Half Life 2: The Orange Box - Play & Help

Edz72

I don't suppose anyone has played EP:2 through yet, as this is supposed to be the worst for slowdown?

I have the game but am still making my way through HL2 before I start Ep:2. So far so good, noticed slowdown in HL2 but not enough to cause a problem. Both TF2 & Portal seem fine & I won't bother with EP:1 as I played it on the PC and thought it was rubbish..

omenII

I don't suppose anyone has played EP:2 through yet, as this is supposed to be the worst for slowdown?

I have the game but am still making my way through HL2 before I start Ep:2. So far so good, noticed slowdown in HL2 but not enough to cause a problem. Both TF2 & Portal seem fine & I won't bother with EP:1 as I played it on the PC and thought it was rubbish..
I've played through HL2, Episode One and am about a third through Episode Two now. Encountered the odd bit of slowdown here and there but nothing game breaking whatsoever. The two episodes look nicer and sharper than HL2 as the latter is port hell - a port of the 360 version which was in turn a lazy upscaled port of the original Xbox version. But at least the PS3 versions have AA. Imo, the games biggest issues are little bugs - couple of times in HL2 the screen went totally white or black when entering a room and couldnt exit because of it - and loading times. No attempt has been made to optimize loading points and there's no excuse for having to fully reload the same area when you die and restart at that point.

mightymaccers

I've played through HL2, Episode One and am about a third through Episode Two now. Encountered the odd bit of slowdown here and there but nothing game breaking whatsoever. The two episodes look nicer and sharper than HL2 as the latter is port hell - a port of the 360 version which was in turn a lazy upscaled port of the original Xbox version. But at least the PS3 versions have AA. Imo, the games biggest issues are little bugs - couple of times in HL2 the screen went totally white or black when entering a room and couldnt exit because of it - and loading times. No attempt has been made to optimize loading points and there's no excuse for having to fully reload the same area when you die and restart at that point.

I agree - HL2 looks pretty poor in comparison to Episode One (I haven't got to Episode Two yet), it just looks so much cleaner. Slowdown just really isn't an issue as I have only ever encountered it once in both games but the loading times take forever.

I didn't realise that HL2 was an upscaled 'port' of the original Xbox game - that would certainly explain the look. I wonder why they didn't just port the original PC code?

eaglemmoomin

I agree - HL2 looks pretty poor in comparison to Episode One (I haven't got to Episode Two yet), it just looks so much cleaner. Slowdown just really isn't an issue as I have only ever encountered it once in both games but the loading times take forever.

I didn't realise that HL2 was an upscaled 'port' of the original Xbox game - that would certainly explain the look. I wonder why they didn't just port the original PC code?

Where on earth did you get that from? I have both the xbox version and the 360 version and I can tell you right now thats rubbish. Lazy port......Fer gods sakes.....

For a start EA wrote the original Half Life 2 port for the xbox (and its none to brilliant when loaded let me tell you). Valve did the 360 port.

mightymaccers

Where on earth did you get that from? I have both the xbox version and the 360 version and I can tell you right now thats rubbish. Lazy port......Fer gods sakes.....

For a start EA wrote the original Half Life 2 port for the xbox (and its none to brilliant when loaded let me tell you). Valve did the 360 port.

I didn't say that was the case - check my post as I was replying to someone who did. Maybe Half-Life 2 is just showing it's age, I haven't seen it running on a PC to compare.

I am now on Chapter 4 of Episode Two and that game looks stunning, I have also had not a single problem with framerate. As soon as I have that nailed it's straight on to Portal.

I my opinion the Half-Life 2 games are simply the best single player FPS games on the PS3 and that includes Call of Duty 4. People really need to pick this box set up.

bonzobanana

I don't see how the original xbox game can be criticised. It was brilliant considering the limitations of the hardware. I'm pretty sure hl2 won't run on a 733mhz celeron pc with 64meg and a slow 8gig hard drive. It was a bloomin miracle. I played it through many times and was amazed at how good it was all things considered. I'm not so sure the 360 version is based on the xbox version as the xbox version had things missing to aid speed and I think they are in the 360 version although I'm not sure. Point is the 360 and PS3 versions should be many times better than they are but are still great entertainment because of the game design rather than the implementation on these consoles which is lacklustre.

mightymaccers

Just finished playing Portal - what a fantastic game! For once the hype was totally worth it, let's hope the Portal gun finds it's way to Gordon Freeman at some point!

I have now finished Half-Life 2, Episode One, Episode Two and Portal with Team Fortress 2 left to play - this is simply the greatest value game ever made and everone should be picking this up.

Oh and all the comments regarding the PS3 framerate - utter nonsense. I have counted two or three hiccups across the entire package yet I almost didn't purchase the game due to the negative reviews.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Just finished playing Portal - what a fantastic game! For once the hype was totally worth it, let's hope the Portal gun finds it's way to Gordon Freeman at some point!

I have now finished Half-Life 2, Episode One, Episode Two and Portal with Team Fortress 2 left to play - this is simply the greatest value game ever made and everone should be picking this up.

Oh and all the comments regarding the PS3 framerate - utter nonsense. I have counted two or three hiccups across the entire package yet I almost didn't purchase the game due to the negative reviews.

this is one of the few purchases that i was interested in of recent releases..having never played any of the legendary half-life series, im quite impressed...this will keep me going until..GTA 4, MGS4, and DMC4 did i mention RE 5..this year should be a great year for the ps3 !!!...

moob

You simply can't get better value for money than this title on the PS3 - totally agree.

Now, seeing as you've completed it - I played HL2 last night for the 1st time - admittedly I was hungover and a bit tired - but I've got stuck at the section where the fellas with those jumping creatures stuck to their heads come out of the ground and there are a lot of electrical cables sparking near the radioactive stream/storm drain.

Where am I supposed to go at this point, and how do I do it?

TIA.

mightymaccers

You simply can't get better value for money than this title on the PS3 - totally agree.

Now, seeing as you've completed it - I played HL2 last night for the 1st time - admittedly I was hungover and a bit tired - but I've got stuck at the section where the fellas with those jumping creatures stuck to their heads come out of the ground and there are a lot of electrical cables sparking near the radioactive stream/storm drain.

Where am I supposed to go at this point, and how do I do it?

TIA.

If you are at the section that I think you are talking about the path is very linear - you crouch (hit L3) to go under the electric cables and you won't get hit. If you are there you have a loooooooong path ahead of you, this game is huge.

Tigerblade

Distinguished Member
I'm plodding along with Ep2 and not encountered any of the so called slowdown yet :confused:

I'm at the bit when your being covered by sniper as you go to get your vehicle. How far am I in the game to anyone that's finished it and have I already passed any notorious spots that should have chugged? I have been looking out for it and would defo notice it as I used to be a framerate whore in my PC gaming days getting 2 7800GTX 512mb's for (the then) maximum power poss.

Mountain and molehill does spring to mind so far whilst playing :smashin: There is obviously more to get thru yet tho :)

mightymaccers

I would say you have hit the half-way mark, it's a pretty big expansion in my opinion. I didn't notice any slowdown at all on Episode Two apart from a slight drop in the final battle, I really cannot understand what all the fuss was in the reviews - I had two noticeable drops on the whole disc, the first was in Half-Life 2 when you disembark on the boat section and enter a building (nothing much was going on bizarrely) and the other was the electrified water in the hospital on Episode One.

omenII

I'm plodding along with Ep2 and not encountered any of the so called slowdown yet :confused:

I'm at the bit when your being covered by sniper as you go to get your vehicle. How far am I in the game to anyone that's finished it and have I already passed any notorious spots that should have chugged? I have been looking out for it and would defo notice it as I used to be a framerate whore in my PC gaming days getting 2 7800GTX 512mb's for (the then) maximum power poss.

Mountain and molehill does spring to mind so far whilst playing :smashin: There is obviously more to get thru yet tho :)
Hey Tiger, finished Ep. 2 last night and can honestly say I noticed next to no framerate jitters throughout the whole HL2 experience. It ground to the odd halt after quick loading (no problems whilst saving though) but that only lasted a second or two before it settled down. You're about a third of the way through btw, just keeps getting better as soon as you get out of the caves :) The vehicle stints in Ep. 2 are miles more enjoyable than HL2 imo too, much tighter paced...and just wait til you reach the finale ;)

moob

If you are at the section that I think you are talking about the path is very linear - you crouch (hit L3) to go under the electric cables and you won't get hit. If you are there you have a loooooooong path ahead of you, this game is huge.

I was obviously just jaded - it was simple as you pointed out. Cheers.

moob

Beer and games are not a good mix!

They used to be!;)

Turns out I've lost my ability to play games well - it's either that or I simply can't get used to using the controller - when I used to spend years playing Q3 via keyboard/mouse.

I find it tough to get used to.

kevin_irl

quick question, how do you shoot down helecopters? Im stuck at a part in Half Life 2 where there is this helecopter shooting at me and it keeps killing me!

breadbun

don't you just have to avoid them?

moob

quick question, how do you shoot down helecopters? Im stuck at a part in Half Life 2 where there is this helecopter shooting at me and it keeps killing me!

If, like me, you've already fired all your rpgs for fun, then you'll need to run like buggery!

runam0k

Assuming you have RPGs, aim well wide of the helo then guide the rocket in. It takes a few good hits. In most cases there will be a box of rockets nearby that you can keep going back to to reload.

tigandken

MINOR SPLOIERS......

ISTR from the PC version that if it's the bit when you're in the car (just after the "container/crane" bit) you need to drive along the road, make the jump, then you'll wind up in a roadblock/pile up round the corner in which you'll find a luverly chest of rockets.

BTW, seriously disappointed about the lack of 5.1 (or even DPL2) over optical :mad: very very poor show.

sedalbis

Hey, I was wondering if any of you could help me with a bit of confusion. I am thinking of getting The Orange Box, but I am a bit baffled as to what it actually contains. I am completely new to the Half Life franchise. I understand that Orange Box has Portal and Team Fortress, but it also states that it has:

Half Life 2
Half Life 2 episode 1
Half Life 2 episode 2

What's the deal with all the different variations of Half Life 2? I don't really understand what each game is. If any one could clear this up for me I would be very greatful. Cheers :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-M20xBT wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal and Naim announce new Special Edition Ash Grey system