Hair on the back of your neck moments (SPOILERS)

WorldChampionsGoo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Just watched the Shawshank Redemption (again) on Film Four and rightly confirmed itself as easily my number one film of all time. The film is superb and the commentary by Morgan Freeman is magnificent.

The hair on the back of my neck was on end as Freeman walks along the beach at the end saying, "I hope to see my friend again" etc. What a brilliant end to a brilliant film.

Time to ask the question then, what's your single most memorable "hair on the back of your neck" moment ...... anyone beat the end of the Shawshank Redemption?

I know I could win the loser of the year prize for this but it was the trumpets at the end of the Halo 3 announcement trailer on Xbox live marketplace.:eek: :suicide:

Movie wise, at the end of Return Of The King when the hobbits knealt down in front of Aragorn and he said "my friends you kneel for no one" and everyone bowed down for the hobbits. Incredible trilogy IMHO.

I also agree that Shawshank is one incredible piece of cinema that sadly seemed to pass by unnoticed by many.

Daerve said:
Movie wise, at the end of Return Of The King when the hobbits knealt down in front of Aragorn and he said "my friends you kneel for no one" and everyone bowed down for the hobbits. Incredible trilogy IMHO.

I also agree that Shawshank is one incredible piece of cinema that sadly seemed to pass by unnoticed by many.

agree on both accounts :thumbsup:

stephen kings IT is good for raising a few hairs too :devil: freaky film indeed :cool:

donnie darko, getting off the school bus and flying through the corridors colliding with all the main characters of the film (sorry for the crappy description, but if you've seen it you know what i mean)

and oldboy, numerous parts...

the very beginning; holding the guy over the edge of the building "i want to tell you my story..."

the first fight after being released "Can the imaginary training of fifteen years be put to use? [fights] Yes it can"

the corridor fight with the hammer, relentlous for want of a better word (or a correctly spelt one?)

Crash: Spoiler -> when the daughter rescues her father with her cloak |- a beautiful scene.

Toasty said:
Crash: Spoiler -> |- a beautiful scene.

Couldn't agree more. I remember that in the cinema and everyone gasped or shouted out loud!

Daerve said:
you can thank the great tom hanks for that
Mine was watching the matrix at the cinema, up to that time i had never seen a film with such great special effects and action and the hair raising bit was the helicopter bit, with neo holding onto Trinity's cable and the building exploding behind Trinity.

chaddy said:
you can thank the great tom hanks for that
Mine was watching the matrix at the cinema, up to that time i had never seen a film with such great special effects and action and the hair raising bit was the helicopter bit, with neo holding onto Trinity's cable and the building exploding behind Trinity.

That scene is amazing with a meaty sub, the blast wave just smacks you about.:smashin:

is off to watch the matrix.........................

The ending to Devils Rejects.

Wont spoil it for those who havent seen it but an amazing scene, with the most amazing song in the world ever used to fantastic effect...Rob Zombie is a legend in my eyes after making that movie

Never fails to bring a tear to my eye...which is bizarre considering as they are all murdering psycopaths :D :D

Neil

Abbeygoo said:
Hair on the back of your neck moments ....
You mean like spooky? If thats the case then its "American werewolf in london", the scene in the london underground:eek: i was 12 or 13 when i first viewed this and it scared me almost to death !!
Will.

rover2002 said:
You mean like spooky? If thats the case then its "American werewolf in london", the scene in the london underground:eek: i was 12 or 13 when i first viewed this and it scared me almost to death !!
Will.
Not so much spooky as really moving ...... :smashin:

When any 3 original Star Wars film stars - 20th Century Fox Fanfare onwards!
When Luke looks out from his home to the 2 sunsets
The final victory in ROTJ
...all makes my hairs stand up and get also goose pimples :blush:

Some good ones here, here are mine

Star Wars A New Hope the first scene of the battle cruiser going over the top of the camera, jesus watching that aged 8 at the pictures for the 1st time, hairs stood up, dropped my ice cream, jaw hit the floor, just one fantastic awesome cinema moment, even if you hate the star wars films, you gotta enjoy that bit.

Jaws the reverse zoom in to Rod Schneider during the realisation there is a shark out there, just stunning, classic, spielberg.

Breakfast Club The end credits just as John punches the air whilst walking away from school.

The Phantom MenaceDarth Maul speeding of on speeder to meet Qui Gon Jin for the first time, even now still can't believe Lucas killed him off:suicide:

Spiderman When he lowers himself vetical upside down for the first time through the ceiling, I just thought wow that actually looks like a scene out of the comic, really spooky.

I am sure there are more to come.

regards

Gary

Another one for me is at the end of Gladiator when they pick maximus up and carry him away. Always brings a tear to the eye.:blush:

Soundwave said:
Agreed.....great ending!

For me, apart from any scene in any movie with the World Trade Centre standing proud......

Another great ending (complete with erect hairs of course), is Fight Club when the buildings start to come down to the start of The Pixies 'Where Is My Mind".

Sorry.......:(

On topic, the end of Big Blue a Jean Reno is taken down by his freediving mate to die with the dolphins. Do throat lump moments count?

Russell

PLATOON- when alias is running away from the Vietnamese and he is gettign gunned down from behind and Charlie Sheen (always forget his name in the film) is in the chopper and then falls down on his knees and lifts his arms in the air and dies - very moving

Daerve said:
Another one for me is at the end of Gladiator when they pick maximus up and carry him away. Always brings a tear to the eye.:blush:

Yep that one gets me, and the very last bit, as Jabu, buries maximus's little "dolls" and say's .. I will see you again, but not yet...., not yet..

E.T. the ORIGINAL version.. when ET comes back to life, and there is the big escape.. just when they think they are safe... 2 police cars pull out in front the close up of the shot gun.. ET's Face.."oohhhhh" music builds.... bikes fly.!!:D i'm getting goose bumps thinking about it... Sad thing is, that scene looses all it's impact in the re-edit walky talky sham version.:thumbsdow

Soundwave said:

Wont spoil it for those who havent seen it but an amazing scene, with the most amazing song in the world ever used to fantastic effect...Rob Zombie is a legend in my eyes after making that movie

Never fails to bring a tear to my eye...which is bizarre considering as they are all murdering psycopaths :D :D

Neil

yep deffo a great ending, one of the best for me

When burke locks the door and leaves hudson and crew to fend for them selves in Aliens.

I always think, put yourself in either of thier situations, Burke although a complete t*sser must be a brave SOB to want to be alone in the complex.

and on the other hand the marines tooled up but no where to go with aliens raining down on top of them

Hi all

When Darth Vader tells Luke "I am your father !" in Empire Strikes Back

First volley from German machine gun into landing craft as ramp goes in Saving Private Ryan and later when Hanks character momentarily cracks up after medic is KIA

When Steve McQueen gets shot in Sand Pebbles "What happened ? what the hell happened !?"

Whole sequence in Speilbergs War Of The Worlds at crossroads when buried alien ship appears.

'Shower' scene at Aushwitz (?) in Schindlers List and later when Schindlers breaks down over how much more could/should have done.

LOTR Fellowship when Lurtz shoots Borimir several times.

Great Escape when McQueen/Hilts fails to clear the barbed wire (in fact just about any sequence with him on the captured motorbike !)

Any of the hand to hand action sequences of Bourne Identity and Supremacy

'Chestburster' scene from Alien

Dith Pran in Killing Fields telling Schonberg he is his friend when passport photo clouds.

Kill Bill 1 when bride fights Vivica Fox character and Kill Bill 2 when she takes on Daryl Hannah.

Original King Kong when he fights T-Rex

Gladiator initial assault on Germans in forest and shouts of "Roma Victor"

Last Samurai at end of Ninja attack when Samurai all shout together

When Rambo escapes from jail in First Blood (especially when the poor Cop at top of stairs get an elbow in face)

I could go on for hours at this !!! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom