Half decent router for gaming

craggs

Established Member
Reaction score
Currenlty have a speedtouch 585v6 but i think its a little rubbish for xbox gaming (so ive been told) and might not be helping to my lagging.So what would be a good choice but not to expensive say upto £50/60 odd??

thanks

Currenlty have a speedtouch 585v6 but i think its a little rubbish for xbox gaming (so ive been told) and might not be helping to my lagging.So what would be a good choice but not to expensive say upto £50/60 odd??
As lag seems to be the most important feature for gaming (I don't game), what router you use will be insignificant.

If you want a router with super internal latency you won't get one for that budget and even if you could it wouldn't make much difference compared to crossing the Internet anyway.

i currently use bt's free hub not exactly the best i know
but i have had very few problems in the gaming side

i can game reasonably well on it tho i do have big network
of 4 pcs and 2 ps3s and the speed is decent

little or no lag on the ps3s (just make sure you game machines
are port forwarded properly

hope this helps

thanks

for £50 on ADSL, then you cant go far wrong with a Netgear DG834G....highly proven on UK networks and deployed in the millions

however, as Beerhunter says, its doubtful that you will notice any difference...if you are experiencing lag in the ISP network, a router at your end isnt goint to help much

I think you have an internet myth problem and someone just says "change your router" with no real scientific test backup...spend £50 and hope for the best type thing .....

for £50 on ADSL, then you cant go far wrong with a Netgear DG834G....highly proven on UK networks and deployed in the millions

however, as Beerhunter says, its doubtful that you will notice any difference...if you are experiencing lag in the ISP network, a router at your end isnt goint to help much

I think you have an internet myth problem and someone just says "change your router" with no real scientific test backup...spend £50 and hope for the best type thing .....

thanks i was looking at that one seen it on ebuyer for around £44 quid..as for the lag i totaly understand its my line as far as the latency and ive been down the route of switching to fastpath.

I suppose i know in game it wont make the difference to the lag but i mean a decent router to just handle the connecting data from the xbox to throw down the line if that makes sense...

I was told that speedtouch routers have a ping issue when you actualy ping the router from a pc,,like i did and was told it should show 0ms mine mine didnt and the words was its a speedtouch and is common.

so yeah i suppose i mean 'one' to handle the data more effeciant :smashin:

i confuse myself sometimes:rotfl:

I suppose i know in game it wont make the difference to the lag but i mean a decent router to just handle the connecting data from the xbox to throw down the line if that makes sense...
If you mean the rate at which the modem in the router syncs with tht DSLAM at the exchange? I have found slight differences in speed but, again,it is marginal an not worth the gamble of buying a new router' partly because there is evry chance that the speed change will be in the other direction.

If you mean the rate at which the modem in the router syncs with tht DSLAM at the exchange? I have found slight differences in speed but, again,it is marginal an not worth the gamble of buying a new router' partly because there is evry chance that the speed change will be in the other direction.

ok mate thanks for that,ill stick with what ive got.It just what people say and ive read about these specific gaming routers.which i know seem to be in the hundereds.

saves me money not buying one,and tbh this router cost me £15 new about 3 yrs ago and its run without any problems.I just thought if there was a router that is better for gaming and not to expensive id of looked at it.

I think the first thing i need to be looking into realisticly is getting of my stoneage 1mb connection :D

I think the first thing i need to be looking into realisticly is getting of my stoneage 1mb connection :D
You may be able to 'tune' that little bit. There are many threads here on improving your Internal Wiring to give a little (sometimes a lot) of extra speed. e.g removing the Ring Wire using a pre-filtered faceplate in the Master Socket, etc.

You may be able to 'tune' that little bit. There are many threads here on improving your Internal Wiring to give a little (sometimes a lot) of extra speed. e.g removing the Ring Wire using a pre-filtered faceplate in the Master Socket, etc.

hi mate,,yeah i already done what i can,,ive no bell wire i checked some time ago,,i got a slightly better result byt taking the base plate off and plugging direct in,and changing the filter and not using an extention lead,,i cant remember fully but it improved either snr or attenuation by a slight bit anyway think i speed tested at 800 and after messing about 860k down now..ive been considering o2 BB as i get LLU at my exchange,but i cant seen to sign up cause of non of the packages allow you to turn interleaving on/off

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom