Had some work done in house, comments?

DrMekon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Would like some opinions.. dont want to say too much!

Thanks

Does it not have a low point at the join therefore water would collect there?

Is it just the perspective of the shot or does the waste pipe go down before going back up?

Is it just the perspective of the shot or does the waste pipe go down before going back up?

I also thought that.

Definitely.

And fitting valves in the middle of a floating pipe is ridiculous! Why couldn't they have run the pipe along the floor, neatly clipped into place? And how many joints?!?! Looks dreadful. The copper pipes will move, vibrate and knock against the bath supports. The waste water will collect in the waste pipe (along with hair etc).

This is what I hate about employing people to do jobs on your house. You never know how it's going to end up. I'm always disappointed. Rather just figure out how to do it myself!

It looks like the check valves were added to existing pipework, but if they were going to the effort of putting those extensions in why didn't they lay them properly? The two pipes look like they may be rubbing. As said already the drain pipe doesn't look good, but that deppends on what the pump is for. I can't see properly but is there a white drain pipe going to it? If it's to pump waste water out the dip may not matter "as much", but it still isn't ideal. I can't see enough of the pump to comment on it really, but I suspect your main question was about the white waste in the front of the picture.

This was just one of the glaringly obvious cockups..

Got a geezer in off "checkatrade" to do a bathroom refit, him and his buddy spent 1 day rippingsteel bath, toilet and sink out. Iron stack pipe got broke during taking out bath due to corrosion (apparantly), so he fitted what you see in the picture.

What was obvious to me is that the entry into this stack is at the same level as the bath plug hole, and yes, he has fitted anti-gravity pipes! He could be a millionaire this time next year! The waste pip you see rises upto a dink next to the bath which didnt have a trap, but a flexi hose that also travelled uphill! When you emptied the sink, water rose through the plughole in the bath!

Not to mention the fact that none of the pipewaork was secured, it was all floating. All this after 2 men working for 5 days, at the end of which they had by no means finished! They left friday saying they had other commitments the following week and would be back ASAP. So, myself and my 32w pregnant wife had no bath or shower to use, no upstairs toilet!

I had no choice but to get someone else in who had to rip everything out and start again. One man working on his own did the full install in 4 days including cladding the walls and fitting a shower screen. Other geezer now wants to send me a bill for £650! Ive told him no way.. Ill pay him for the first day removal and thats it. He has said why didnt I tell him I was unhappy, and have him back to put right. Ive told him, if thats the standard or your work, I dont want you in my house, and being without a bathroom for well over a week, and him not telling me when he was coming back to finish was simply not good enough.

Im now waiting to see what his next move is, but Ill be suprised if he simply drops it!

Ah, I get it, that's the repaired stack, not a pump; terrible work the pipe should enter the stack well below the level of the bath plug as you say.

Initial thoughts is that the builder has done a cock up LOL

Clearly, from your single photo and your story, this guy and his mate are true 'cowboys'.

And you are even going to pay him for his first days work? Hmmm? It seems to me he is totally in breach of his verbal contract with you and is due absolutely nothing! You have had to pay extra to further undo the work that he and his mate did so as to start again.

He might be due £2.50 for taking your bath panel off. Is it still in the house? Is it undamaged?

And I do agree that you should not let this man back in your house to do anything else for you. Goodness only knows how the work might go, and be left, after another such effort from him. Very clearly he just does not know how to do this kind of work properly.

Really?

:devil:

:smashin:

Is there one? I see the plank the bath feet are sitting on and a waste off cut loose on the floor, and the piece the bath panel attaches to, but nothing else :confused:

First thing I would do is give some negative feedback on these rogues to Checkatrade : Customer Feedback Form I think they would take this very seriously considering you found them on their site. I presume it was this site you found them on?

DrMekon said:
I had no choice but to get someone else in who had to rip everything out and start again.

Did you ask the new guys opinion?

You need to be careful if you are not going to pay.
Ask the new guy for a written professional opinion and leave the old (new) parts for the other guy to collect.

Any parts you are keeping you have to justify why I.e they were replaced.
Might look a bit odd if you were accusing them of shoddy work but kept certain items.

Does look shoddy tho. But hey that kinda thing I'd of done myself :p (obviously better than what they did lol )

The reason he's put so many joints in is because they have gone from 15mm to old half inch on the cold side and three quarters on the hot side back again on the other side,he should of just cut it all out and started again.

Clipping the pipes to the floor,bet those service valves aren't full bore either...

The broken stack could of been fixed correctly with a timesaver cast iron connector,ensign do a similar product,alot neater than those rubber bands...

Basically its a £150 in and out job,can't believe he has the cheek to ask for £650:laugh:... Brass neck...

The reason he's put so many joints in is because they have gone from 15mm to old half inch on the cold side and three quarters on the hot side back again on the other side,he should of just cut it all out and started again.

Clipping the pipes to the floor,bet those service valves aren't full bore either...

The broken stack could of been fixed correctly with a timesaver cast iron connector,ensign do a similar product,alot neater than those rubber bands...

Basically its a £150 in and out job,can't believe he has the cheek to ask for £650:laugh:... Brass neck...

Ah, thanks for that, I was wondering...

Cheers for all your opinions and advice - Im still yet to hear back, so have no idea what his intentions are, hoepfully hes crawled away with his tail between his legs, although I am half expecting a solicitors letter!.. but to be hones, if he wants to go down that route, then bring it on!

This is how the work looks now, after I got someone else in to recitfy:

185408_10151169491725359_1364301982_n.jpg

and th emore complete image, still a bit of decorative work to do...

531153_10151184905615359_639317938_n.jpg

The fact that water from the sink entered the bath is the first one to mention - that should be basic.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom