1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2 query

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Seth Gecko, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Anyone like to comment on this "issue".

Half Life 2 has a little stutter on my PC - the speech seems to get stuck (like a record) for a second or two then correct itself. I installed it on a non-OS disk (I have 8 hard disks in my PC & only 2 are raid) and it got stuck. I removed it and installed it on my 2 SATA Raid disks - better, but still it occured.

I have a P4 3.2 ghz, 1 GB Ram, 1.2 TB Hard disk, 5900XT Graphics card and a SB Live! soundcard (Not the onboard one, which is disabled). I have no Viruses, no Spyware and I've removed all the messenger type progs etc. My immediate thought is it's the graphics card not being fast enough. I tried lowering the resolution - but I'm not getting any graphics lag at all - just this occasional st-st-st-stutter.

Any clues ?

2. cash

cash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    got the same problem. seems to occur when a new arae is loaded up, i don't think its a performance issue cos i ran doom3 without a hitch. The stuttereing seem to occur less the further you get into the game.

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It was terrible (on the non raid drive) during the opening. The "Wake Up Gordon" sounded like a Techno/Dance mix LOL

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    yeah i'm getting that too, especially when it loads new areas. sometimes looks like the game has crashed but then fixes itself. Perhaps there's an option in an ini file to buffer more of the sound or something, i'll go check.

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    I have this problem on most games as my system isnt the best so when it happened in Half Life 2 I didnt think anything of it but if it is a bug then hopefully the next patch will fix it.

6. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i found this for you..

Half Life 2 Update #3 - Additional Fix for Stuttering

18 November 2004

OK after a fair bit of experimentation, I believe I have found another cause of the constant stuttering on some systems. Go to Options in the game, and under the Mouse tab untick the 'Mouse Filter' setting. This has resolved a lot of random stuttering for me throughout the game (autosaving aside) in conjunction with the tweaks posted below. I believe the reason for this setting causing a problem is that on some motherboards it has issues with the Interrupts (IRQs) and causes CPU 'hiccups'. That's my guess anyway, but give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Half Life 2 Update #2 - Fixes for Stuttering Issues

17 November 2004

Another quick update - a lot of people are having issues with the way HL2 seems to stutter and pause every few moments, especially the sound. The common solutions to this problem are as follows:

1. Reduce your sound quality to Medium in the game options.

2. Go to the icon where you launch HL2, and open its properties (or go to Steam>Play Games>Half Life 2>Right-click on it and select Properties>Launch Options) and in the Target box add "-heapsize [memoryamount]" (without quotes), e.g. -heapsize 128000 makes the game use 128MB of your RAM. Try not to exceed half of your system RAM with this setting.

3. Go to your \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2\cfg\ directory, and create a new blank text file (right click and select New>Text Document), then rename it to autoexec.cfg. Open this file and copy and paste the following commands into it, then close and save it:

snd_mixahead 0.7

cl_forcepreload 1

sv_forcepreload 1

cl_smooth 0

4. Make certain you run Windows Defragmenter after Steam has registered and updated your system to play Half Life 2. You must run Defrag to ensure smoother gameplay because Half Life 2 is a huge install and though it may take a while it's a vital step.

Finally, to activate and open the console in the game, go to Options in the game, select Keyboard, click Advanced and tick the option to enable the console. Now pressing the '~' key (key beneath ESC) will bring up the console. Use commands like "cl_showfps 1" (without quotes) to see your framerate, and "timedemo" (without quotes) to run a timedemo

7. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
  8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Top result - will give it a go tomorrow.

More happy to know it's not me (I did note that after installing Steam, hard disk SERIOUSLY fragmented so I performed that on both installs. Not the cleanest of installs is it ?)

Thanks !

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Made the above changes, did a full defrag and my sound stutter is now all but gone! :thumbsup:

10. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Trouble is some will be worse than others, when you say all but gone that pretty much describes my stuttering, apparently after reading up quite a bit and tying all the above fixes which don't work come to the conclusion that it's a problem with the graphics engine, don't know if it will be patched as it has been around on Counterstrike Source a while and they've still not fixed it, personally it does'nt bother me as once the new section has loaded there may be a bit of stutter whilst it's loading the new sounds then i virtually goes down to zero for the rest of the level, i do hope they fix it though but i would'nt cross your fingers......Great game though eh

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Yeah I tend to get it after a load or a save. Sometimes when it loads a scriped sequence it also does it. I think it's a problem with the game running after a load or save before all information is fully loaded or saved. They say they are working on a patch on valves site but i'll probably have finished it by then :rolleyes: .

It is an awesome game though and I can easily overlook this small disruption with a game of this quality. Most games have at least 1 second of dullness in them but half life 2 is just pure excitement from beginning until I presume the end! I'm currently at the "Our Benefactors" level after - where are you up to?

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i haven't got too far yet, cos it's really awkward playing using a wireless keyboard and mouse while sitting on a bed which is right on the edge of the wireless range.. makes it a chore to play.

i'm getting this
    [​IMG]

delivered possibly tomorrow, which i'm hoping will turn out to be a great gaming device for pc games like this!

13. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Haven't come across any stutter problems yet....thankfully.

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I am guessing the reason for the stuttering is the CPU usage the Source Engine utlilises. I believe I had a similar problem on the original Half Life.

The only real bug I have got is that for some reason HL2 reverses my speakers??? Very difficult to work out where the combine are :(