1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2 using a Gforce4

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by DangerMouse!, Nov 16, 2004.

1. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a p4 2.66 which came with a Gforce TI 4200 card when I bought 2 years ago.

Has anyone run HL2 with a similar setup, if so did it look ok?

Anyone got any ideas on the best card to upgrade to?

thks

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    I plan on running it with a Ti4400. It should be OK on 1024 x 768 on medium settings. I played Doom 3 pretty well on mine with medium to high settings and that resolution & it looked great with little to no stutter. I'll have the game in a couple of days so i'll see what it's like. If it's diabolical then i'll consider an upgrade when I next have some cash.

3. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am running similar spec as you. I have a Medion PC with 2.67Gb Intel 4 and 768Mb ram. I have a Geforce 4 Ti4200 overclocked to 281 MHz core and 547 MHz memory.

Been playing CS:Source for a while and average around 47fps in 32 player games with everything maxed out bar anisotropic filtering that I have set to X2 and anti-aliasing set to none. Also, V-sync off. That is in 1280 x 720 widescreen.

Got HL2 yesterday (what a game :zonked: ). The graphics blow even CS:Source away and my average framerate is actually around 55 fps again with everything maxed out in 1280 x 720 widescreen resolution bar the above. It looks amazing. You definitely do not need to upgrade your graphics card for it. Just make sure you have at least the same Ram as me and you will be fine.

PS. Was wondering when Team Fortress would be out. Any ideas?

Fly

4. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Out of interest I just thought I would run the HL2 video stress test again with the latest Nvidia drivers and got the following results :-

With details as stated above = 47.12 fps
    With Anisotropic filtering off and using trilinear instead = 55.12fps
    With V-sync enabled = 32.12 fps :eek:

Whatever u do, disable V-sync. I don't know whether that is making a huge difference because I am driving a 42" plasma tv from my pc but OMG !!

Please note that these are stress tests which are suppose to simulate maximum graphical intensity during HL2 playing. My framerate under normal playing conditions is well in excess of these and has never once dropped below 40fps so far. Been using console command cl_showfps 1 to keep an eye on this.

Fly.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    There's a good article Here .

It mentions that HL2 will run fairly well on what are now quite lowely systems as opposed to Doom 3 which required more muscle. As D3 worked ok on mine i'm hopeful that HL2 will run pretty well.

6. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm going to be running it on p2.5 @ 2.8 and 1 gig of pc2700 and a TI4600 slightly overclocked so it will be interesting to see how it runs, could this be the reason i need to upgrade my graphics card??? Hope not as it plays Rome really well but i would like a DX9 card.......... Common Santa

7. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good article but there are some errors in it. Although the Ti 4200/400/600 cards do not support full DX9 feature set they do support certain features. They handle water effects and reflections fantastically. My stress test images look identical to those in the DX9 screen shots from that article.

To anyone thinking of upgrading just for HL2 I would get a head to head visual between suitably equipped machines before deciding whether they need to upgrade as I don't think you could tell much of a difference on this game, well accept from framerate.

Fly

8. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Flystar where do you get the stress test from?? Is it with the game or can i download it somewhere?

Ta

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    The stress test came out with the release of CS:Source. I'm not sure if it can be downloaded anyware but if it can i'd like to know where.

10. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is accessed through the main CS:Source menu. I downloaded HL2 & CS:Source through Steam.

Fly

11. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers guys, i take it that CS is part of the HL2 package, that should make a change to MOH online.

12. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the info, esp Flystar,
    I think I have the same Medion PC as you
    How did you overclocked the Ti4200?

13. custard

custard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 9800Pro, but find that HL2 judders. I think that 512M is not enough, particularly if you are running firewall and antivirus as well. I am getting an extra 512 tommorow which should sort it out.

14. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Dell Dimension 8300 with a gig of Ram, 120gb SATA hard disk and a GF ti4800 GF card ... took a while to get the right balance between looking good and playing good but Im pretty happy .. 1280x1024, every thing else on high ...

I still need a new GFX card tho but wont be getting one untl the Jan Sales :)

*edit* Oh my goodness - Ive just come across the water - not only the reflection took my breath away but the way each item behaves differently in the water - could have hours of fun just playing with the boxes etc ..

Oh and another thing - IVe really noticed the sound playing a big role - stops the old combine sneaking up on me - awsome !

Ill be posting some screens latet today- perhaps others could do the same ?

Nige

15. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So here are some of my screens early on in the game - running at 1280x1024 with everything set to high. No Antroscopic filtering (well set to triangualr) and no AA - Im running a P4 3Ghz with 1gb of RAM, 120gb SATA disk and a GeForce Ti4800 - ive got a nice balance between looking very good and playing very well - load times between waypoints is about 10 seconds, the music is clear and the FX effects are deep and powerful .. all in all a great experience !

Check em out here

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Yep I must say they look pretty much the same as on mine - it's amazing what a GF4 can do in this game. I'm running a XP2200+, 512 400mhz ram & a GF4 Ti 4400 and have the game set the same as you apart from my textures are set to medium (models on high). I get longer load times (about 20 secs - no SATA drive) and tend to get a brief judder just after a load but then it runs very smoothly! :thumbsup:

17. baron.samadi

baron.samadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if a creative gf fx5600 will work with half life 2?

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Yeah it works great with my GF4 (see above) so should be ok with a GF FX.

19. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dangermouse, I use Coolbits+ Reg tweak. I can send it you if you want. U just add it to your system reg by double clicking and it unveals another tab in the Nvidia properties for overclocking (It is an official part of the Nvidia drivers but is hidden by default so people dont start trying to claim on warranties for frazzled cards where they have over done it). It is only a really small file.

U can blow your card if u set the settings way too high. I have been using it for 2 years and the settings I use are optimal for that card/pc set up. Just use the values I have quoted and you will have no problems. I did have things set a bit higher than that (285Mhz core and 555Mhz memory) but as the Aldi PC runs fairly warm anyhow it did lock up occasionally after about eight hours of intensive action so I have been experimenting and my current settings have not led to any lock ups.

PS. U seen this years Aldi monster : http://uk.aldi.com/ ( :eek: Wot a spec for that price !! I think the graphics card card is a top spec Geforce 6 as well!)
    Fly

20. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Flystar you are the man,
    I downloaded the coolbits, overclocked the card and using the video stress test with everthing bar v/sync (What does that do?) set to the max in 1020x768 i got the following results:

Before overclock: 34 fps
    After overclock: 42.97

Now I just need some more RAM and I can finally enjoy this baby.

21. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Nice - Im always wary of overclocking in case it makes games / system unstable. I guess FPS is one thing but do you notice the difference with the 10+ increase in FPS ?

Nige

22. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad I could be of assistance. V-sync helps prevent what is known as 'visual tearing' where your monitor refresh rate is slightly out of sync with graphics card. When you turn it off and do a quick 360 rotation u will notice slight banding on screen from time to time. Enabling v-sync prevents this. It doesn't spoil the gameplay experience to me so I welcome the extra framerate.

Dangermouse, how much RAM you got? If you still got the original 256mb that came with the Medion you will definitely benefit from an upgrade. There are only two slots on the motherboard though so I would recommend buying a single 1Gb RAM chip and be done with it. I wish I had done this. The motherboard supports 2Gb in total. 1Gb costs about £80 I believe.

Fly

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Yeah great patch that Flystar! Got my FPS up from about 30 to 38 on 1280 x 1024 with High settings apart from texture detail. I've got water settings on Reflect World with trilinear filtering and no AA . I couldn't go above 290mhz (core) & 620mhz (memory) without artifacts apearing on screen though. It's a good improvement for nothing though. On 1024 x 780 on Medium settings I get about 70 FPS, which is amazing considering the specs of my system! (XP2200+, 512 400mhz DDR ram & Ti4400) :thumbsup: