Half Life: Alyx!!!

thesnowdog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I may have to take back most of what I've said in the past about Valve if this ends up being half decent and isn't only an hour long!!!

:eek: :D

This really was the next logical step after releasing their own hardware. Very intrigued to see how this pans out

About time. Good news and I look forward to it. (I still hope HLVR2 comes however).
Fingers crossed it's good however I won't hold my breath for a quick release.

My (albeit limited) experience of Valve (going by the Index) is the time between announcements and availability is quite short.

Given that they've apparently said there'll be something this year, and that they now have an announcement coming, I'd expect the game to be available to buy shortly after that.

I've never played Half Life, though, and I don't know what it is. So I'm not all that excited.

It's a big positive, though, that so many people are.

An announcement of an announcement? I hope there is a lot more to show and we're playing this game soon.

When I saw this earlier I saw the Twitter account had only been created June 2019 and this was its first ever tweet. So I was highly dubious. It has been verified though and reported and retweeted a number of times by reliable people, so guessing it's genuine. Weird why Valve communicated in this way. There is a Steam Twitter which is much more active (I finks).

Last edited:
I'm still not getting my hopes up TOO high, because these fudgeers have let us all down so much in the past. I'd be happy with a 5 hour single player campaign though, but any less than that and I might have a problem.

I wonder if this is still coming out this year like they have been promising for the last six months or so?

I am no valve apologist... Far from it, but a delay is not really a fib in my book

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and call it an over-optimistic estimate.

We still don't know for certain that it's not coming this year.

I was jesting people. Much like you lot I`m waiting with baited breath for the official info.

Mind you if they do release March time it will be inside the financial year.

So yea - end of Oculus confirmed......... er 3:rotfl:

I know everyone freaks out about Half-Life series, but I'm unfortunately in the "meh" camp. I played HL1 and HL2 ages ago and still have the discs. Can I even remember what it was like playing it at the time? Nope, 'fraid not. It just wasn't very memorable.

Still, if Valve can produce a fully-fledged VR game with the polish of The Lab, I'm interested....

I know everyone freaks out about Half-Life series, but I'm unfortunately in the "meh" camp. I played HL1 and HL2 ages ago and still have the discs. Can I even remember what it was like playing it at the time? Nope, 'fraid not. It just wasn't very memorable.

Still, if Valve can produce a fully-fledged VR game with the polish of The Lab, I'm interested....
Heathen! ;)

Some really great opinions and perspectives on what this could and should be on this weeks Giant Bombcast. Well worth a listen. You don't bet against Valve, but they could easily get this wrong.

@ArmitageShanks have to agree with you. I remember really enjoying Half-life but it's been soooooo long I've forgotten everything and I'm really not feeling invested in the world or the characters. There is a good chance that will all change as soon as I fire this up though.

@Nivek TT I have fond memories of FarCry which I think came out around the same time as HL2 (or even earlier perhaps). It had fantastic graphics and physics for the time, and was generally an enjoyable game to play (at least before it turned into a silly monsterfest in the second half).

I think Half Life and Half Life 2 were so big because at the time the Source Engine was streets ahead of any other engines available at the time in terms of eye candy and performance. If you start up Half Life 2 today it doesn't show its age.

They basically changed the landscape for FPS games. Both games at the time of there release were monumental. That's why you generally see them listed very high up in some of the greatest games of all time lists. Sure there old games now and playing them today shows there age a lot but at the time they were amazing. Im very interested to see just how high quality valve can put out a new Half life game. Its a shame its not Half Life 3 and its VR only but if its to a very high quality then I maybe tempted.

I've heard it won't work on the Index is this true?

Where did you hear that?

Since it's a Valve game (presumably) created to promote Valve hardware this seems highly unlikely.

Since it's not even formally announced yet, this just seems like a daft rumour that only a silly fool would believe,

Where did you hear that?

Since it's a Valve game (presumably) created to promote Valve hardware this seems highly unlikely.

Since it's not even formally announced yet, this just seems like a daft rumour that only a silly fool would believe,

Sorry mate it was a silly joke, based on the fact it's a Valve game for Valve hardware as you say.

The excitement is ruining my humour, which was previously impeccable.

I've heard it won't work on the Index is this true?
lol i would be a sizable sum against that.

i doubt it will natively support the rift, (however pretty sure it will work on that as well)

edit... should have read whole thread!.

Well this looks pretty good and according to the support section on the site it supports all the major headsets including the tethered Oculus Quest! I am a little disappointed that is not out this year but I still have a few games to play and intend the binge on Red Dead 2 when it his Steam next month.

1574360377750.png

1574360428008.png

1574360465482.png

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom