1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2 Spec Query

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by sh18, Oct 16, 2004.

1. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hey, like everyone else here i cant wait to get my hands on HL2 as the original was the most awesome gaming experience ever but i dont know wether my PC is up to spec to run the game at a decent rate, my PC spec is below:

Windows XP
    2.5 GHZ Processor
    ATI Radeon 7500 Graphics Card
    Tonnes of Hard Disk Space

Any Good?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Your graphics card is definately your bottleneck but I'm sure it will run with low resolution and detail. You do not mention how much ram you have too. Most modern games are crying out for 1 gb but you should be able to get away with 512mb:) More info here:-

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17300244

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17273665

maybe it's time to upgrade your graphics card I notice overclockers have a deal on radeon 9700 pro's which will give you a real gaming boost here:-

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html#agx_2d010_2dat

But you'll have to judge whether £100 for HL2 is worth it :devil:

I've spent the best part of £750 :suicide: But if Counter Strike Source is anything to go buy money well spent imo :devil:

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    You could over clock your CPU by at least a couple of hundred mhz. take it up to 2.8ghz!

Memory I recomend 1gb. HDD doesnt really matter as long as you have space to fit the game.

And finaly GPU. You might want to upgrade to a 9800 card which are now much cheaper.
    Or you could go all the way and buy an X800 pro and OC that to X800 XT speeds!

4. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You might want to read up on overclocking first though, as it can fry your cpu and gc, get over to overclockers and have a read of some of the stickys, my 2.5 's running at 2.8 with stock cooling so theres always that to try first.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yeah, read up on in and keep the PC cool. Ive got my 2.8 running at 3.22ghz.

Memory at 370mhz and GPU also OC at 400mhz, up from 370mhz.

If you do a check of you PC using a program like "cpu.exe" you can actually see how high your CPU is capable of going. Just because you bought it at a certain speed doesnt mean it cant go higher.

My CPU can go as high as 3.6 or 3.8ghz. Wether I can take it that high or not, is another matter.

Still its a good way of increasing performance without spending more money.

What I do know is that every CPU CAN go higher than the speed you origianly buy it at.

The only difference between a P4 3.0 and a 3.2 or 3.4 is that intel have OC it for you.