Haggling with Vodafone? any joy upgrading early?

PhilNUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have been a loyal customer of Vodafones for 8 years nearly. Have upgraded many times.
Last time I upgraded was last April. I got a Sony 810i.
The contract they put me on was 18months... they refused to give me 12 months.

I rang up Vodafone the other day asking to be upgraded as I really want an N95. The bloke said 'everyone wants an N95'. He said my contract runs out in October, but I am allowed to upgrade in August.... I asked about him budging he said that I could have one now for £500 :rolleyes:

I was wondering how many people have been in my situation but have managed to convince them to upgrade? Did you threaten to leave them... I just don't want to do that and them say 'ok, just putting you through to cancellations' :suicide:

Can't help with the really early upgrade, but when they insist on putting you on 18 month contracts, simply refuse, and tell them you want a PAC code. They soon cave.

it's the code they give you in order to transfer your current number onto another network

You could try asking them to lower your tariff to the lowest amount possible, and threaten to pay off the rest of your contract and leave them for someone else unless they give you a good enough deal ;)

It's not usually possible to get an upgrade 6 months before the end of your contract, but since you're dealing directly with the network, and if you emphasise on the fact you've been with them for 8 years, they should be able to work some sort of magic - good luck! :)

Can't help with the really early upgrade, but when they insist on putting you on 18 month contracts, simply refuse, and tell them you want a PAC code. They soon cave.

Tried and failed, they cant match o2 at the moment.

Been with them for 6 years with 3 contracts at the same time and had nothing but hassle from them.I always paid on time every time but have had the various phones turned off due to their admin. They told me i was deceased 3 times, wrote letters to my wife offering condolances and in the next breath WHO is going to pay the bill!!

Glad to see the back of them TBH.I hate them with a passion:mad:

o2 seems the way...for now;)

I also contacted vodafone to upgrade to the N95. My contract ends at the end of May, so i was allowed to upgrade. They quoted me 30 pounds for the N95 on a 18 month contract...i said i wanted 12 months, so they offered me the phone for 90 pounds. when i refused, the guy was only happy to transfer me to the cancellations department...so instead i went into my local vodafone store, and they offered me the N95 for free on a 12 month contract...but my luck, had to reserve it as they have no stock..

Vodafone, go figure hey?

Don't fret about going to cancellations... only they are allowed to give you the 'juicy' offers.

Ring em again, speak to cancellations, and push for it, or tell em you want a PAC code. They are almost certain to give it you on a 12 month'er.

Having said all that, if you are prepared to wait for the shop, go for it!

no need...the store called me on friday to say they have my n95..it was worth the wait....:thumbsup:

no need...the store called me on friday to say they have my n95..it was worth the wait....:thumbsup:

Hope you aren't planning on using VOIP as Vodafone (and Orange) have disabled this on the N95. :(

S.

so did anyone have any luck haggling an early upgrade? i am really wanting to do this too. so its possible to get a 12months contract if you keep asking?

so did anyone have any luck haggling an early upgrade? i am really wanting to do this too. so its possible to get a 12months contract if you keep asking?

I think you will find the situation has changed quite markedly in the two years since the threas was created. Things are tight at the moment and the mobile companies are moving towards 24 and 36 month contracts. They are also less generous with "free" handsets. I personnally think you are very unlikely to be able to negotiate a 12 month contract.

Hi,

I was in my contract and called vodafone to upgrade to the N97 when it came out. They would'nt budge or do anything. I had to either pay for the remaining contract or buy the phone unsubsidised for £500 :suicide:

Two weeks later (last week), they called me and said you are now within your last 70 days and can have the N97 phone for free as my contact is around £50/m. I asked if they can simply continue the discounted line rental already applied for a further 12m's and said no. i said fine and :hiya:

Two days later, another Customer Service Rep called me and said, your upgrade is due, what would you like, i said iphone 3gs or the same discounted line rental, he said iphone 3gs is :nono: but continued discounted line rental, no problem sir!

When you in contract, Vodafone won't do anything but once your're out, you can negotiate a free phone over a 18-24m contact. They wanted £200 for the n97 over a 12m upgrade, 18m+ and the phone free.

24m-36m month contracts are absurd and :suicide: Phone will break or become outdated!

Best bet, get a sim only deal (Check on HUKD) as some are very good and upto £100 quidco or ask for discounted line rental.

Then buy a phone outright either from the Mobile classifieds section or on PAYG. Works out cheaper and you're not tied into a contract for a absurd period.

ie. I'm getting a discounted line of £20 which includes 1200mins, Vodafone STC and unlimited data which i think is good compared to the sim only deals. Vodafone STC allows me to use around 2200 mins/m ;) and i'm looking to buy an iphone outright if i can't find one soon enough. :(

This works out to max £20x12 = £240 for line rental and whatever the iphone 3gs costs me - Max £540 32gb Iphone 3GS payg = £780 for the year which is much cheaper than buying it on 02 and it's only 12months but hopefully, i can get the iphone cheaper than that.

Last edited:
I think you'd be surprised what you can haggle out of them. If you ring them and ask for the PAC code then you don't have to have any intention of using it. Just requesting/receiving it does not cancel your contract. Vodafone will then call you a few days later to try and convince you to stay.

I left Vodafone recently and the guy rang me up and said "Is there anything that we can do to make you stay?" Then reeled off a few very good offers. It's very much a name your price situation, certainly worth a go.

I think you'd be surprised what you can haggle out of them. If you ring them and ask for the PAC code then you don't have to have any intention of using it. Just requesting/receiving it does not cancel your contract. Vodafone will then call you a few days later to try and convince you to stay.

I left Vodafone recently and the guy rang me up and said "Is there anything that we can do to make you stay?" Then reeled off a few very good offers. It's very much a name your price situation, certainly worth a go.

indeed. Never take the deal upgrades or instore offer you. Use it as a guide sure but always ask to speak to retentions for a better deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom