1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

half life 2 - graphic issue

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by primageon, Dec 27, 2004.

1. primageon

primageon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting really crappy framerate and my mouse movements are delayed.

my specs are:

3.2 ghz
    1gig ram
    micro-star FX5900 XT graphic card
    directx 9c

why the hell is it doin this? even with graphics turned way down its still choppy/slow.

can someone help me? I can't find any help on the seirra tech support form.

2. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You should be getting a smooth rate with that system, mines a bit slowers and still very smooth, there are some issues with the sound loading which caused stutter but mine was very mininal ahve a search on the steam forums also make sure the aa and af is turned off or set to low i played it on max detail with a 2.5 @ 2.8 p4, 1gig of pc2700 and a GF4TI4600 and other than the odd bit of stutter it was smoooooth although there is a download of someone playing it on a flying machine and it's choppy as hell, has it patched itself yet??

sry about any spellings im on nights and tired :boring: :boring:

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got HL2 for chrimbo, only had chance to have a quick play but it did seem a little jumpy to me too, and I have a system that shouldn't be as jumpy. I decided though that it wasn't my game but my mouse, as I'm currently using a cheap crappy thing rather than my usual one. I turned up the mouse sensitivity and turned on the mouse smoothing feature and it seemed to improve things a lot. Also I'm running it at a resolution of 1280x1024 to get the best from my 17" TFT so that may slow it down a bit.

All in all from the quick play I had I would say that my system more than copes with it's demands, the graphics were great! I am running a P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB PC2700 Ram, Radeon 9700Pro, DX9c. That reminds me the game was optimised for ATI Radeon cards so maybe that as something to do with why it looks good on mine, but I can't see that causing problems on NVidia cards, after all NVidia optimised games work fine on my machine.

One other thing I noticed, the game takes aggggeeeeeeeessssssssssss to load! Then after that you have to stop after every few doors for it to load some more! I found this really irritating. Plus it took ages to install because I had to do all this registering for Steam crap.

4. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had similar problems but got alot of suggestions from this forum that helped. Rather than repeat them all here try looking at the thread "Half life 2-Performance".

5. Gearoi

Gearoi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also - for CS:S type cl_smooth 0 in the console if you find it jumpy. There is a way of putting it in your autoexec file to make it permanent otherwise you need to type it each time you play.

Didn't do this in HL2 though for me.

6. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't find any fixes you may have to remove DX9c and replace it with 9b. 9c is a bit buggy for some people. It's a last resort though because I think it can only be removed by reinstalling Windows.

Apnomis, have you tried the DX8 water patch? On 9700 cards the game is even smoother and looks almost as good - some people claim the DX8 water effects are better than DX9 mode effects. I doubt it'll improve loading times, though, but are there any cache tweaking options in HL2?

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you a decent amount of space left on your HDD? Defrag the drive too, that always helps :)