Half Life: Alyx!!!

It makes me want to buy some proper Index controllers. Currently using a Index headset with Vive wands and basestations. Not sure I can justify £260 for one game though!!!

It makes me want to buy some proper Index controllers. Currently using a Index headset with Vive wands and basestations. Not sure I can justify £260 for one game though!!!

I couldn’t imagine playing Alyx with anything but Knuckles. Using the Russell’s feels amazing. Grabbing objects out of the air as they fly towards you feels so natural. Last night I was squeezing cans in my hands. If you grab and Alien grenade you can squeeze it in your hand. Placing you hand in the first aid scanner all adds to the realism. The Knuckles were perfect. Get a pair ASAP.

Don't think of it as just for one game though. ;)

I feel bad every time I use a health station.

20200324173409_1.jpg

This appeared in my library, I’ve downloaded it and played for about 15 minutes.

Is there a free trial or something, then you have to pay for it?

Its free with Index and Knuckles

Hmm, don’t own either, have an Oculus Rift. I did buy a Steam controller from them many moons ago, wonder if it’s anything to do with that?

Even though I gave Alyx 10/10 I wouldn’t call it perfect. Not being able to drop stuff is wrong. The menu system is Alyx would not be my choice.

There’s too much Apartment exploring. I always feel released to hit open air only to go back into more apartments shortly after.

Character interaction peters out as the game progresses. It needed a few random people to talk to as you progressed. Geoff was no conversation starter. Lol

We needed more G-man.

When you play a VR character you never get to see yourself. I would put random mirrors or reflections in so you feel connected to yourself. Apart from the hands and the voice you wouldn’t know who you were.

Has anyone else actually completed Alyx yet?

Only just getting started, loving it though!

Good suggestion about reflections @Atmos. Moss used this trick quite regularly and it works well. You're wrong about G-man tho, he needs to be used very sparingly to maintain the mystery.

Only just getting started, loving it though!

Good suggestion about reflections @Atmos. Moss used this trick quite regularly and it works well. You're wrong about G-man tho, he needs to be used very sparingly to maintain the mystery.

I can’t say too much about G-man due to spoilers. Nor can I mention Gordon Freeman or crowbars. Lol

PCGamer have done a pretty good performance analysis and hardware recommendation...

Just finished. Took 15 hours, I did have a bit of an explore etc.
10/10 cant fault it. This is by far the best story based VR game available at present in my opinion. It mixes a good story line with a well balanced dose of suspense and the occasional jump.
So whats next? I`m going to have a little break and then get back in to chase down some of the missing achievements etc.

Just finished. Took 15 hours, I did have a bit of an explore etc.
10/10 cant fault it. This is by far the best story based VR game available at present in my opinion. It mixes a good story line with a well balanced dose of suspense and the occasional jump.
So whats next? I`m going to have a little break and then get back in to chase down some of the missing achievements etc.

Well done. :)

Found this handy tip for speeding up the pedestrian movement. -

Right-click on “Half-Life: Alyx” title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
Under the General tab click the Set launch options… button.

Enter in the following line:
+hlvr_continuous_normal_speed 200 +hlvr_continuous_combat_speed 200
Close the game’s Properties window and launch the game.

I found 200 a bit fast so I set it to 125. It makes the game a bit more fun in my option.

Yes, I'm finding it a bit of a slow amble. Wish Valve had included a run mode. Or at least a jog mode. You'd think with her father's life at stake, Alyx would move with a bit more urgency.

Yes, I'm finding it a bit of a slow amble. Wish Valve had included a run mode. Or at least a jog mode. You'd think with her father's life at stake, Alyx would move with a bit more urgency.

Indeed. It does make me wonder if they made it slow to pace out the games playtime?

I did it it 11 hours. I thought it went pretty fast.

I did it it 11 hours. I thought it went pretty fast.

I`m running back through, doing the gnome challenge. Faster movement speed makes the combat much more fun. And I`m exploring everything this time.

I'm only on Chapter 3, so no spoilers please!

I'm definitely hardening to VR. A little while ago the headcrabs in the dark would have brought on panic attacks. I'm stressed, but a lot more chill about it than when I first got into VR.

I'm playing teleport movement. I may try free movement at some point but I'm yet to enjoy it with any other game. Fortunately I do have quite a large space to duck and dive about in when in combat.

Also wanted to say the controls for this and the Knuckles work amazingly. I feel the finger tracking seems to work better than it does within Steam Home. Letting go of the Knuckles felt like a novelty until now, this is the first game where I open and close my hands without even thinking about it. It feels so natural to interact with the world! I especially like the little details, such as Alyx hands resting on a stair rail as I rest my hands near it.

Only gripe is how everything feels weightless but guess there's not much that can be done about that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom