1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Life 2 close...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Munkey Boy, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    PC Gamer apparently has a review of Half Life in their next issue due out 5 October. Can't be long now, surely...? I hope its going to be worth the wait.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    cant...take... the....pain....must....play....HL2....NOW! :hiya:

No really, they are killing me.

By the way, I played counter strike source at the Tokyo Game Show in the ATi booth, but i think it was the beta which i play regularly anyway, so not that bothered.
    Still it looks good runing on ATi hardware. I wouldnt know since i trade my 9800pro for a 6800GT!

By the way, the Special Edition HL2 box looks tasty, it has:

Full game Counter Strike Source, Half Life Source, T-shirt (yes, we all want to wear a t-shirt made by valve)
    and prima guide book.

Oh, cant forget HL2!!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/550/550702p1.html

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    But surely we have all played Half Life by now ;) Isn't a sequel supposed to be inbound? :D

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I just read that HL2 could be held hostage for up to 6 months!!! by vivendi because of the law suite they are fighting with valve.

http://www.hardocp.com/index.html

If they do, then I will never trust a publisher again.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    :mad: That would be annoying - although not unexpected IMHO.

It annoys me because a lot of people upgrade their PCs due to big profile games like this being announced as imminent releases - and when you spend £200+ on a graphics that is alot of money that is being spent. How many people upgraded last year (some paying £350+ for new graphics cards) for HL2? Whilst those people will still get a very playable game they have spent perhaps 50% more than if they brought the same spec card now.

Personally I refused to upgrade until I had one of the next gen games in my hand (Doom III or HL2) but I still think it's outrageous as most PC gamers want (not unjustly so) to play the game well on the day of release.

So a big :thumbsdow to any delay from me.

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

Valid point. I upgraded from a 9800 Pro to an XT just in case then found myself goggle eyed at the HL2 X800 demo's at E3 so upgraded again. My choice. Software definitely sells hardware and a lot of hardware was sold on the back of a September 03 launch which failed to materialise for well publicised reasons. I still have my HL2 voucher which won't see the light of day until these two get their act together. If I treated my customers in the same way I wouldn't have a business.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If both Valve and Vivendi arent careful, nobody will buy the bloody game! People will loose interest then something better will come along grabbing peoples attention. (ie Unreal engine 3)

By the time HL2 comes out, other technologies will be ahead of source and it will leave HL2 in the dust! (pun intended! get it? cs source, dust level!)

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Just read somthing that says if valve go ahead with steam then vivendi will hold off release for a further 6 months. and valve will have to follow suit due to contract obligations.

what the fudge is going on with this game.

relize its mentioned above...but for gods sake

as regards the upgrade issue that wont be a problem unless they decide the delay has been too long and update with a new engine.....now that would suck

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    I didn't know what Steam was until today !
    Am I right in thinking that Steam allows you to buy Valve games and then download it ? If this is the case, what's the problem ?

10. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I wonder what the implications will be for Vivendi if they do this? I don't just mean with other developers re-evaluating their links to Vivendi. What action will fans take? Petitions, bad PR, DoS attacks, etc.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    The same problem that is in the music industry.

Valve are now able to distribute freely to their customer base, thus this means that Vivendi (as their publisher) will be out of profits. Vivendi are unhappy, although us customers are probably better off.

I doubt Vivendi would delay for 6 months, it really would be the end for them, although it may be good for Valve as everyone will forget about the delays they have put in already :)

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I'll be using my HL2 code for the steam download and I'll probably go out and buy the game on disc using some vouchers I have for my other PCs.

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Publishers are middle companies anyway. All they do is add costs to games.

If Valve are brave enough, they will go ahead and break contract by selling us the games by Steam.

Like George Lucas did way back when he released the star wars trilogy, Valve could cause a REVOLUTION.
    (see the extras in the starwars trilogy box set if u have it)

It may not be exactly the same thing, but Lucas also hated "publishers" and released "Empire strikes back" and "Revenge of the jedi" on his own without the help of the film studios like Fox. He got all the proffits for the films and eventually recuperated all the money he had spent in making the films.

Valve should do the same. With games like HL2, CS Source and eve HL Source, they could make millions without vivendi cutting into the proffits.

Game companies should be in controll of the publishers, not the other way arround.
    If Valve CHOOSE to publish the games in boxed form then they should ask them to do it. Otherwise, Steam it!

Let the revolution roll!!! :smashin:

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    This 6 month delay thing is pure speculation at the moment - it would mean Vivendi would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. Half Life 2 will be one of their biggest sellers this year, whether its released on Steam or not.

I'd be surprised if more than 10% of customers would use Steam to play HL2. You need a fast broadband service and a bit of tech-knowledge to even use the service. Its good for us customers, like as mentioned previously (assuming it'll cost us less due to lower overheads), but alot of people don't even know Steam exists or what it does.

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The customers would be better off if they passed on the savings of "Distribution and Packaging" to the end customer. But since HL2 will cost the same on Steam as it will in the shops, they are just keeping the savings for themselves.

Like you said, this is the same problem as the music industry, and it will seriously slow the uptake of online distribution of games.

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're planning on playing online... then you HAVE to use Steam. In fact, even if you want to play on a LAN game, you have to use Steam. (unless I'm mistaken)

17. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    That may well be the case, but Steam willl be installed alongside Half Life 2. That will probably be the first time Steam will be on alot of users PCs. I would speculate the majority of people won't use Steam to buy Half Life 2.

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I thought HL2 had a requirement that you had to have STEAM on your system to even play it?

To prevent piracy I thought they were making everyone register online.

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Like Sims 2? If you dont register you cant download anything from the web site.
    (ie extra stuff like furniture for the game)

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I misunderstood. You're right that the release of HL2 will bring in a whole heap of new people to Steam. And when that happens, Steam will do what Steam does best... break. :thumbsdow

21. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    I didn't express myself very well... I heard that Steam stops you playing the game when an update is released until the update has been installed! Thats a pretty fundamental flaw, IMO, but one that could be fixed easily. Steam seems a good idea poorly executed.

22. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    HL2 phase 4 is under way. It looks like they are not leting vivendi stop their Steam activities.

I wonder how many more phases before HL2 is done?

23. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    I thought that game reviews could only be carried out once a final, as-will-be-released version was in possession of the reviewer (at least for 'respectable' mags like PC Gamer). That was the reason I started this thread, as I took a UK respectable mag review as an indicator that the game was finished. (Though I'm just remembering now - didn't PC Gamer review CS:Condition Zero before it was done?)

They can't still be working on the damn thing, surely?

24. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    How would you fix it? You cannot have players playing online with different versions of the client it simply wouldn't work.

All magazines get review copies of the game that are usually given to them a month before release, these are usually the final versions that will be shipped as a game going gold usually happens at least a month before release.

25. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    Not playing online on the same server, sure. I'm just saying that Steam would grind to a halt if everyone suddenly tried to update their version using Steam, and I could see people being unable to play Half Life 2 online for days. Alot of unhappy punters there.

There was a story in PC Format this month about a CS tournament that was screwed up because an update was released on Steam and stopped all the players from playing until their copy had been updated via Steam. That can't be the way to go surely? It would be easy for Steam to notify you of an update instead of stopping you playing. You could then go and find a mirror somewhere and stop Steam becoming overloaded. [EDIT] I think this is where my confusion is - will it only be possible to update your Half Life 2 on Steam?

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,815
    It all depends how many servers they have servicing steam. I don't think that it will be some small scale set up and i'm sure they will have sufficient servers & bandwidth to serve the community effectively. If not then it wouldn't be a viable option in the first place and would never have had the go ahead.

27. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    One of steams original ideas was to offer people hassle free gaming. They download patches for you so you dont have to. SO if they tell is in advance and we go to another site to download a patch it defeats the purpose right?

28. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    It'd be nice if it worked like that. But when I tried to access Steam to pre-load Half Life 2 a few weeks back, I had to wait hours to do so. I dread to think what its like when every HL2 user has to download a patch at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic idea if it works, but the capacity of the network to carry out such a task is huge, surely? Who's paying for all that bandwidth? Are Valve going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts, or will we eventually have to stump up a subs fee?

Maybe I'm just being cynical (and I'd love to think I'm wrong!), but the idea of a free, instant access, always on, bandwidth unlimited, auto-updating service is too good to be true, and is just waiting to get broken. Isn't that the complaint about Steam so far, that it keeps not working?

29. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yep! I still cant access CS Source. Havent been able to for the last few days.
    And the HL2 Phase 4 update, also cant access. It keeps saying "server busy".

If its going to be like this when i get HL2, and it wont let me play, then I will have to uninstal Steam. It really is that simple. :thumbsdow

30. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    steam is down at the moment,you cant log on or get password reminder,so dont bother to try,it's not you it's them that's screwed up............again :mad: