1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2 Xbox Screens :O

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Kopite4Ever, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
  2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is why i have a good pc. it doesnt look anywhere near as ghood as the pc version.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    join the club, cant beat the visuals/performance from a good pc system. still amazing what they can do with the xbox though

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,948
    They look great for the X-Box! Naturally they aren't as good as on a £2k PC but for a £95 quid console they are amazing! :thumbsup:

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2k a little bit on the high side

i think 1K is much closer maybe even less, still a huge difference to consoles, but defo nothing like 2K

And if you have a LCD TV, Plasma etc and dont need the monitor then you could put a top spec PC together for £600 - £700 easy

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Great reason for a thread. Nice to see some pictures. Shame it has to be spoilt by PC nurds stating the obvious thu ;)

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the obvious is that a pc if far better than an xbox why havent you already switched?

i dont spend anywhere near 2k on my pc, perhaps 1k at the very most, though i did get a graphics card free, so i suppose thats about £200 off the price.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,948
    I have got a PC and have completed HL2 on it. I don't see why people have to switch though. Generally I find that I use my consoles for games much more than my PC.

Anyway the point is that the graphics are great for the X-Box and it will be a superb game for those who haven't been able to play it on PC. If they add live support in with maybe a co-op game or something then it could end up being better than the PC version, even though graphically it isn't good. What has impressed me is that we've now had Doom 3 and soon HL2 on the X-Box with graphics at almost PC quality (albeit at a naturally lower resolution) from a console coming to the end of it's life. Don't forget that the 2 games in question were both heralded as state of the art for the PC when released less than 6 months ago.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    When I was young, PC meant Police Constable :confused:

Cap.

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    cant agree more its not bad this xbox at the end of its days. im lucky i basically like some have the best of both worlds, pc & consoles. if its a choice i will usually get the pc version having said that ive been getting certain games on both platforms so its great :thumbsup:

cant wait to see some proper screens and not some pic taken from a tv. even farcry images ive seen on the Xbox look amazing but suffer from the usual things like Full screen AA and low res but still for people who missed the pc version a welcome addition to the Xbox catalouge

11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    How do you know what I've got? For all you know I've got a PC & Xbox.

Point I was making was that someone posts some interesting screen shots and then theres a flurry of PC better than xbox posts...which really is stating the obviously and doesn't add anything to the thread. People choose to buy things for different reasons. Some people have a xbox & GC in the lounge and a PC in their office... Others can only afford a PC ;)

12. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    One advantage with a console is that you dont have to upgrade on a weekly basis just to get a decent framerate, while I use both I'll happily take this version of HL2 on the XBox. Am I stating the obvious?

13. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Incidentally those shot do not do it justice, they are running at 480i, and were snapped. Im sure actual screen grabs in 480p/720p would look far better and be more indictative of what we will end up with.

14. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Yea you are mate :) Don't think theres anyone one that doesn't know that...although the time period may be in dispute :D spose it evens it out a bit though ;)

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well those are the worst taken shots I have ever seen. Its like a crap digital camera taking pictures of the game running on a 14" portable.

I cant see how anyone can pass judgement without proper screen captures :rolleyes: That said the graphics look very impressive. More so when you consider the xbox is the equivalent of a 4 year old PC.

I ask you would the game look anywhere that good on a 4 year old PC ? And how much would it have cost ?

Dont make me laugh. We will come back and make comparisons when Xbox 360 is launched and running on a proper HD setup. We can compare like for like with your PC then. On everything but cost that is :rolleyes:

16. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wont be more than a few months until XBOX 360 or whatever its name is will be surpassed again by PC evolution, now whether you have the money or want to keep up with PCs is irrelevant for the ones that do they will still have the best gaming platform :)

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its not the money its the time and Inclination. Some people dont want to spend there whole life in front of a pc :)

18. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    if you notice the url of the link(jeux-france.com) or something like that. then thats probably the best that the French could lay their hands on. Living as close as i do to france i have 1st hand experience that they are still impressed by colour tv!

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,948
    I agree Harris - I see the long term future of gaming to be via high powered consoles running on Hi Def screens. I used to be a Huge PC Gamer but I must admit that the current gen of consoles has drawn me away somewhat. PC gaming will become more & more niche IMO as console gaming increases more & more in popularity.

Regarding HL2 - I think that if they just port the PC version it will be a bit poor, but if they sit down & generate some really good Live content (co-op etc) then it could be a superb game! :clap:

20. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really pains me to say it but i will prob get a XBOX360 after all i have said to go ALONG side revolution

And thats purely for some decent racing games in Hi Def which does appeal to me

21. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    co-op HL2, on xbox live, now were getting somewhere :)

22. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    That really did make me laugh :D

23. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Jeez.
    Life's too short.

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,948
    Personally I think it's about right - any longer and it could start dragging on and any shorter then you may not have time to do all you want. :D

25. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Can't believe some of the irrelevant fanboy Xbox bashing comments based on some badly snapped screenshots. Run HL2 on a PC at standard video resolutions (which I have done on my plasma) and it will look like the Xbox version . I'm sure it will be at least as enjoyable as the PC version.

I've got 3 PCs in the house and an Xbox and I had a PS2 and I've been gaming since the days of the ZX81 and I do NOT understand people's enthusiasm for knocking other platforms. I'd quite happily buy a platform/new gpu to play a single game I fancied (gamecube for RE4 methinks).

These useless pedantic comments that come out of the woodwork such as "it won't be as good as the PC version" (said in a mewling falsetto) especially based on the evidence of a few blurry screenshots.

I ask you what is the point ? Go and polish your keyboard or something instead of making irrelevant console bashing statements in a console gaming forum.

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,948
    Indeed Keith, well said. For some reason some people think that because they play games on a PC they are above Console gamers. I tend to play the majority of my games on consoles through choice (I just prefer the overall expreience for most games) but i'll always have a decent PC for things like sims and some strategy games. What I don't do is get all anal about it and slag off console games because they are not displayed in 1280 x 1024 or above resolution! I own the majority of the leading platforms (including the PS2, X-Box, GC, PSP and 3 PC's (Gaming, MAME and Laptop)) and enjoy a good game on any of them! One thing X-Box has got very right is the Live service which gives me an online experience far better than I can achieve from a PC.

At the end of the day if X-Box HL2 had say a co-op live mode but lower res graphics than the PC version, then i'd personally go for the X-Box version.

27. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whos slagged off Console owners in this thread?
    dont you think thats abit over the top?

I am sure alot of PC owners have consoles as well i know i do as PC games are tops for FPS but you cant play many decent racing games or the fun party games on PC so i would always want a console along side my PC.

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,948
    Not really, if you read back over the thread you will see that for some reason some people just can't help stating the obvious. Naturally the X-box graphics will not be as high a resolution as the PC version as the X-Box isn't capable of PC resolutions. I just find it a shame that every time someone discusses an X-Box game, that is also available on PC, we have to go through the same old pointless discussion about resolution etc. We had the same in the Doom3 thread.

I simply tire of reading potentially interesting threads that end up being no more than people stating the obvious fact that the X-Box can not produce graphics of the standard of today's PCs.

You state that PC technology will eventually overtake the X-Box 360 in terms of power and this will no doubt be true. Whether that will make the PC the better gaming platform or not is another thing entirely though. I tend to look further than just polygon counts, texture detail and screen resolution when considering what I percieve to be the best gaming platform.

29. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Well said gthom3 :)

Bit like saying my Renault5 turbo is faster and has a louder stereo than your Renault Espace so it's better. People buy them for completely different reasons. Parents with small kids don't want to tear around the town, windows down annoying the whole population of the local town with their cr@p music (thinking they look cool when 99% of the population think they're morons) and spend whole weekends tinkering with their very fast and highly tuned but temperamental engine.

If I had an Espace (which I don't :) ) and a Renault 5 owner ran up to me and said..."my car is faster, louder and better than yours" I know what I'd say to them ;) ........."get a life young man...my car suites my needs and I'm not stopping you enjoy yours so what's the blinkin point in stating the obvious." :devil:

30. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Mods, Can we change the title of this threat please to "Xbox owners enjoying thiers..PC owners stating the obvious again"