Half Life: Alyx!!!

I finished it recently too 😎 Awesome game, just incredible. I grew up with space invaders and thought dragons lair etc. was amazing, but to see what is capable these days is phenomenal.

If anything, I was a little disappointed with
the ending though. It didn’t mean too much to me, and I’d been carrying around a bottle of vodka for ages to give to Russell, but never got the chance!,

Question is, where do I go from here, what game is next that can repeat this experience??

I finished it recently too 😎 Awesome game, just incredible. I grew up with space invaders and thought dragons lair etc. was amazing, but to see what is capable these days is phenomenal.

the ending though. It didn’t mean too much to me, and I’d been carrying around a bottle of vodka for ages to give to Russell, but never got the chance!,

Question is, where do I go from here, what game is next that can repeat this experience??

Well done. The problem is there is no other game that will give you this level of experience. If you have an Oculus account you can try Lone Echo. If you’ve never played Skyrim then SkyrimVR is amazing and will keep you going for weeks. No Mans Sky is brilliant and worth every penny. Flying from planet to planet, exploring and building bases in the most amazing environments in jaw dropping.

Get ready for a long list lol

The best quality VR titles, in no particular order, imo are:

Skyrim VR (with the Wabbajack VR Essentials Mod Pack)
Fallout 4 VR
No Man's Sky VR
Echo Arena
Lone Echo
SuperHOT VR
Killing Floor Incursion
Wilson's Heart
Lucky's Tale
Stormland
Asgard's Wrath
Arizona Sunshine
Arktika.1
Wilson's Heart
Moss
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Chronos
Edge Of Nowhere
The Climb
Dead & Buried
Dead & Buried 2
In Death
From Other Suns
Robinson The Journey
LA Noir: The VR Case Files
Mage's Tale
Vader Immortal
Theseus
Technolust
Borderlands 2 VR
Narcosis
Windlands
Windlands 2
Obduction
The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter VR
The Exorcist Legion VR
Elite Dangerous
DiRT Rally
War Thunder
DCS World
Project CARS 2
Assetto Corsa
Alien Isolation VR Mod
Doom 3 BFG VR Mod

I've probably missed a few out but those should keep you busy lol 😂

Edit: Forgot No Man's Sky!!!

Last edited:
Get ready for a long list lol

The best quality VR titles, in no particular order, imo are:

Skyrim VR (with the Wabbajack VR Essentials Mod Pack)
Fallout 4 VR
Echo Arena
Lone Echo
SuperHOT VR
Killing Floor Incursion
Wilson's Heart
Lucky's Tale
Stormland
Asgard's Wrath
Arizona Sunshine
Arktika.1
Wilson's Heart
Moss
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Chronos
Edge Of Nowhere
The Climb
Dead & Buried
Dead & Buried 2
In Death
From Other Suns
Robinson The Journey
LA Noir: The VR Case Files
Mage's Tale
Vader Immortal
Theseus
Technolust
Borderlands 2 VR
Narcosis
Windlands
Windlands 2
Obduction
The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter VR
The Exorcist Legion VR
Elite Dangerous
DiRT Rally
War Thunder
DCS World
Project CARS 2
Assetto Corsa
Alien Isolation VR Mod
Doom 3 BFG VR Mod

I've probably missed a few out but those should keep you busy lol 😂

Ok, not lacking for choice then 🙂
I guess it’s just a case of picking one and cracking on.

Of those, I’ve tried Asgard’s Wrath, although didn’t get too far, and Quest versions of Arizona Sunshine, Superhot, Vader Immortal, Dead & Buried.

I may look at Walking Dead S&S next, or the ones Atmos mentioned.

Alien Isolation? you wont regret it, its one of the few games that hold up to Alyx graphically and suspense wise

How difficult is Alyx to run?

I have a half decent gaming pc with ryzen 2500 and 980 Ti and wondered if I could run it?

Half-Life: Alyx is built to push your system to its limits. The first time you launch Half-Life: Alyx (or when your hardware changes), the game will automatically benchmark your CPU and GPU, look at the available system memory, and try to pick the most appropriate graphics settings. That said, there's always room to fine-tune and push the envelope further. Half-Life: Alyx can keep an 8-core CPU with a 12GB GPU completely busy running complex VR gameplay at up to 144Hz—but even if your PC doesn't look anything like that, we encourage looking through the game's advanced performance options and seeing how high your system can go. From the main menu, navigate to (visit Settings > Performance and click the gear icon in the bottom left corner).

Since every PC is different, there are always ways to further fine tune the experience to get the most out of your setup. If you are having technical issues or think you could be getting better performance out of your system when playing Half-Life: Alyx, here are some performance and troubleshooting tips.

Minimum:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 12 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

Well done. The problem is there is no other game that will give you this level of experience. If you have an Oculus account you can try Lone Echo. If you’ve never played Skyrim then SkyrimVR is amazing and will keep you going for weeks. No Mans Sky is brilliant and worth every penny. Flying from planet to planet, exploring and building bases in the most amazing environments in jaw dropping.

It could be argued that Asgard's Wrath gives an even BETTER experience. Certainly a much longer one.

Half Life Alyx only looks as good as it does because it's basically a corridor shooter so they can up the IQ without tanking performance (it's why I've decided to go the same way with my game too).

Asgard's Wrath looks almost as good in terms of IQ but has open levels due to the God Mode gameplay. Technically, from a developer's perspective, it's more impressive than Half Life Alyx 😎

Am on Chapter 3 now, just played half an hour and had to stop because I was in bloody AGONY. I can only do 30 minutes tops, but 10-15 minutes at a time is A LOT less painful 😭

Not entirely happy with some of the game design though. There's nothing more annoying than having doors that are only one way. If they had lowered the IQ a little they could have had less loading times so no need for one way doors.

Also not too happy with not being able to run, the jump mechanic and worst of all NO fudgeING CROWBAR!!!!

How can you POSSIBLY have a Half Life game without a fudgeing crowbar?!!?!? 😡🤬😡

I'm still debating on whether to have a jump button or not in my game tbh. I think I will because then I can have more platformy-ness to my levels. 😎😁😎

It could be argued that Asgard's Wrath gives an even BETTER experience. Certainly a much longer one.

Half Life Alyx only looks as good as it does because it's basically a corridor shooter so they can up the IQ without tanking performance (it's why I've decided to go the same way with my game too).

Asgard's Wrath looks almost as good in terms of IQ but has open levels due to the God Mode gameplay. Technically, from a developer's perspective, it's more impressive than Half Life Alyx 😎

Am on Chapter 3 now, just played half an hour and had to stop because I was in bloody AGONY. I can only do 30 minutes tops, but 10-15 minutes at a time is A LOT less painful 😭

Not entirely happy with some of the game design though. There's nothing more annoying than having doors that are only one way. If they had lowered the IQ a little they could have had less loading times so no need for one way doors.

Also not too happy with not being able to run, the jump mechanic and worst of all NO fudgeING CROWBAR!!!!

How can you POSSIBLY have a Half Life game without a fudgeing crowbar?!!?!? 😡🤬😡

I'm still debating on whether to have a jump button or not in my game tbh. I think I will because then I can have more platformy-ness to my levels. 😎😁😎

Have you tried playing it sitting down? . I would have thought it would be possible to play quite a lot of it like that, I don’t remember having to move around too much playing it.

Asgard's Wrath cant be compared to Alyx. Half Life Alyx is a high quality visual representation of a post apocalyptic future with a compelling story line that ties into a long (very long) story.
Asgard's Wrath is a user friendly Skyrim clone with some fairly bland graphics, it has some innovative gameplay mechanics, that's about it.

Asgard's Wrath cant be compared to Alyx. Half Life Alyx is a high quality visual representation of a post apocalyptic future with a compelling story line that ties into a long (very long) story.
Asgard's Wrath is a user friendly Skyrim clone with some fairly bland graphics, it has some innovative gameplay mechanics, that's about it.

Again, I'm talking about this from a developer's perspective. Asgard's Wrath is technically more impressive. And it's NOTHING like Skyrim, don't know where you got that idea from.

Its more like Skyrim than any other type of game. Wasn't my cup of tea to be honest.

Have you tried playing it sitting down? . I would have thought it would be possible to play quite a lot of it like that, I don’t remember having to move around too much playing it.

It isn't the same sitting down, reduces presence quite considerably unfortunately. 😭

I'll just have to play it in small doses.

Don't have one, but even if I did it still wouldn't be the same as standing up and feeling both feet on the ground.

Is there a reason for the discomfort, something related to the gameplay or movement in the game?

Is there a reason for the discomfort, something related to the gameplay or movement in the game?

I broke my leg a couple of years ago and when they operated to put a metal rod in the breaks were so bad that they took four times longer than usual to put it all together and once they did my leg was 1cm shorter.

So the metal rod, being the size for a leg 1cm bigger, is poking through my kneecap 🤢🤮🤢

This meant that I've been unable to do the exercises to build the strength of the leg back up, and that combined with one leg being shorter than the other (which puts pressure on my back) means that it's physically uncomfortable to play for longer than 10 minutes.

Nothing to do with the game itself, I have this problem playing all games standing up.

I do recall you mentioning the leg issue in the past. I messed up my ankle a while back and used a raised drum stool, I turned by using my one good leg. It was a sort of mid way to standing.

How about one of those walking stick seat things you can get?

4310---0.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom