1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2 performance

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by D-man, Nov 25, 2004.

1. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Please help. I am at my wits end trying to get hl2 to run properly on my computer. I have a brand new Hewlet Packard PC with hardly anything on it. Its a P4 with 1GB DDr Ram, 200gb hd with a ATI Radeon X600 pro, but i don't seem able to sustain a decent framrate, its constantly dropping into the red when anything happens. I'm also experiencing quite alot of tearing/blurring of the images when moving on the horizontal plane.

I've defragged the hd, downloaded the update for directx9 and Catalyst for the graphics card, played around with the settings and resolution (even on medium detail its not very stable) but nothing seems to work.

I can't believe i've spent a grand and can't get this damn game working properly, this is what pushed me to console gaming years ago.

Can somebody help? Am i missing something?

p.s It looks glorious if you don't move.

2. pmccurdy

pmccurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm .. try updating your sound drivers.

You could try bringing down the console and type
    Mat_forcetextureintohardware 0

Other than that, I dont have anything else to add, more info/help on www.steampowered.com

Good luck !

3. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    activate vsync and the tearing will go away......but it wil cost you even more frames

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Sounds bad, but it shouldnt be happening on a systems with your specs.

First as geese says activate Vsync to get rid of the tearing. Keep resolution at 1024X768, set everything else to high or medium.

This particular game uses the CPU more than the GPU, so how fast is your CPU?
    You said P4 but didnt specify a speed.

You can over clock your CPU and even though it is dangerous, its the only way to get more out of the CPU without getting a faster one. My CPU was 2.8ghz, but i over clocked it to 3.2ghz.

Your graphics card is new but its isnt one of the most powerfull cards, so it may be necesary to lower settings.

Dont know what else to say. When playing HL2 make sure you dont have other programs runing in the back ground.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Whats the processor speed.

And a grand on a ready made PC isnt a lot of money for a top notch game like HL2!

I take you have AA & AF turned off.

What resolution are you running it at?

6. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im playing on a pc with only 256mb of ram, 1800mz, g force fx5700 graphics card. , with only slight slowdown. which compared to your pc is well below spec wise dude

7. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    i.m not being odd but i find that pc,s with brand names bought in certain stores just seem to be well overpriced,hl2 must be making a lot of people upgrade,i did but luckily i now work in a pc shop,the v sync method certainly takes the tearing away,with my sytem,an amd 3000+ 64 bit with 1 gb ram and a geforce 6800gt it runs fine,all on high with aa at x6 and af at x4,have you got the latest drivers for the video card,dierct x up to date and the sound drivers etc,also if you are playing offline try turning your anti virus off,this has helped a friends performance.hope you get it working mate

8. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks guys, I've been away for the weekend so please excuse the lateness of my reply.

AML-my clock speed is 3ghz.

I've turned off all of the processes the computer is runnng in the background so it should just be windows and hl2. I think i've got the latest drivers- I downloaded "catalyst" from ATI and i assumed it updated your drivers as a matter of course. And I downloaded directx9.c

geese-How do I activate the Vsync, is that an ingame option?

9. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    oh and I was running it at 1024X768

10. Daniel19

Daniel19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, i am having the same problem, think it may be the graphics card

My Machine is:
    HP 3.2ghz P4, 1 GB Ram PC3200 400mz, x600 Graphics Card.

Runs like a dog.

Also Have another machine
    Amd 2800+, 1 GB Ram PC2700, 9800xt Graphics Card.

Runs like a Dream.

Any Suggestions why my P4 is slower, its a newer more powerfull machine!!!

11. WEIRDWOLF

WEIRDWOLF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was going to upgrade but decided to try it with my current set-up, just for a laugh.

It's 2 1/2 years old (!) and I have Geforce 3 Ti200 and Athlon 1800+ plus a gig of RAM and I'm amazed...its actually pretty playable!! A bit choppy sometimes but still not bad! Have it on 800*600 as I play on a plasma and doesn't make much difference at higher res's.

Just got Far Cry too and that ain't bad either.

I do keep my PC as clean as possible and regularly run Adaware & Spybot as I find spyware slows it down quite a bit.

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    AMD 3200+ 64 Bit
    1gb PC3200 Geil Ram
    Asus AV8-SE
    and the all important powerfull Nvidia Leadtek 6800GT 256mb @ Stock (no need to OC yet as it runs everything with ease at the moment)
    on the 67.02 forceware drivers as these are highly reccomended and coincedentally came out on Hl2 release day ;)

run at 1280 x 1024 with all details on high and 4x AA, 8x AF

mine runs like an absolute dream in most areas but i dont think its a HW problem that i get some slow down. its to do with audio etc. isnt enough to bother me. pity i dont have alot of time to play it im only in the ravenhome (sp?) tunnels

13. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think HP have done us over! Do you think we can sue them!!

I found the vsync option and it did cut down on the tearing, although I think my the flat screen monitor adds to the problem. And I increased the heapsize and that helped a bit too.

Anybody know anything about omegdrivers.com?

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have AMD 2800+, 512Mb Corsair matched memory and a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and Half life runs pretty good. 1024x768 and some of the goodies turned up full, though the expense is occasionally choppy sound. I'd have thought the x600 would have been an ideal choice since the game was optimised for ATi cards so I'd suggest that the problem isn't here.

I'd say update all your drivers, not just the graphics ones. Sound issues can cause your uneven frame rate problems, make sure these are updated too. I'd also say that if you're using an integrated sound solution then maybe the problem lies here. I don't know if there is a console command to turn off the sound on HL2 but if there is try it and see if the performance improves.

it could also be a hardware conflict - difficult ot believe I know, but just check for it just in case.

15. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm managing to play HL2 on a Pentium 1.5Ghz Celeron laptop, with 512 mb memory and a 16 mb ATI Radeon mobility card, which I can't get new drivers for (!) at a resolution of 1024 x 768.....It's not wonderful, but it does play, with the specs that you've got on your new machine it should run fine....?

16. redaction

redaction
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    D-man, did you actually install the new drivers you downloaded? Sorry, I know it sounds daft but I wondered if you've just switched over to PC gaming from consoles, as you mention.

You really do need to clear out the old drivers first before installing/running the new ones, else you can get some pretty serious conflicts arising.

I would recommend reinstalling them as a first check:

0. You may wish to set a system restore point before doing anything:

1. Got to add/remove progs/ then uninstall anything relating to ATI. Choose not to reboot after each one to save time, but do so if the program does not uninstall completely.

2. Either restart system then run DRIVER CLEANER 3 or other way round, then restart system/windows again - http://www.drivercleaner.net/download/DC3Setup_33.zip or http://members.home.nl/mclaren2000/download/DC3Setup_33.zip
    (Well recommended for clearing out any ATI/Nvidia etc files that should have been deleted.)

3. After doing the above, run the new drivers (ensure antivirus is turned off). Follow instructions/reboot etc.

This procedure can be followed for both motherboard chipset drivers as well as soundcard (if you have one). It's really amazing just how many conflicts can be traced to poorly installed drivers that should have been removed from ATi/Nvidia's own driver uninstall utilities, so it's well worth trying driver cleaner.

If your problems persist, either try reinstalling HL2, Windows, or visit Steam's forums and search there.

17. luce_ds

luce_ds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sound card do you have? If you have a low spec sound card this might just be the problem as your cpu then has to do more work to compensate for a bad/low spec sound card... I used to have this problem with many High res/spec games.. after I upgraded the sound card the problems pretty much went away... Even if a pc comes with an onboard 5.1 system I always install a new SB live card..

Hope this helps...

Good Luck....

18. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah you guessed it I'm pretty new to this PC gaming thing. I followed your advice and removed all the old drivers (I must have downloaded quite a few while I was trying to get HL2 to work) and downloaded drivecleaner and I'm pleased to say I think its done the job! :thumbsup:

Although the framerate still suffers when the game gets really busy its a hell of a lot smoother than before and the graphics have stopped tearing. I can finally sit back and enjoy the game properly, in fact I may start from the beginning again!

Thanks again for the step by step advice it was really useful to follow and its made my day.

Luce_ds
    I've just got the standard sound card it shipped with, an intel High Def Audio sounds pretty good but I guess it isn't, in fact on certain games there is a muffled hiss in the background. Which sound card do you recommend? How much should I be looking to spend?

dazz16
    I think your right about the graphics card. I found this on another forum.

Shivoa
    09-Dec-04 14:28:22 x600 standard is well below the 6600GT and 9800 Pro. It is actually just a bit of an update to the 9600 series with PCI express support and the x600 is the slowest of that series (the x600XT being the fastest and even that isn't much of an option). You probably won't find it in many bechmarks as it really isn't designed to shine when trying to render the likes of Doom3 and HL2.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice, I probably would have canned HL2 if I hadn't got it running any better and that would have been a shame.

19. redaction

redaction
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Result! Good to hear you've sorted it D-man. PCs can be a right pain at the best of times.

Personally, I'd maybe recommend the Audigy 2 from Creative as a potential soundcard upgrade, ZS edition. A good place to look at is:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/creative_soundcards.html

You could go for the budget Audigy 2 at £32 or the ZS one at £52 (when it comes back into stock) depending on how flush you're feeling. Don't bother with retail versions, an OEM will do I should think (you'll likely want to upgrade again when something new comes along).

One thing to remember is that your current sound setup is provided by your motherboard and will need to be disabled, probably in your PC's BIOS (available at when booting up PC by pressing Delete key/F2 or whatnot), BEFORE you install the new soundcard. Audigy cards can be a pain also - set system restore points before installing the copious software and consider maybe just installing minimum drivers + HQ.

Your game performance might improve with some tweaking of your video settings - it's usually stuff like AA (anti-aliasing) and Anisotropic Filtering (AF) that hit the frame rates. Look at a 4:3 aspect ratio and 1024x768 (32bit) with medium/high detail levels. A new soundcard will take away requirement for your processor (CPU) dealing with sound as the Audigy (eg) will have it's own sound processor for this task, hence it frees up valuable clock cycles. Mind you, getting more RAM is a good idea if you're using less than 1GB.

www.crucial.com (select UK) is recommended for memory upgrades

and

www.exiled-gamers.co.uk is recommended for any game related stuff

Enjoy.

20. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Guys.

I got hold of a Creative Audigy 2 last week and managed to disable the integrated sound solution and get it installed. Not only has it got rid of the occasional fizzing and popping in-game, but it's definitely saved me a few frames.

I ran the counter strike video stress test and my fps is up from 50 (pre driver cleanup/soundcard) to 72!!

Thanks again.

21. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My mate said that over @ the Steam Forums, the NVidia cards have slow down problems etc with this game at the mo.

22. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    no slow down probs with my nvidia card at all,its a 6800 gt

23. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My mates is the GT and his freezes for seconds at a time.

24. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    i have 1gb of ddr also,whats he got?

25. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    its nothing to do with nvidia hardware at all. me and few other people i know have nvidia cards rangeing from a GeForce 4 ti4600 to a Geforce 6800 GT. having read alot of people comments else were it does in fact seem that audio plays a part in hardware slowdown. also a Gb of ram helps :)