Quantcast

Half Life: Alyx!!!

ArmitageShanks

Considering it comes free with my Index controllers, I'm really looking forward to this!

Atmos

Valve are also releasing environments from the game in the run up. Should be interesting.

kenshingintoki

I'm really intrigued to see how this game runs performance wise.

Stormland I've found is the only comparable game visual wise, and thats pushing hardware a fair bit.

I hope Valve have solved the VR optimisation issue for the higher end, more demanding, games.

huxley

3 years and 80 people for 15 hours of AAA content is neither slow or lazy. I guess you can’t please some people.
I think he meant in general. When you consider the size of valve their release history in the last five years has been a bit rubbish.

How many times over the last 3 years did you call Valve a lazy bunch of W*****s again?
They should have had Half Life 2 VR available on day one of both headsets launching in 2016. They could have had a team of 3 developers and 3 or 4 testers completing this job in 6 months. Not doing this is UNFORGIVABLE to me personally. I and many others wouldn't have minded paying AGAIN for a VR version (even though we would have moaned about it before parting with the cash lol).

kenshingintoki

They should have had Half Life 2 VR available on day one of both headsets launching in 2016. They could have had a team of 3 developers and 3 or 4 testers completing this job in 6 months. Not doing this is UNFORGIVABLE to me personally. I and many others wouldn't have minded paying AGAIN for a VR version (even though we would have moaned about it before parting with the cash lol).
No.

Valve have extremely high standards for their video games and a tacked on vr mod officially supported for them might have set the suspected bar for VR lower than what their quality expected.

Sure we would like it but they have a brand and reputation to protect.

For all we know, Alyx is the minimum standard of VR that Valve would want to attach their name to.

As much as they might have made a quick buck, they may have lost potential VR users who would play HL2 VR with a tacked on mod and found the advantages of VR limited.

Just because Valve didn’t do what you’d like to do, is very shortsighted as a reason to call them lazy.

Atmos

But I wanted CSGO VR, then I wanted Portal VR, then I wanted L4D VR, then I wanted HL in VR, then I wanted Team Fortress 2 VR, I want I want I want...... Lol

But what we’re getting is something better. Something original. Something designed from the ground up for VR. Something that looks better than any game Valve have made before. All for a small portion of Steam users with a VR headset. Maybe this will be the best VR game to date, we don’t have long to find out. Let’s be thankful Valve delivered.

Atmos

Over the last 3 years, they’ve produced the best VR headset to date, the best controllers to date and shortly the best VR game to date. They’re now at the forefront of PCVR on every level (apart from price).

huxley

I would say they have produced a premium headset. The normal measure of "best" is normally dictated by sales. Well done Sony. Controllers would suit most innovative as a description. Best VR game? I hope so :) Not long to go.

I would say they have produced a premium headset. The normal measure of "best" is normally dictated by sales. Well done Sony. Controllers would suit most innovative as a description. Best VR game? I hope so :) Not long to go.
And they're not even THAT innovative either. It's more of a refinement of the innovation of finger tracking that Oculus brought to VR motion controllers a couple of years earlier.

As for best VR game that's VERY subjective. Many would class Elite Dangerous as the best VR game, others would class a few of the Oculus-funded games as the best VR game and others would say that Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR fit the bill. It'll DEFINITELY be ONE of the best VR games out there but we'll have to wait and see how good it is.

For me personally NOTHING comes close to beating Elite Dangerous. It's awesome.

huxley

Well no one can judge as its not out yet. Its Boneworks all over again, everyone and their dog was so hard for that and then it got all droopy very fast within a week of release.

Atmos

Well no one can judge as its not out yet. Its Boneworks all over again, everyone and their dog was so hard for that and then it got all droopy very fast within a week of release.
But with Boneworks we knew it was just puzzels. Alyx is a full on charracter driven story in VR. I downgraded my Boneworks expectations long before release and gave it 6/10 on release. Alyx will be 8/10 at worse and 10/10 at best.

huxley

Well Valve have faith in their product. Why else would they be releasing the same time as Doom Eternal and...…………….. Animal Crossing!
Gonna be a busy month!