Hadn't thought of this!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by phil5743, Mar 26, 2006.

1. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    With the (hopefully) iminent arrival of my new HD Sky+ Box, I suddenly noticed the amount of recordings still on my current hard drive waiting to be watched by various family members. Presumably unless the old box is put in other room these won't be retreivable after "HD day" so the pressure is on to do some intensive viewing. Luckily I have a 2nd Sony hard drive recorder that I can archive to but I will have to make time to do this. Not something I had thought of!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Yep as long as there is a weeks notice then I can clear the SKY+ and record a few other things direct to DVD or even VHS (got out of the cupboard:eek: ) or just rely on the repeat showings:)

3. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,937
    just thinking about that today...anyway cant chat got to watch 40 hours of saved material !

4. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    So there is an advantage to Freeview PVRs (other than no subs) after all! :clap: I'm looking forward to being able to move my Topfield upstairs so that my daughter can watch CBeebies in the morning instead of Milkshake with all those excruciating adverts (if I hear that Barbie tune once again I'll go feral). Sorry, off-topic-venting-spleen session over! :blush:

5. jay_edinburgh

jay_edinburgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry about it, you got plenty time to watch your recorded stuff :)

6. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    I have started copying my planner as it is 69% full on a 160GB disc!!

It seems a good idea to have a spring clean at the same time!

7. bigfinger

bigfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    85% on a 300 gig HD here... looks like we will both be glued to the box for a while.

8. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think you have two choices:-
    1. Keep the existing system (I presume Sky+) connected as well as the new Sky HD and play back at your convenience until you have watched all the recorded programmes. If you can't keep the old box connected then conncet it temporarily when you want to watch recorded programmes.
    2. Copy the existing recordings using the standard Sky+ facilities. The new HD box has some interesting connections that have potential for this purpose. In time we will see technical details for the new box and so establish whether this can be done.

9. White Noise

White Noise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good luck!

When we got a 2nd Sky+ box before Christmas, the intention was to move the old 40GB one upstairs when we'd watched it all. The 160GB is still on the upstairs screen! But don't have to worry now cos the 40's going to be replaced by ashiny new HD Box!:clap:

Does require more effort and discipline than you expect.

10. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Won't work, as you have to have a Sky card with a valid subscription in the Sky+ to play back recordings, at least from the pay channels. cards are married to boxes, so you won't be able to use the one in the SkyHD box.

11. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wonder if this is what the Sata connection on the HD box could be eventually used for. An external shuttle and your old HDD from the Sky+ box and then there's no need to lose your current archive.

There's no realistic way that I'll catch up with all of the content I have yet to view within the next few months and I'm loathe to lose some of the stuff on there. It would be nice if Sky gave us some way of viewing it after the swap to HD. I assume that if they gave us a card to allow the old Sky+ box to operate that we could just use it to view the content on the HDD without having it cabled up to the satellite dish?