1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half-Life 2 Steam ripoff!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Miyazaki, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I was going to buy half-life 2 over steam because of the ease of it on my 1Mb connection, and assumed that it would be vastly cheaper as it is American and we get ripped off for everything, not to mention the astounding exchange rate at the moment.

But the "gold" version is $90 US (roughly £45) and the "gold" version is on amazon.co.uk for £33!

I was gobsmacked. How can they justify the cost difference? Especially when you actually get something tangiable for your money buying the "bronze" and "silver" versions at some online stores, cheaper than just for downloading the game from steam?

:mad: :thumbsdow

2. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    *cough* - its not the 'gold' edition as in the same as on steam ..... at least it does not appear to be.

Amazon ( limited edition ) £32.99
    In addition to a limited-edition DVD-ROM version of Half-Life 2, this Collector's Edition also includes:

Counter-Strike: Source: The next generation of the #1 online action game.

Half-Life: Source: A digitally remastered version of the original critically acclaimed PC game.

A free limited-edition T-shirt (offered in men's size XL only).

Half-Life 2 Prima Book: Information on character backgrounds, the making of the game, and more than 100 pieces of artwork.

------------------------------------

Steam
    ------
    HALF-LIFE 2 GOLD INCLUDES:

Half-Life 2
    Counter-Strike: Source
    Half-Life: Source
    Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
    Day of Defeat: Source*
    Valve's back catalog available on Steam
    HALF-LIFE 2 MERCHANDISE:
    HL2 posters (3 total)
    HL2 soundtrack
    HL2 hat
    HL2 sticker
    City 17 postcard
    Prima's HL2 Strategy Guide
    Special collector's box
    Chance to win a trip to Valve**

It didn't mention anything about Condition Zero, DOD source etc ie the back catalogue , the hat , posters etc on amazon, just the basic guide and a t-shirt and hl source / cs source.

I got the steam install - to get the early release of CS source + not to have to put a CD in my machine every time I want to play any of those games

3. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever way you look at it, HL2 is not a cheap game to buy. Especially as Steam registration effectively gives the game no second hand resale value. Tangibility of disc in hand therefore means nothing. Once finished you may as well bin the disc.

4. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't think as a stand alone game HL2 is overly expensive. Taken as a whole the package with the back catalogue of games it seems quite reasonable to me ( i got Silver via Steam). Given the mods that are sure come out shortly , as a long term investment it get's better value , assuming your into the online experience of course.
    As fare resale value go's i can't remember the last time i even tried to resale a pc game , didn't know there was a second hand pc market with all the piracy problems.

Finally of course when DOD source is released it will be worth the cost of the game on it's own. :devil: :D

Panic

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,818
    The second hand market is thriving on ebay.

I made a packet selling games that had just been clogging up my cupboards.

Of course I have no comment to make on how much extra I've ended up spending on buying games on ebay... :blush:

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I had an ATI coupon so it only cost me $9 to upgrade to the silver version ( Half Life source isn't worth it over the original if you ask me)

7. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This E-bay thing is something i'll have to get into. I have cupboards full off game consoles , games etc i could get rid off but never had the gumtion to do.
    Is there an E-bay for dummies book out there?

8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The steam registration stinks because I am firmly against them having so much information about you before you can actually play the game. I mean why do they have to know where you live?!?!

If HL3 is steam based I will not buy it on principle. No game should be like this and it hasn't stopped piracy, in fact I reckon it actually encourages it.

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,818
    I think there is actually an ebay magazine nowadays! :eek:

I'm sure there are loads of websites that will give advice. It may be worth starting your own thread rather than taking this one way off-topic.

Just as a starter though, a quick Google threw up this site with some decent advice.

http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/ebaytips/fraud.php

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers Squiffy , sorry to all , not my intention of going OT.

11. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I agree entirely and did not know that you had to go through all that chew to finally play it when I ordered it months before it was released. Had I known I would not have bothered. I was so annoyed my registration user name is not something suitable enough to be repeated here :mad:

I do not buy pirated games at the moment but if this is the future of gaming then I am not going to hesitate on any game with this type of registration

daz

12. XyZ

XyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ya i think so there was some problem in the game but they solve it

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    most internet services now adays - such as email / service providers, online retailers etc use your home address and other details - in major part to try and prevent fraud and service miss use. If you walk into most high street stores you get asked for your name and post code at the cash point when buying certain goods - try buying a new TV etc ( and thats linked to the BBC TV licensing service ). PC World do it all the time for example.

Its never going to be 100% secure, accurate or trouble free - but most service providers have to be seen to be making an effort to adhere to the laws of the countries they reside in ..... blame your MP's and Government ... as they want everyone online to be accountable. They don't like the possibility of you using services annomamously so that you could send subversive or threating emails for example ( steam has friends / in game communications that fall under those catagories ).

Why single out steam??? -- are you going to stop buying AV equipment from shops or online services as well ??? are you going to cancel your internet provider???

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's only a bloody game that costs £25 and you will play for about 30 days, not a TV, or other electrical equipment that will last for years, nor is it a tv license or other 'rolling' contract. In most cases you aren't buying direct from them either - I bought my copy from Amazon, so I do not expect to give my details twice for a game I've already bought. Doom 3 has no 'steam' account, nor has far cry, UTII UT2004, Painkiller, the list is endless. Registration for a game should remain optional and steam will not stop or reduce software piracy - as I said I think piracy will actually increase if other games adopt similar systems.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,204
    This is online game may people have been playing it for years not 30 days. I have just got it via online and will be playing it for more than 30 days.

I bought Diablo II 3or 4 years ago and play that regular.

16. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432

its not only 'a' game - its many - the steam account ( and the siver pack upwards ) gives you access to games and other services ( freinds online etc ) various multiplayer games and versions.
    People have been playing CS for example for 5years plus --- not '30 days' ... trying to compare far cry, doom etc to what is the largest played online multiplayer game is just a little silly tbh - because thats what you are buying HL2 + HL2DM + CS source ... and with Silver and Gold dl's you get CZ and normal CS as well. Everyone whinges when a game comes out with no multiplayer facilities now adays - simply because of the amount of people with internet and online connections.

'YOU' may not like it - but more players do than any other online gamers do - they are playing HL2, CS source , HL2DM etc in droves ..... all on steam.
    Simply don't buy it then - I'm sure Valve aren't going to cry over the loss of your custom amongst the many thousands that are satisfied.

PS: what you 'think' of the effects on online piracy is neither here nor there .... base your arguments on 'facts' rather than conjecture. Fraud and piracy is rife - there are those that buy games legitametly and those that don't - when VAC's comes online we will have to see the effectiveness against those pirated copies - but as I understand it, already alot of accounts were deleted and frozen out on a security check against fraud - something that wouldn't happen if it was stand alone with no steam registration.

17. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up until recently I was still occasionally loading up the original Half Life and playing through it, despite buying it when it first came out. I have been a regular player of CS since the early beta's, which again has added to the worth of buying the original game. I would hate to think how many hours of my life the game has taken from me but it was gladly given.

HL2 is a great advance on the original and I am more than happy to use the Steam delivery system as it keeps the games patched and up to date without user intervention. It also allows for seamless online play, location of servers etc.

The Silver package for me is a bargain when I consider the amount of enjoyment I will get from it, no doubt for a long time to come.

18. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Exceptional value for money imo. CS source alone was worth the £40 ish I paid for the silver package. DOD source when it becomes available will be another game that gives the silver package longevity over the single player mode. Add to that all the mods, maps and other bits and pieces available over steam over the coming months/years I will be a very satistfied customer for years to come.:thumbsup:

19. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    L&H there is no point in commenting further.

These people have obviously been assimilated. Resistance is futile ;)

For me

Piracy hear I come.

20. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    If everyone stole PC games then no more will be developed :thumbsdow

I think £40 for essentially 3 new quality games is worth paying. I've played over 250 hours of cs alone so far which justifies the outlay alone imo.
    I've found steam to be perfect and have no faults to report on that side either. Horrahh for valve keep up the good work :clap:

21. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I played half life 2 for around 30 days and uninstalled it because I thought it was boring and lacked atmosphere.

This is not the point however. I again reiterate the point about why this is done - namely software piracy. I know several people who feel exactly as I do and will not be bothering with HL3 or any game that requires you to go through the 'steam' process. It does not discourage piracy - I believe it actively encourages it because of how much information you are required to divulge in order to play it.

Software and music piracy are both on the increase mostly because of excessively high prices. Things like steam will only push those who are ambivalent to piracy into owning pirated games. I do not know the way forward, but I do know that steam is not going to solve this.

22. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    half-life 2 is a good game, a bit over-hyped IMHO. CS Source seems to be the same maps as the last CS game so far, so it is a bit of a let-down for me.

I eventually got the bronze version off steam, what is the "tax" all about? It seems a bit arbitrary, especially as it states "estimated" tax. When was there ever a download tax?

23. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    By assimilated, do you mean not prepared to commit criminal activities.
    If I was so inclined to commit criminal offences such as theft, I would not be stupid enough to advertise the fact on a public forum - which the administrators have your IP address / email logged ...... meaning its not that much of stretch to get your name, address, telephone number, bank / card details from your internet provider. Something FAST would do should they ever be interested or pointed in your direction.

Federation Against Software Theft

Taking this lack of intelligence into account - what does that say about your arguement?

Steam has been about for a couple of years - its a service many people have signed up to and used ..... and its free.
    Many of us are prepared to pay for software that people have worked on, developed at a cost to themselves. It how we all earn a living - unless you expect to be working in McDonalds and have 26% of your wages lost due to people stealing Burgers.
    Ferraris are too expensive in my opinion - should I go out and steal one from a dealer? - A Ferrari may be made from phyiscal materials and software simply by stored digital media - but they are still produced items that someone has worked on and earn their livelyhoods from.

24. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three points:

1. I have always held myself to the maxim 'if it's worth playing then it's worth buying'.

2. I do not own any pirated software.

3. I wasted my money on HL2, but I still wouldn't own a pirated copy of the game. I just take the lesson and will see if HL3 is the same. If it is I will not own it.

Ethics Gradient:

This is not conjecture - it is already happening, and what I think of piracy may well be 'neither here nor there', but the argument is still relevant. Piracy is on the increase and inflated prices are part but not the whole of the equation. In my opinion Steam is not good for gaming and it will encourage piracy because of the registration process and the amount of information you are expected to hand over. You can't stop piracy, it is a fact of life and no matter what is done, even if games and music were just 99 pence, somebody would still get a pirated copy. But systems like this will push people towards owning pirated copies of games - a simple straw poll of people I know in my area who play games avidly already confirmed this. It may not be scientific but I would put money on it that it's pretty representative of many gaming communities in towns and cities worldwide.

Also, your comment about my not liking the game is ridiculous. I KNOW I'm not the only one who feels this way and therefore they will lose far more than just my custom if they persist with Steam.

25. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CS:Source is just CS converted to the source engine, it's not CS 2, naturally the same maps will be there.

26. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ethics
    looks like I got you hook line and sinker. How long did it take you to write all that. :rotfl:

I do not care what a game costs, if I want it I will buy it. What I object to is having to register with steam to play the game and not being able to sell it when I have finished with it.

You obviously love steam. I think it is crap nuff said

This is my final word I would not want to upset you any further :p

27. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Well looks like you all agree to disagree, so no need for further comments on this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.