half decent 5.1 system for under £200 ?

somaKing

Hiya,

I've been trying to find a 5.1 speaker (+receiver) system. Budget is only £200 until I can convince my girlfriend that a 5.1 system is a valid investment.

I would like something that will do a half decent job of handling dvds (optical/coax), xbox 360 (optical) + general tv (although VM+ usually only outputs in bog-standard stereo :mad:)

The Sony HT-SS500 looks ok (approx £150 inc delivery) but I've read some reviews saying that it's quite weak-sounding, others saying that it's a great entry-level system.

Can anyone recommend a half-decent speaker system that won't completely embarrass me when my mates pop round?

roscopervis

There is the Yamaha AV59 set up which is a touch over £200 new. That is not bad at all really, my brother has one and I've been impressed.

somaKing

There is the Yamaha AV59 set up which is a touch over £200 new. That is not bad at all really, my brother has one and I've been impressed.

Sounds good from the feedback on avf, but it's really hard to find one. Have been looking for a while on Empiredirect, Richersounds, even eBay... but no joy. :confused:

Also I'm really looking for less than £200. I know that this is the budget market for a surround-sound system, but I've got a lot of 'higher priority' (but far more boring) things to buy ie. wardrobes, so I've got to put a limit on this somewhere.

That said.. if everything under £200 is 'poo' then I may as well wait a few months and start looking again.

oddfeld

Sounds good from the feedback on avf, but it's really hard to find one. Have been looking for a while on Empiredirect, Richersounds, even eBay... but no joy.

Apparently the AV3009 that Pixmania are selling is the same thing as the AV59, but sourced from Europe where they give the package a different model number. Same amp and speakers though.

OK, this is slighty over £200, but most things at this price point are budget one-box systems where all the amplification is built into a DVD player with few if any inputs for other kit, whereas the Yamaha 359 is a real AV amp.

somaKing

Apparently the AV3009 that Pixmania are selling is the same thing as the AV59, but sourced from Europe where they give the package a different model number. Same amp and speakers though.

OK, this is slighty over £200, but most things at this price point are budget one-box systems where all the amplification is built into a DVD player with few if any inputs for other kit, whereas the Yamaha 359 is a real AV amp.

Looks good - but Pixmania force you to pay an additional £20 for some 'advantage club' (ie. price-matching + refunds for faulty items!) plus £7 for a loyalty card. With p+p this soon adds up to almost £250.

Might try to call them to see if they can process order without all the bumpf

gullarm

They are sneaky buggers them Pixmania.

I have just bought a Logitech® Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System, they conveniently add on a pix club member card thing, to get a discount on your next order, you can remove this if you look in the right bit.

And to add insult to injury a guarantee package (£7) which is even harder to remove (look for the tiny little bin).

I spotted all these on my final bill and went back and removed them, the price went from 220 odd to 190, robbing gits.

But if you go thru Top cash back [Mod comment: Referral link removed, please read the rules: End Mod Comment] you get 1% back, so I got £1.90 back, bargain. Doing this has made me around £150 so far in a year.

somaKing

They are sneaky buggers them Pixmania.

I have just bought a Logitech® Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System, they conveniently add on a pix club member card thing, to get a discount on your next order, you can remove this if you look in the right bit.

And to add insult to injury a guarantee package (£7) which is even harder to remove (look for the tiny little bin).

I spotted all these on my final bill and went back and removed them, the price went from 220 odd to 190, robbing gits.

But if you go thru Top cash back , you get 1% back, so I got £1.90 back, bargain. Doing this has made me around £150 so far in a year.

Yeah - I use Quidco - well worth the effort!

What's the Z-5450 like? How well do the wireless speakers work?
Do you use it for tv etc or just your pc? etc etc
Specs look great.

gullarm

I have an account with Quidco but having used them twice I didnt get the cash, it didnt track thru.

With Top Cash Back I have a 100% record.

I still check quidco has a link when I'm looking to buy something.

The system hasn't arrived yet, it was posted this morning so Im hopeful for a delivery on saturday. the main reason I chose it was the wireless rears!

I know they are downsampled but will I be able to tell the difference after a few beers, dont think so. If I was well into my audio I wouldn't be spending £200, I would be adding a 0 on the end and probably doubling it.

somaKing

I have an account with Quidco but having used them twice I didnt get the cash, it didnt track thru.

With Top Cash Back I have a 100% record.

I still check quidco has a link when I'm looking to buy something.

The system hasn't arrived yet, it was posted this morning so Im hopeful for a delivery on saturday. the main reason I chose it was the wireless rears!

I know they are downsampled but will I be able to tell the difference after a few beers, dont think so. If I was well into my audio I wouldn't be spending £200, I would be adding a 0 on the end and probably doubling it.

I've been really lucky with Quidco - made over £25 just by buying an xbox 360 :thumbsup:

Might go for the z5450 myself - the beer logic makes perfect sense... and would save a lot of effort with trailing wires around the room. THX certified too!!

Would you mind letting me know how they work out for you??

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom