1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half-Life 2 this year!?!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Lex, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From C & VG:

Gamestar claims to have information from a conference call from nVidia to business partners and analysts, and linking the game's release with its five year birthday in November.

What is surprising is the rumour states that Half-Life 2 will have a brand new engine designed by Valve from scratch, and not using the Quake 3 engine as previously anticipated. An Xbox version is also mooted, especially as the Microsoft machine has similar features to the current nVidia chips and that Valve founders learned the market know-how at Microsoft.

Valve, as we announced last May in our E3 interview, is creating a brand new 3D engine for Team Fortress 2 - which we now believe to be the same for Half-Life 2, and rumour has it, for the next incarnation of Counter-Strike. It's well known in the industry that graphics card manufacturers like ATI and nVidia have routinely have access to highly-secretive software to aid developmnt and compatibility with their next-generation cards, making a leak from highly-placed sources reasonably likely as a source.

--

Oh please please please please! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    IMHO, Valve have seriously harmed the franchise with delays and the debacle that was CS1.6BETA.

I've totally lost interest in all things Valve. They produced the finest game of all time and followed it up with what? A few reasonable mission packs and a couple of bought in mods?

HL2/TF2 is only slightly less funny than Duke Nukem Forever. At least Epic/Digital Realms/id can still cut the mustard.

D.

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree that it is a big disappointment that Half-Life was not followed up more quickly, however I did enjoy the add-on packs and Gunman Chronicles...
    I guess a lot will depend on this new Engine, that will make or break the game. If HL2 is as good as HL1 then I will forgive Valve! :clap:
    The bottom line is no-one has been able to come up with anything as good as Half-Life... Yes graphics have improved, but in terms of story & playability Half-Life stands alone :smashin:

4. Sam Fox

Sam Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Half-Life 2 this year Woohoo! :clap: Hope so!! :smashin:

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    although half-life is pretty much my favourite game ever a sequel will cost me £30 for the game and about £500 to upgrade my PC!:( Expensive damn game!

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I doubt the requirements will be that high. The engine requirements for CS:Condition Zero are very low for a new game, they realise that a lot of players (and buyers) run low power rigs.

I think Doom3 will be for the eye candy and CS:CZ for the gameplay! If CS:CZ doesn't turn out to be a crock of dogs eggs.