1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half-Life 2 Installing/Re-Installing Query

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by LiquidTV, Jan 10, 2005.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having had this game since Xmas, I have only just got around to installing. What a complete pain in the arse!! :thumbsdow I couldn't believe the trouble I had to go through to get it to work. I've still got crappy 56K modem. After several attempts, in all it took 3 hours of fiddling about before it would finally work. The key to making it work offline I found, was blocking it in XP firewall. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

The point of my thread is that shortly I will be able to finally get broadband where I live. When it finally arrives, I am planning on a complete re-format of the hard drive to remove unwanted rubbish & address various issues that I have discovered since the first install of XP2. I have obviously created a steam account to make this damn game work, but will I be able to re-install??
    My understanding is that the CD key is linked to the account. I also read this must be accessed at least once a month to keep it open?? I assume if I don't & try a fresh install I could run into problems.

2. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    i think you'll be ok. I'm assuming you can just type in your user name and password again. i agree though intallation was a seious pain in the backside.

mark

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    yep - just make sure you have your Steam username / email address used / password ...... and any keys that you used to hand.

4. Loon

Loon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you re-install you just need to put Steam back onto the machine. It will ask for the account details so just enter the same as you did before. When you re-install the game it will ask for the CD key again. When you enter it you get a message telling you this one is already in use so just hit cancel and it should work. You could probably just hit cancel and log into Steam but I have never tried it that way.
    As for the logging into it once a month I have never heard this. I have my Steam account ever since they made us use them and have never had any problems with it. I have gone months without using it so I think that might be an old wives tale.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as I did.

Loon