1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half a screen on DVD playback...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ivan8192, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Ivan8192

Standard Member

May 2, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Birmingham, UK

I'm gradually converting my normal PC (WinXP Pro, Athlon XP 1600+) into an HTPC, and learning lots about video modes etc. :)

I've hooked up my PC to my TV (32" flat 100Hz CRT Panasonic TX32PF10) with a VGA to SCART RGB lead. Using PowerStrip with a Sapphire Radeon 9000 64MB, I've got it displaying at 720x576 (interlaced+composite sync) - I get a bit of overscan with 576 lines, losing a little of the top of the desktop, but I'm not too bothered about that at the moment.

I've got PowerDVD XP 4.0. The problem is, when I play back a DVD I only get the top-half of the film :confused:

But it takes up the number of lines that a whole frame should, so everything looks vertically stretched.

Playback on my normal monitor with normal progressive video modes is fine. Playback when connected to the TV via the S-Video connector on the 9000 is fine (but quite a noticable quality difference to RGB).

Anyone got any ideas? I feel it must be because of being in interlaced mode, but I don't know why this should happen. Maybe I should try an interlaced mode on my normal monitor to see if I get the same thing.

Edit: Well I've tried it on my normal monitor at 1024x768 interlaced. Same thing happens, top-half of the frames only, stretched. Am I missing something about interlacing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.