1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2 In August?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by CENSORED, Jul 1, 2004.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Megagames is reporting an announcement made by Gabe Newell where he has confirmed that HL2 will be presented to Vivendi in August. There is the possibility that Vivendi may sit on the title until the summer sales lull is over meaning a possible September release. The most important thing for me is that it is as close to an official announcement as you could get. Not long now. Sweating already.

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    lol - had compeltely forgotten about this coming out!! August is looking to be a good month if this is true, with PES 4 also due then!

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I thought Doom3 was due out fairly soon too?

Going to be a busy last quarter if all these games surface: HL2 , Doom3 and Halo2.

Good job my home cinema will be finished soon!

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Guys,

I couldn't resist temptation any longer so I downloaded the HL2 beta a few days ago. I must say that this game looks nicer than far Cry on the whole due to its more realistic textures, but when you get very close to a wall for example, the texture looks a little blocky.

The physics engine is very sweet. Some things I have seen before, like rag doll people from Max Payne 2, but the buggy you get to drive has good handling characteristics and reacts believable over different terrain. An example of this is that the buggy can get grounded on its base so no wheels are touching the floor, so it wont move. This is where the physcannon comes into play.

When I think that this build of the game is a beta that is over a year old, I do get quite excited about the finished product. I shall delete the beta off my computer today, and wait patiently for the full game. Trust me guys, it will be worth the wait.

Cheers

Rob

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    If they have any sense they will release it asap!

Do they really think that any seasonal sales trends are going to make any difference to a title of this magnitude? If it gets good reviews, this game will fly off the shelves.

I am still not sure though that they will deliver a game that comes to close to the original.

6. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I agree. The amount of pre orders for this game must be vast and regardless of release date will sell millions of units.

Historically ofcourse, summer is never a big release date.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I think this game will still be the next big step forward in FPS gaming in a similar way the original was. As FPS's are common place now though I don't think it will have as big an initial impact as the first game though.

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I maybe alone here but i never played Halflife as a single player very much. I got the game a while after first release purely to play the online Team Fortress , then CS then finally DOD , which has been my main staple for PC gameing over the last 3 years. It is also the only reason i signed up for Broadband for as well.
    HL2 , while i will play the single player no doubt again i will buy mainly for what i hope will be some fantastic looking Mod's whether they be new ones or even just remakes of my current favs.

Panic

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Its really kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy that the industry has got itself into. More games are sold in Q4 as thats when most of the games are released (though Christmas does come into it). I would have thought it better marketing if you were to release a critically acclaimed title during a lull, so there is little else to deflect attention away from it. But I'm not in marketing, so what do I know?

Am optimistic about both HL2 and Halo 2, but I'm not yet convinced that Doom 3 is anything but a style over content title yet. I could change my mind if they make it scarily atmospheric though, which I hope they do (looks v Aliens-y, my fave film ever).

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just back from Orlando where i was lucky enough to take in Spiderman2 which had a fairly long trailer for the new Aliens V Predator movie. I know it was just a trailer but WOW!! it looks stuning. Cannot wait for this one.

Panic

11. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the AvP trailer looks great but I think I would have preferred a decent Alien 5. Give me Ridley Scott and HR Giger any day of the week.

12. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Apparently the go ahead for Alien 5 depends on the success of AVP.... If AVP succeeds, then Alien 5 will be done. :thumbsup:

13. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    should get the go ahead the trailer for avp warrants a viewing imho

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    All the people I know who've seen the rough cut don't hold out much hope. However Lance Henriiksen is the best thing about it apparently.