Had Sky HD fitted this morning - my initial verdict is....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wj209980, Jan 19, 2008.

1. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Picture Quality = WOW :thumbsup:

Just been watching a bit of Mission Impossible III and it looks awesome! Also watched some of the BBC HD Preview stuff, and its all looking fab! I also think the HDMI connection makes the SD channels look a bit sharper too.

And now for the Sky related things that have taken up an unnecessary amount of my time today...

1. I had to call Sky as the recording functionaility on the HD box didn't work - you all know how long it takes in the queue! They activated this and it did get sorted almost straight away though.

2. I already had Sky Multiroom and Sky+, so when I had the HD box fitted I asked the engineer if he would move the Sky+ box upstairs to replace the standard box and get the cards married up etc (I wasn't bothered about having a second input installed to the Sky+ box upstairs - we are moving house in a few months - so it would be an easy job). He told me he couldn't do this as it "wasn't on his job list", so I would need to do this myself.

A couple of hours ago I set it up myself, but didn't have recording functionality, and I couldn't watch back any of the recordings I had made on the box. I remembered I need to marry the cards, so I called Sky (again) and they married the cards up. Recording problem sorted. The bad news was I still couldn't watch back any of the programmes that were already recorded on the box! Everything I tried to watch just gave the error "recording interrupted".

I did a search myself (better than speaking to Sky CS!), and it seems that if the recording was made using a different card, you will never be able to view them! Arrrgghh :thumbsdow

My heart sank for a moment, as when the Mrs returns from work and finds out she can't watch her recording of Tuesday's Shameless, I will probably find myself sleeping in the car for the rest of the weekend :eek:

Reading a bit further my search revealed that if the recording was a free-to-air channel you should be okay - tested it and its fine! Phew :clap: Lucky escape, but not very good is it really! So basically I may as well delete everything off the box which was not recorded off a free-to-air channel (which would leave just Shameless :rolleyes:)

2. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    It's worthwhile recording the Sky HD Test Card and keeping it in your planner. It's on at 2am tomorrow morning on Sky Arts HD.

The fine adjustments I made using it made my HD pictures even better.

3. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Had the same problem recently when upgrading to HD. After some arguing on the phone the Sky CS woman agreed to swap the pairing of the cards over so I could watch my old recordings. The problem stems from Sky insisting that the main viewing card is paired with the HD box only. Give Sky a ring and insist they swap the cards over. To Sky's credit, once the woman on phone finally comprehended what I was requesting they were actually quite helpful, even calling me back to save my phone bill. :thumbsup:

4. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Just put the card in that you made the recording with (if this is now in your HD box) when you want to watch any you have saved on your sky+ box. Even though it is now paired to another box it will still let you watch your old recordings.

We had exactly the same problem when we got HD

5. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Blistering blue and Hem many thanks for your suggestions on how I can still watch my recorded programmes on the "old" Sky+ box :thumbsup:

derek500 thanks for your suggestion on recording the test card - will defo be setting my box to record this! Only had my screen a couple of weeks, so not really played with any settings on it yet (just using the presets - yes I know this is bad :rolleyes:) so this will give me a good opportunity to start tweaking :D

6. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm amazed you think SD looks better through HDMI. It is far worse.

People usually have their box configured with HDMI and Scart cables attached at the same time.

1. Use HDMI for HD channels, far better than component or Scart.

2. Use Scart for all SD material, far better picture than HDMI.

Then just switch your input selections on the TV depending on which material you are watching.

7. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree. It may be TV dependant but on my Tosh WLT66 the SD picture is far superior through HDMI than through Scart. You notice the difference if you switch between Sky Sports 1 on Scart to HDMI and then Sky Sports HD during a simulcast. The picture quality between the Scart and HDMI on Sky Sports 1 is unbelievable but the difference between Sky Sports 1 and HD isn't as great. Like I say it may be make a the difference may be more apparent on different tv's although the Tosh had good reviews on SD scart input which is why I bought it 18 months ago.

8. cheapskate58

cheapskate58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think you are utterly wrong on this.

Hdmi is fine for both SD and HD channels. Absolutely zero need for a useless Scart cable to be put anywhere near the two units!

Change output on the Sky HD box from "auto" to "1080i" and I think you may be pleasently surprised!:clap:

9. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    There are threads on this in the Plasma forum correctly indentifying the best route for each type of source. Component is even better than Scart on a plasma for SD but component won't hold aspect ratio settings as Scart will for different settings.

HDMI even with the box set at 1080i is very soft, blurry and distorts horizontal text scrolling such as on BBC News 24 compared to Scart. The difference is massive. Just plug a decent Scart cable in and switch between the two on your plasma etc to see the huge difference.

10. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Totally disagree, and if you're seeing the kind of difference you describe here, I'd suggest something is wrong with your box, TV or both. The text tearing is down to interlacing (box vs. display) and the cadence of the material broadcast, which on BBC and Sky News is often a complete mishmash and an unreliable test.

On my (calibrated) display HDMI has the edge on SD material. It certainly isn't "soft" or "blurry". Bear in mind that most modern displays work in the digital domain, therefore by using SCART (RGB, composite or S-Video?) you're passing the signal through two completely unnecessary conversions.

11. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The signal is already being converted anyway to fit your screen such as 768 lines or 1080, so passing it analogue is a red-herring.

Many people find Scart set to RGB out, or Component better than HDMI for SD, see the whole page of these links:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4778945&highlight=scart+hdmi+sky#post4778945

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...art+component+hdmi+sky+sd+hd+best#post4837630

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...ht=scart+component+hdmi+sky+sd+hd#post4791002

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...ht=scart+component+hdmi+sky+sd+hd#post4631274

The picture improvement for Scart over HDMI is like night and day. Just put a decent Scart lead in as well as HDMI connected then select a decent PQ SD channel and then switch back and forth on your TV remote between HDMI & Scart inputs. It's as easy and simple to do as that.

Massive difference in detail, sharpness and overall coherence with Scart-RGB or Component compared to HDMI, but I don't know why this is so.

HD stuff however is far better with HDMI as others point out. People should not just glibly assume that some fancy new cable is better for everything 'because it's new' or the 'latest thing'. If people have a decent Scart cable, just try comparing as I've described to see the difference.....takes 5 minutes to dispel an assumption that everyone makes.

A decent (not hugely expensive nonsense) Scart is needed as it's analogue and quality counts for analogue signals unlike digital signals where a person might think a £100 HDMI cable is better than a £2 one which it isn't as long as full contact is made between the surfaces at both ends, but that's another story.

12. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    On my Samsung I can do a 50/50 PIP with HDMI on the left and SCART on the right. Handy for a direct comparison without having to flick between the two.

HDMI has the edge. Slightly better definition.

13. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Have you got the Sky box and the TV set to RGB on the Scart though?

14. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    IsThatTheTimeI see that you have a Panasonic TH-42PX70PED which only has a pixel resolution of 1024x768. I wonder if all the other plasma TV owners who think that SCART gives a better picture than HDMI have plasma TVs of the same resolution? AFAIK no 42" plasma has a higher resoltuion.

SD looks far better over HDMI than via RGB SCART on my Samsung 46" LCD TV (1366x768) & Panasonic PT-AE700 projector (1280x720 & also LCD).

15. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    An interesting point. Either the resolution or a plasma related issue. I'd be interested in knowing from people who have tried the comparison whether their TV is CRT/LCD/Plasma and at what resolution? If the SD HDMI problem is not universal and is resolution inherent rather than plasma orientated I'll need to get a Full HD Panasonic or Pioneer plasma as it's annoying having to keep changing inputs when watching SD to get the best picture.

16. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Yes.

17. terryf

terryf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have 46" Samsung 1080p I only use hdmi and HD or SD are very impressive.
    Terry

18. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,079
    The Panasonic 42PZ70B & 700's are full 1080p panels and imho both look better through HDMI than Scart with SD channels.

19. cheapskate58

cheapskate58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Mine is an LG 50 PC55.

I've set the SKY HD otiput to 1080i and I'm absolutely chuffed with the difference on SD and HD via HDMI - really, really better:thumbsup:

20. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You're misunderstanding. A display with a resolution that doesn't match that of the signal scales the signal, but with HDMI it does so digitally. There are no analogue steps whatsoever. If however, you use RGB, S-Video or composite (heaven forbid), the signal undergoes a D/A conversion in the Sky HD box, suffers signal loss throughout the transmission stage, then has to be converted back to a digital signal for the display to process. None of this can possibly improve the picture, in fact it usually degrades it, which is why 99 out of 100 cats prefer HDMI.

No it's not. In your system maybe, which is why I suggested that you should investigate how it is set up, or what your display is doing to the HDMI signal. If SCART (all upper case, it's an acronym) is that much better, something is wrong. SCART in itself is a horrible connector.

I do, something isn't right. This afternoon I tried your experiment, using HDMI, SCART and component connections out of the Sky box into my calibrated Pioneer display. All QED in case you want to go down that road (not that I believe in fancy wire), a set of Quinex P-CV for component, a Silver Reference AV-41 for SCART and a Quinex HDMI (stupid money) for HDMI.

This demonstrated to me, in my system, that HDMI is better for SD, not by a huge margin, but the difference is easy to spot.

21. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for causing an argument with my "throw-away-comment" that I thought the PQ of SD broadcasts was better when using the HDMI connector :oops:

Anyway, i'm still loving my new HD set-up :D

Must say though, after forking out £4 to watch Pirates of the Carribean 3 last night on Box Office HD, I feel this was £4 down the drain - by far the worst film in the trilogy, it is so dragged out :mad:

22. SimonY

SimonY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got Sky HD last Friday with a Sony KDL40X3500. Currently only connected by HDMI and both the SD and HD pictures are excelllent. I did consider having a SCART as well as the recommended settings that I've found vary for HD and SD so using a different input is a way of addressing this. However I don't think the rest of the family is going to cope with changing inputs depending on the channel!

23. corky5871

corky5871
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same make and model plasma as IsThatTheTime, and although I was surprised by this, I too am finding that on SD channels the Scart connection provides a sharper picture than HDMI.

Perhaps this is specific to this plasma. Would be interesting to hear if other owners experience the same.

Incidentally, I have set the output on HD box to both auto and 1080i and the result is the same.