Hades Review & Comments

I got this when it first came out on PC a long time back, and I've never really understood and adulation it gets. The combat is fine and the visuals are nice enough, but there's just not much to it.

The loop is basically this - clear room of enemies, clear room of enemies, clear room of enemies, die, listen to some NPC dialogue from some inanimate 2D heads, repeat.

It's okay in short bursts, but I get bored pretty quickly. I need more variety, something more than just endlessly fighting monsters in rooms. Psychonauts 2 is out on Game Pass soon and that looks so much more appealing than Hades, at least to me.

I went on this today for the first time, I died on the 3rd room came back, then I died on the 3rd room and came back, then I died on the 3rd room and uninstalled. :)

Back to Art of Rally.

I went on this today for the first time, I died on the 3rd room came back, then I died on the 3rd room and came back, then I died on the 3rd room and uninstalled. :)

Back to Art of Rally.
Cue all the "git gud" comments

Not my game genre but how can this be a 9 for graphics? Looks like games of old.

This is what a 9 (or 10) for graphics looks like

1628864464222.png

Cue all the "git gud" comments
I don't play these style of rouge like games so I suck at them, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about after seeing the reviews on Steam when the game launched.

I am not saying it's bad, it ran smoothly and looked good but it's not my type of game.

I don't play these style of rouge like games so I suck at them, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about after seeing the reviews on Steam when the game launched.

I am not saying it's bad, it ran smoothly and looked good but it's not my type of game.
I'm in the same camp tbh. Tried it today on the gamepass, I'm gonna give it more time (just got the bow n arrow so it changed it up a bit). Does seem very repetitive though.

The writing in the game is amazing. The sheer quantity of recorded dialogue for the number of different combinations of interactions is nuts.

I made some amazing progress on the Switch but I'm looking forward to starting again on the PS5.

One of my favourite games of recent years.

Waited weeks for it, sadly didn't enjoy and uninstalled. Not enough depth for me and too repetitive. Enjoyed the likes of deaths door and the ascent a lot more.

I have this on pc, got to last boss but didn't win, played around 25 hours, it is repetitive, but it is also very addictive and apparently even when you beat the final boss you haven't completed the game. But one game I'm currently loving is grime just came out dark souls metrovania, indie game only cost me £8.00 and its brilliant.

I have this on pc, got to last boss but didn't win, played around 25 hours, it is repetitive, but it is also very addictive and apparently even when you beat the final boss you haven't completed the game. But one game I'm currently loving is grime just came out dark souls metrovania, indie game only cost me £8.00 and its brilliant.
Grime does look good, but it’s PC and Stadia only atm. Hopefully it will come to consoles in the future.

It’s funny how some games click for people and not for others. I had no interest in Hades (or the ascent) but decided to try both as they’re on gamepass (Gamepass!!!) and loving both. Player a couple of hours of Hades this morning and can’t get passed the lady boss but can’t wait to give it another try when my sons I’m bed tonight

It’s funny how some games click for people and not for others. I had no interest in Hades (or the ascent) but decided to try both as they’re on gamepass (Gamepass!!!) and loving both. Player a couple of hours of Hades this morning and can’t get passed the lady boss but can’t wait to give it another try when my sons I’m bed tonight
Game Pass seems too good to true. I wonder how much longer it can go on in its current state. It's like being given the keys to the toy shop when everyone else has gone home.

Played on PC but got bored very quickly, back to my replay of all the Batman games

Yeah, I'm gonna agree with a lot of the comments here. This game is universally praised as the second coming of RNGsus but I was INTENSELY bored for the three hours I tried to love it. And, not criticising the reviewer who clearly loved this, but I do wish more reviews would have maybe hedged a little with this title. I don't believe a game should be a 10/10 recommendation when at least half the people who try it are bored to tears by it. Then again it's hard for a reviewer to appreciate that a game is going to be divisive if they are so firmly on one side of that fence and supported by any number of other critics.

I didn't like the art style. Didn't like the gameplay (repetitive, button mashy), and let's be honest, this game could have been released on PlayStation 1 with nothing changed bar the screen resolution.

I literally do not get why people love this game. I am dumbfounded. I do BELIEVE people love it, I will just never understand why. Procedurally generated levels filled with random mob spawns will just never be interesting to me in any context. I HATED Returnal too for precisely this reason. I ended up buying it based on all the glowing reviews only to discover it was exactly what I feared it would be: Button-mashy bollocks with a dull and unimaginitive procedural level structure.

Last edited:
I didn't like the art style. Didn't like the gameplay (repetitive, button mashy), and let's be honest, this game could have been released on PlayStation 1 with nothing changed bar the screen resolution.
I wouldn't say that's anything to ding it for. 2D is every much as valid as 3D. Personally I love the art style, especially the character portraits. It's really well done.

I find games like this are the sort of modern day equivalent of arcade games. Mechanically sound and fun in short bursts, but I'm not going to spend hours playing them in one go as they're just so repetitive.

The cross saves on the Game Pass version work between Xbox and Windows Store versions.
That's useful to know. Especially if you're buying it for the first time now and want to do a bit on your PC and a bit on your XBox. I just had the vaguest hope that they might have cracked cross platform saves so I could keep my Switch progress. But nope. Official announcement to say that it won't be happening due to technical issues.

I did see someone comment on the announcement to say the lack of cross platform saves meant that their time playing it had been "wasted" which made me chuckle. As if all their time up until that point had been completely joyless work put in only so they could play the same game on a different console. Some people are nuts.

That's useful to know. Especially if you're buying it for the first time now and want to do a bit on your PC and a bit on your XBox. I just had the vaguest hope that they might have cracked cross platform saves so I could keep my Switch progress. But nope. Official announcement to say that it won't be happening due to technical issues.

I did see someone comment on the announcement to say the lack of cross platform saves meant that their time playing it had been "wasted" which made me chuckle. As if all their time up until that point had been completely joyless work put in only so they could play the same game on a different console. Some people are nuts.

Interestingly Ubisoft have cross platform saves working on a few of their recent games, so you can move between PS5 to Xbox to PC in the likes of Assassins Creed Valhalla.

Of course you have to buy the game on each platform. That's the beauty of the Game Pass side of things, you get PC and Xbox together in the same sub.

i think the game is actually really well done and is rather good for this rouge genre, if your a fan of this game i highly recommend Undermine, unfortunately it just left the game pass, but another great game of this type is atomicrops which has just been added.

I'm enjoying this, great for a quick gaming session. I was just getting around to buying Binding Of Isaac for my SX, a game I previously had on my Switch and PS4. BOI is a better game I think but I'm happy to have saved some money.

I got this when it first came out on PC a long time back, and I've never really understood and adulation it gets. The combat is fine and the visuals are nice enough, but there's just not much to it.

The loop is basically this - clear room of enemies, clear room of enemies, clear room of enemies, die, listen to some NPC dialogue from some inanimate 2D heads, repeat.

It's okay in short bursts, but I get bored pretty quickly. I need more variety, something more than just endlessly fighting monsters in rooms. Psychonauts 2 is out on Game Pass soon and that looks so much more appealing than Hades, at least to me.
you completely missed what is this game about. IT is very deep game with large mechanics, it truly opens up after 30-40hrs of gameplay. First 20-30hrs there is zero boring, as game constantly throw at you new ways of play and you master you way of fun as you build your build. You will need grind constantly and there is great level of progress of character... no bad run is wasted, you will keep farmed ingredients to use for growing your character and new run will be better and better. It is 9-10/10 game also to me. Just pure gameplay, you will forget about time. just let the game open to you...

you completely missed what is this game about. IT is very deep game with large mechanics, it truly opens up after 30-40hrs of gameplay. First 20-30hrs there is zero boring, as game constantly throw at you new ways of play and you master you way of fun as you build your build. You will need grind constantly and there is great level of progress of character... no bad run is wasted, you will keep farmed ingredients to use for growing your character and new run will be better and better. It is 9-10/10 game also to me. Just pure gameplay, you will forget about time. just let the game open to you...
Opens up after 40 hours...?! Blimey. I can count the number of games I've played for that long on the fingers of one hand.

Life's too short, frankly.

Opens up after 40 hours...?! Blimey. I can count the number of games I've played for that long on the fingers of one hand.

Life's too short, frankly.
I think there's a miscommunication here.
The first runs of the game, up until you face Hades are all exploration and character development which are fast and fun. Then the dynamics change and it's about trying to build a good run as you have to bring down Hades in different ways in order to both level and progress the story. This is where a whole range of new gameplay dynamics are introduced to stop it being just an exercise in repetition. Then, in addition to that, there's the move toward the story's conclusion as the unlocks, builds and battles get progressively harder. It's a really smartly built game so that, actually, it's all too easy to put 30 hours into it without realising.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom