Hair loss / hair transplant

Reaction score
Good evening all,

So, as the years have gone on I've been getting progressively worse hair loss which started on top as a small thinning but it seems to be getting worse and I know this because every time I wash my hair or try to style it, even with water I have various strands of loose hair in my palms.

I've been looking at solutions and they seem very thin on the ground especially ones which have guaranteed results.

Has anyone else had such issues and if so what did you do about it? I have started looking at transplants which are done in Turkey. But the difference in prices I've seen is quite big which makes me wonder what type of transplant I would end up with haha.

I've also looked at something called rogaine, but I believe once you stop using it, it'll return to normal or get worse.

Any tips or advice would be grateful. I've also added a few snaps to show the areas where is departing my scalp and leaving me with a pigeons nest 😂

Attachments

• 7A2AF632-4784-419B-B0F6-DA2CA65A4D37.jpeg
    7A2AF632-4784-419B-B0F6-DA2CA65A4D37.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 5EF8972A-DE30-4324-B4C2-776E2CEECFB8.jpeg
    5EF8972A-DE30-4324-B4C2-776E2CEECFB8.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 120
Haha. I think it's a matter of getting used to it. I get what you're saying though. I miss having hair and it does make you self conscious sometimes. I have a friend who uses Rogaine and seems to work for him. Not sure it's guaranteed to work for anyone though

Haha. I think it's a matter of getting used to it. I get what you're saying though. I miss having hair and it does make you self conscious sometimes. I have a friend who uses Rogaine and seems to work for him. Not sure it's guaranteed to work for anyone though

Your probably right, it would be having the initial balls so to speak to do it. I'm not so conscious currently but I know the more it moves down the back of the head the more conscious I'll be of it. I've always had a bald patch as such on top but as you can see from the pic, it's making its way down which is what was concerning.

I really don't think that a transplant is the answer.

You'd get some funny looks with a bloody-great kidney stuck on your head.

Another vote for cracking out the razor here!
nope...well no not until there is more head showing than hair...
.there are options available if you can afford the latest treatments that do work but take time and patience and some luck thrown in......

nope...well no not until there is more head showing than hair...

IMO that’s pretty much where the OP is at.

.there are options available if you can afford the latest treatments that do work but take time and patience
And ideally those options should be taken at the earliest opportunity to preserve hair follicles before they die.

and some luck thrown in......
Which is part of the issue. You can spend a load of cash and see very little in the way of results.

Far better to do this

Smart-arsery aside, I started losing my hair at the tender age of 21. Up until then, I had great hair. Hell, I had Bon Jovi hair! Back in 2000, my hair just 'died' - it stopped growing even though nutrients are still getting to it. My profile pic is me from Shaun of the Dead (filmed 2003) and it hasn't grown at all since.

My whole attitude was 'f*** it' and I just either left it Riff-Raff style or tied back. It got me a few film jobs, and things just get to a point where you stop stressing about it. Many won't agree, but it works for me.

Considered a hair unit?

Seems to be clinics around the country offering this whereby the thinning top is shaved clean and a patch of hair is literally glued on then cut and styled with your existing hair along the back and sides. Results look natural.... But I imagine it flapping off in the wind for some reason lol!!

No matter which way I look at it, shaving it all off is by far the best route. It will forever break the chains of being obsessed by the hair loss. Any kind of remedy that you apply or operation you undertake will always make you fixate on it more and consume you. Remember- people will only have to get used to your shaved head once.

you already have shortish hair so I don’t think it’ll be as drastic as you might think.

I thought my head's not the perfect shape for little/no hair either. But then I realised there isn't a perfect head.
I went the very short route many years ago (20 mm or so, then 10mm). This was at a barbers.
Now I simply do a home 1.5mm shave myself whenever I want to. It REALLY does stop you worrying about your hair, and there are so many people around with perfect hair who shave it very short anyway, that it doesn't look out of place. I'd argue that very short hair looks better than longer hair on most 'older' men.
Just get a home shaver and you'll never look back.
There's a thread here.
Your hand will be shaking like a leaf the first time you do it, but it's pretty impossible to fudge it up! You'll also save money, and will be in full control of how tidy you look. Want it 2mm every single day? No problems, 3-5 minute job after you brush your teeth. 2 week holiday, and worried it might look a bit untidy half way through? No problem, take your shaver and you'll look perfect every day.
I promise you, the majority of men with thinning hair go though what you are going through.

I'd agree with buying clippers (quickly before the prices go stupid again) & take progressively more off each time rather than going straight to all off.

Same here shave all over number 2/3 usually, mines been going thin since 20's and wasn't to much to start with as have quite soft big curly hair if it could grow.
I don't think I have the head for it either, but never really been overly concerned about look/clothes etc anyway.
I have 3 moles on back and side of my head that are visible to when shaved but I can't see them ha!

My wife prefers it short to and with her own looks isn't over the top but my god some of her friends and our friends on FB etc are far to concerned about eye brows etc!

Same here shave all over number 2/3 usually, mines been going thin since 20's and wasn't to much to start with as have quite soft big curly hair if it could grow.
I don't think I have the head for it either, but never really been overly concerned about look/clothes etc anyway.
I have 3 moles on back and side of my head that are visible to when shaved but I can't see them ha!

My wife prefers it short to and with her own looks isn't over the top but my god some of her friends and our friends on FB etc are far to concerned about eye brows etc!
Yes how femmes are obsessed with eyebrows the bigger the thicker the better...silly billies they have always been called in our household to this day.....
Just a bring us down to earth story..... home truths...but don't be sad now...Our beautiful daughter almost lost her life a few years back her breast cancer happened to furiously that her treatment was harsh very harsh. She never grew hair again and being such a LARGER than life character she walked around bald for ages and then came down to earth wanting to look good again so wigs tattooed eyebrows ,not sure about eyelashes...have honestly not noticed the few times I see her....she has side effects from having no underarm lymph nodes one side but she get on with it mostly....Was originally a hairdresser now she is a Carer to the elderly in their homes....they all love her....
Husband had a great head of hair but about 2/3 years ago started falling out in bucketloads so keeps it short and will often wear a cap when too hot or too cold but not to hide the patch..he says what he cant see he don't worry about....the way its going he will be seeing it soonish!!!:facepalm:

Last edited:
Another vote to cut it short. I got my wife to do mine. Zero straight down the middle. No going back after that.

I stupidly did it in the winter months so for a while I had a very white scalp and a nicely tanned face 😂 it soon evened out.

In the nicest way, the only person bothered about it is you. Once you get over it that's the battle won.

I remember being para when walking into the office but no one batted an eye lid.

Get the Remington above, you can easily do yourself then!

I do find the whole looks thing and always have done crazy how some are so concerned about, with the whole Instagram thing and filters etc. As ever when these celebs are caught no make up etc look same as us all.
In late teens remember being concerned more as was time for girls etc, but soon realised most cared more about personality and laughs to.
When see programs where are obsessed by looks or weight its then often a mental illness really but would it of been if they hadn't felt the need to try look like who ever, a whole other thread now i guess! lol
Same with guys now seem more focussed on look and hair etc than ever and must spend a lot of time getting ready etc, I have always been do as quick and easily as possible! as been said when walking down the road generally most don't bat an eyelid!

Get the Remington above, you can easily do yourself then!

I do find the whole looks thing and always have done crazy how some are so concerned about, with the whole Instagram thing and filters etc. As ever when these celebs are caught no make up etc look same as us all.
In late teens remember being concerned more as was time for girls etc, but soon realised most cared more about personality and laughs to.
When see programs where are obsessed by looks or weight its then often a mental illness really but would it of been if they hadn't felt the need to try look like who ever, a whole other thread now i guess! lol
Same with guys now seem more focussed on look and hair etc than ever and must spend a lot of time getting ready etc, I have always been do as quick and easily as possible! as been said when walking down the road generally most don't bat an eyelid!
people away from the larger towns do not honestly take much notice of you if you walked into a shop dressed in cement covered workers clothes muddy boots...annoying that that is....generally nobody bats an eyelid...They love to chat in the supermakert...abandon their trolleys abandon what they actually came in the store for!!! Us ex-pats stand out(not so much at this mask wearing time)we act differently I see that and me being tall feel like I stand out but I guess I likely don't...Now as nice as Anglouleme or Poiters is people act just a tad more in your face..toot ther cars more.....dressed very well mostly as well not so friendly even. Weight is an isusse with me as I have Hashimotos a thyroid condition that controls your metabolism.. have been too thin and then too large, hard to get the perfect 14 but its mainly me that notices;)

Shave it or rock a comb over.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom