Half decent bridge camera

offitmassive

Hi all, not even an amateur photographer, and wouldn't know where to look for a half decent camera, or even know what was classed as one. But spent the past month looking and have found what I THINK is half decent being the canon sx40 ???? I'm not interested in dslr cameras as like the option of point and shoot in a manageable sized camera, and until I went to NYC I was happy with the 5x optical zoom offered by the Panasonic Compact and the zoom just wasn't up to the job , so whilst there bought an olympus sp 810uz as had 36x zoom, looks smart , little did i know it's low light shots are poor and the zoom takes a while to focus. Anyway, looking for some recommendations if I may please. Budget is up to £150. Rather not aa battery usage if possible

offitmassive

Anybody??

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
OK................first thing to put to bed (As it were) is..................Any bridge camera is going to perform OK!! In low light.........even the best. I have a Sony HX300 and its really good but even with that being the latest tech as far as a bridge camera goes will not do a wonderful job in low light, you need a DSLR and a good bright lens.

As for the one you mentioned, the SX40 Canon...................I had it one!!.............its good, better than most (And can be had within your budget) but for me it still was not great, or upto what I wanted out of a bridge camera and I went for the Sony HX300 and I'm happy with it..... but again, its a bridge camera and that has to be mentioned a few times because you have to work within certain parameters, meaning its a point and shoot with a long lens and will cover most basis well or OK but with that "What is expected of a Bridge camera and the parameters!"............basically its not a CSC or DSLR.

As for your budget........£150 will also get the Sony HX20V (I rate it) or a Sony HX30 or even maybe a Sony HX50. Panasonic make the FZ150 if you can get 1 or the FZ100. Good camera's.

The Nikon P520 maybe but I have not used 1 so cant comment.

Hope that helps a shade...............

ice

offitmassive

Yes many thanks for your recommendations. I'm aware it's just a point and shoot with a big lens and sometime a half decent sensor, that's all I want... And I know dslr cameras are the bees knees but I only take my camera on holiday once a year and I'm not even a keen photographer, just happy with a point and shoot but like to zoom sometimes, in NYC my 5x optical zoom just didn't cut it, and that's when my olympus 36x zoom was amazing. I'll have a look at the ones you said and see which take my fancy

offitmassive

I quite fancy them sony cameras, highly rated and look the part . Not badly priced either

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom