1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by MrFurious, Apr 17, 2004.

1. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    have you watched the videos with pc gamer dvd,its stunning,just worried now that it wont run when it finally comes out,which will be when exactly?

2. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Im trying not to think about HL2 at all anymore:rolleyes:

IMO it is gonna be the biggest game release in years possibly ever(only imo of course)and from what I have seen and read the game is gonna raise the bar to a whole new level.Im just sick of feeling let down every time it is delayed another few months(what a sad life I must lead),so Im just gonna try to ignore it till late August when it should all start kicking off;providing of course that they dont delay it till Christmas for marketing purposes.

Just got to enjoy the summer now and then have HL2 and the plethera of mods which will accompany it to see me through the winter months:lease:

3. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    and hopefully our graphic cards will run the damn thing

4. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I dont think its expected to be released till November now is it? Im sure I read that somewhere.

I just don't know what to do. After exams are over in June the summer months invite me to indulge in a Graphics card, projector and some gaming and home cinema...

But Half Life CS was quality, Far Cry looks very good too but should I jump in and play FC and buy a new graphics card now or wait save and have the ultimate HL2 gaming experience, thus holding back planning so that I will be the best HL2 gamer in the world HAHAHA!

5. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    im in the same boat dont want to buty a card then find out that it dont work so good on HL2 but there are a few cards on the market with a free half life coupon so these should run HL2 top spec surley???

6. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Don't buy a card now to run HL2, cos you have no idea when it will be released.

If you need a new card right now (for the games you currently play), then wait untill the upcoming new ATI product is released then make your choice between the Nvidia 6800 and the Radeon X800. Be warned that by the time HL2 is released (if they actually do release the stupid game by the end of the year, honestly don't hold your breath) we will be another 1 or 2 generations along in video card tech.

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I can't see how HL2 can possibly top Farcry. It looks positively limited in comparison. As well as tiny levels.

It better be bloody good or I'll still be playing FC then.

8. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I sugguest you wait and see ...... Far Cry will be passe like most other games by the time HL comes out - very few games last en vogue for more than a month or so...... but the original HL is still installed on more internet multiplayers computers than any other game ... albeit for running mods like Counter Strike. In my 23 years of gameing, I've seen alot of games get raved up for a month only to be forget when the new best thing arrives, its only those games with the extra dimensions rather than just being a prettier shooter that manage to stand the test of time.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,753
    I can't wait for Duke Nukem ;)

10. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your talking about the gaming community at large, how do you know I won't be playing it in 6 months time?

Have you played it online? Its a great experience, of course I'll be playing in six months time.

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    The thing is, unless you are a player that replays a single player game over and over after you have completed it - which is not common in FPS, then its down to the gameplaying community at large as to whether you can play in six months. If the games multiplayer does not hold up against other games, then there will be little or no server support later on.

It usually costs money to provide game servers on the web - hosting a game thats not popular means wasteing resources that could be better utilised. Having been envolved in serveral games communities at admin level and hosting multiplayer servers myself ( not from home ), I've been envovled in the discussions about server usuage and the ecconomics of scale .... and many games have only had a brief hosting life. You often find that servers in the UK only host the most popular games due to cost of hosting, while sometimes less popular games live longer on servers in the USA and other countries where connection costs and hosting is less expensive. Which is fine if you can put up with the high pings and lag - but realistically you need a game server in the UK ( if thats where you are based along with this this site ) to be able to have a reasobable and viable game experience

That only leaves self hosting - which is limited by server factors:
    1) getting enough freinds with the game installed and interested in playing on at the same time .... not easy to sort out 6 months or more after a games release if other newer games, the wife,kids, films,job and other factors provide distractions.
    2) Unless you are hosting on a seperate pc at home, you system resources will be tapped out and may well limit your ability to play - especially with more than a couple of players - .
    3) Your connection bandwidth will aslo be an issue - limiting the amount of players that can connect to a low figure to remain playable.
    4) If you are the one hosting - then you need to have a stable connection with time to spare.... nothing worse than joining a gamers server with a group of freinds only to find the hoster has to close down to go for a meal or let someone else in the house hold send some emails etc.

--------------------------
    From my perspective as a gamer, I hope you are playing and enjoying the game in 6 months or more. This post is not a direct comment at you personally - I've taken your comments and put them in a broader context. Its just a general comment on the reality of games and their longevity.

12. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To tell you the truth I rarely play any game online, for me its the single player experience thats paramount. But having said that I do of course enjoy online gaming.

Your words ring true though, many a great game has slipped away because of the hoards don't support it.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I agree 100% Ethics Gradient, an FPS these days MUST have a great multiplayer aspect to it, if it wants to survive more than a few months.

No other FPS so far has come anywhere near as close to the original Half Life in terms of lastability and that is solely down to the modding community. Other games have had annual updates (Quake/UT) but Half life is still the same game engine that came out 6 years ago! I know they've released various generations versions, Day of Defeat and Counter Strike-condition Zero but what they have also done is resist the temptation to release cheap updates to their engine every year. This has allowed the Mod community a stable platform to work on which they knew was not going to be replaced by another version next year. Why build mods for UT2004 as it won't be 5 minutes until the next version comes out.

The thing is that everyone knows about the HL mod community now and they know that this will continue with HL2 (probably for another 6 years!). We know that when we buy a Half Life game, we do not just get a fantastic out of the box single and multiplayer game but we also get the mods that people design for it. Now that's what I call value for money and lastability from a game! I still play HL mods now (as they are still some of the best FPS games about) and I can't think of any other game that has been on my Hard Disk for 6 years!

HL2 will be, without a doubt, one of the most successful PC games of all time. DOOM3 will be good but will come and go, Halo 2 will be good but will come and go - HL2 will probably still be on your hard disk come 2010!

14. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    if youre all after a card that will run HL2well why dont you find out what the demo is running on

15. Venom1969

Venom1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The game was running on a 9800 Pro and it played fine. Far Cry seems to stress the card even more. With all the development time it should be a cracker. Notice the word should.

Gabe newell says they won't release the game until it's absolutely perfect and they'll take as long as needed, even postponing the game til next year. As was said on another forum, it's very similiar to the daikaitana debacle. Years spend on programming for a totally lacklustre game. ... I know this is Valve were talking about, sometimes getting the game out is more important than waiting forever.... :lesson:

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    True, there must come an end point where the game is actually released, otherwise the development time becomes simply pointless. It's just as well that Valve left HL2's announcement until so late in it's development otherwise it would have seemed like an eternity until it's release!

The mod support that is virtually assured to HL2 will make it the most significant FPS release since HL. Let's face it, we all want to play counterstrike and day of defeat on the new engine :lease:

17. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I hope we have moved on since Counter Strike;if all we have to look forward to from the flood of mods is a rehashed version of counter strike I think that will be very sad.

You should also remember that HL2 is going to support vehicles as well which is gonna add a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

Heres just a couple of the mods which are gonna be coming our way:
    http://www.eternal-silence.net/index.php
    http://www.junglemistmod.com/?pg=home&title=Home
    http://nmrh.hlgaming.com/
    http://www.opcoin.net/

Just from those couple of mods you can get an idea of how varied these free mods are gonna be.TBH I coudnt care less if they released a new Counter strike unless they have changed and improved it dramatically,its called progress innit:clap:

Regarding the recent stories doing the rounds,apparently they are literally just that:stories.The quotes have been taken out of context and the game is still due for release this year(lol,apparently;) )

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    WoW those mods are looking very nice Mr Jason B! I too hope that we get a much more varied selection of mods this time. CS, NS and DOD were great in the HL days but you are right we expect more now from these free mods.

I think we will see the old faves return but they will be massivly enhanced, both in terms of graphics and depth of gameplay. That said there's still sod all IMO to touch the likes of DoD when it comes to an online multiplayer WWII game. Yes MOHAA, COA and BF1942 are ok but DoD is simply much more fun to play, whether it's got vehicles or not. The fact is, the people behind CS and DOD are genius's who have made two fantastic games in their own right - the way they still not only stand up to, but surpass many of the current generation of online shooters is amazing!

Personally if they could give me a graphically enhanced HL2 version of DoD, with bigger levels, which retained the originals superb gameplay, then i'd be in heaven! Vehicles would be a nice addition to it, along with the real world physics, more interative scenery, a further draw distance and more players allowed on map.

I feel that HL2 is the game that will bring MODS really into the mainstream. Broadband connections are now almost the standard, online gaming has become far more popular of late and people are far more aware of the likes of HL2, CS, DOD than they were when the original HL came out and when the mods were first released. There's none of this, wait several hours to download the mod over a phone line or ISDN line these days and this helps open up the genre to more than your hardcore gamer.

I can't wait for the game to surface, it will be one of the most influential PC games ever to be released.

19. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    couldn't agree more - can't wait for them to change football, cricket, athletics etc - maybe introduce bazookas and motorbikes.....
    ... or maybe we could just improve the visual experience and keep the game play dynamics pretty much as they are for the most played online game ever ;) :lesson:

The more mods and variation the better - means more life span for any game engine. However, if you have game formula that works and that alot of people enjoy, trying to change it for the sake of change is not necessarily progress.

20. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I must admit I have played nearly every online FPS in the last 4 years (still waiting for Soldner to sort out their "beta"!). None have come near CS IMO.

I will be happy to simply have a rehash, the classic levels have just been so well designed on the most part and the actual gameplay is superb. It is just so well positioned between arcade shooter and tactical shooter that nothing comes close.

At least for public play. True some of the other games can offer better experiences but I have found they need dedicated play with clans to get the most out of them.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Exactly Sinzer & EG, whilst new ideas and games are a good thing, it does not mean that they should abandon proven games like CS & DoD. The way I see it, these games are classics, definately 2 of the best FPS games ever released and the new engine (providing they don't lose the 'soul' of the games during the translation) should produce the best versions of them yet. The real world physics etc opens up a massive opportunity for sports and (with the vehicles) maybe racing games or even flight sims to be developed using this engine. Also what about doing more of a 3D platformer, like Prince of Persia - the potential with HL2 is endless as far as I can see.

22. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    :rolleyes: Pong was great fun when it was released,perhaps we should have stuck with that eh?

Maybe its just me,but I was never blown away by camper strike;sure its a good game,but pretty shallow by todays standards.I loved Q3 when it was released but wouldnt even consider buying a game now that just involved run and shoot gameplay,IMO we have moved on and personally I expect more than that.

I dont dispute Counter Strike is a good quality,basic,well balanced game but I also believe that a lot of its longevity can be attributed to its low system requirements.People who havent upgraded their pc for 5 years can happily play Counterstrike but have no chance in hell of playing any of the current crop of FPS games.

At the end of the day,its each to their own;if you are happy with something like Camper strike,good for you,personally I prefer a bit more variety to the gameplay.One thing that is certain is HL2 will open the floodgates for a huge selection of mods which will have more than enough to keep everyone happy:smashin:

23. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  24. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,753
    Are they still trying to claim that the delay is because of the "security breach" last year ? If so, I'm sorry I don't believe them !

25. kennyb

kennyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my lowly opinion i think doom 3 will blow half life 2 away

26. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Isnt Doom 3 just going to be single player?I think its gonna have to be a bloody amazing single player experience to compete with HL2s grounbreaking graphics,physics and huge multiplayer community:smoke:

27. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope they are both great games.

The more the better I say but I wouldn't bet on Doom 3. From the progress so far HL2 looks in another league to doom 3 and Farcry again looks like it could beat the lot of them, personally I love it and all that it brings to the genre.

Remember the 'Nature' demo of 3dmark2001? I remember seeing it for the first time and saying 'when are we going to see graphics like that' well farcry is all that and more.

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    A good game is a good game IMO full stop. A technically better game isn't always better, Unreal 2 is a testiment to that. Anyway Chess was 'released' back in around 600AD we believe and many still regard this to be not only the best 'board' game available but the best 'strategy' game available as well.

Oh and Pong is still far more fun to play than the majority of games that get released today IMO. I was never a Q3 fan, but then again i've always liked shooters that required a little more thought to play as opposed to just being an all out reaction test.

I would love to see a load of new mods and i'm quite excited by what may come out. I would also love to see another counter terrorist game and another WWII game as with the HL2 engine the CS and DoD teams will be able to produce some amazing results! Also who said that new versions of CS and DoD will be basic and just like their version 1 forebearers?

Also whilst I will definately buy it and most likely enjoy it a lot, I can not see Doom3 having the lasting appeal of HL2 with it's multiplayer mod community.