• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Half life/Half life 2/Episode 1

Member 328449

Prominent Member
I'm currently playing HL2 through on my first go. However I never played the original. Should I go back and play the original now or should I play HL2 Ep 1 first? I know I should of done them in order and can't really explain why I haven't but I'd like to know what people suggest is the best order to go from here.

Praxidike

Banned
I never played HL, just jumped straight into HL2, then episode 1. I don't think it's really worth going as far back as the original HL, I always think if you miss out on a game at the time, it's a little bit lost on you if you go back too far.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
The impact of the original Half-Life may be lost on you now, however it is still a great game and if you have the time is well worth a play through.

If I were you, I'd play HL now and then play Episode 1 and 2 together afterwards.

WelshBluebird

Prominent Member
I first of all played HL1 not long after it was released, but I didn't really like it (wasn't really into shooters then), and so just forgot about it.

Then comes HL2, but I couldn't get it cos my PC wasn't up to it (I had gotten into shooters by then, but older ones lol).So when I get a new graphics card for my PC last year, HL2 was an obvious buy, and so with episode 1 out aswell, I bought the holiday pack (includes HL1, HL2 and episode 1).

Played through HL2 and episode 1 - loved the games, so played through HL1. Even if the graphics are dated, its still a fun game.

Member 328449

Prominent Member
I'm not that bothered about graphics. I'm more concerened about story issues. Have I missed much from HL to make HL 2 a less enjoyable experiance, and will I get much out of the story by playing the original after the second?

Brausch

Banned
You can play HL2 without knowing the story from 1 but its still worth playing. The graphics have aged but it still plays well (except for Gordon Freeman's incredible running speed). Don't forget the expansion packs Opposing Force and Blue Shift which are easily available on old disc issues or $9.95 each off Steam

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
HL2 can be played standalone, but my god you need to play HL itself to get half the injokes etc.....

play HL, then Opposing Forces then Blue Shift....THEN play HL2, then HL2:EP1....then of course Ep2 when its released...heh.....

yes HL and its expansions packs graphics are slightly dated, but being honest they are not THAT bad and the scripting in the game just keeps you interested throughout....go back, play it, then finish HL2......personally i still actually prefer playing HL over HL2.....

oh yeah and go play Return to Castle Wolfenstein too......HL/HL2 and RTCW are the only FPS's i've played through properly, none of the others interested me enough, got bored with Doom 3 after a few sections.....always been more of a RTS/TBS kinda guy, but HL and RTCW got me ;)

Brausch

Banned
And after you've exhausted the official releases for HL try the free HL2 mods Minerva, Rock 24, and my favourite SMOD which adds iron sights, realistic weapons, reskins the Combine and adds gibs. The latest SMOD Tactical Delta 4 is bloody hard but gives quite a different experience

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom