes had just burnt away. On the other hand I look after a projector that has now done over 50,000 and the tubes have not got a mark on them.

Ignore the run time when looking at a CRT projector look at the surface of the tubes with the lenses OFF.

I won't let a projector go unless I think there is at least 5000 more hours left in it.

Adopt a projector, give it a kind loving home.