1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had Panasonic PW7 42... What next? Samsung PS42S5HX/XEU

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mike79, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

I bought a Panasonic PW7 42 in December but when I recently sold my flat the buyers bought the screen off me too as it was wall mounted.

I am now on the hunt for another screen. Thought of a 50" rear projection TV, but could not see any with a picture that I liked. Now back with plasma. I could get another Panasonic PW7, and they appear to be quite cheap now.

I saw a Samsung PS42S5HX/XEU in Comet (£1999) and have seen it online for £1500. Of all the plasmas in Comet, incl Panasonic Viera and Pioneer etc, this one seemed to have the best connections, incl HDMI, and the nicest picture.....

Anyone got experience of these, or suggestions for others? I liked the Samsung for the HDMI cos it is a bit more "future proof".....

Any advice appreciated :hiya:

Mike

2. yaris123

yaris123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres loads in the forum about this tv, Ive currently got one on order from John Lewis who price matched RGB showroom for £1589 and therefore has a five year warranty. I too picked this one becuase it has all the connections ill need and from what people have said its a very good tv. Hope this helps

3. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 4th gen samsung handled panning and motion awfully. Everything smears across the screen. I haven't used a 5th gen panel, but I have heard people mention this problem with them too. I'd steer clear of samsung screens if I were you.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    My mate just got one, he has a PW5 in his main room and got the Samsung as a replacement and was going to move the PW5 into the kids room. However he said it is no where near as good as his Panny and is going to try and get a refund, if not he will put that in the kids room as he said he really couldn't watch it, it is that bad.

5. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    There are issues with all Plasmas including Panasonic - don't be so quick to judge!

A quick scan of your posts reveals - shall we say - a certain grudge against Samsung which hardly qualifies you to pass judgement on a product you have not even seen.

Anyone who's interested in the new Samsung range should find it pretty easy to see one in the flesh and make their own judgment!

BTW I returned a PWD7 because of motion blur - I now know that probably ALL Plasmas may suffer from this - some people are more susceptible to this than others - BUT I would not say "steer clear of Panasonic" in fact I eagerly await the new PWD8.

If it were not for the likes of Samsung, LG etc, Panasonic would still be charging us £3000 plus for SD plasmas

Gussie :)

6. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No smearing on mine. No buzzing either. It handles panning and motion very well.

7. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My grudge is not unfounded. I used to own a samsung plasma.

8. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but this is a 5th generation Samsung. I have no knowledge of previous versions, but am happy with my 5H.

9. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    cheers for the help

hoping to buy one either today/tomorrow so may have a nip back to Comet to have another look......

Has there been any improvement on the Panasonic HDMI issue, or are the 7 series doomed to not have the connectivity and the 8 series will??

Cheers

10. Nobu

Nobu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent a couple of hours playing around with both (settings etc) in a store, and while not an ideal enviroment I thought the panny picture did look significantly better than the sammy (I was originally trying to persuade my bro we should get the sammy), the sammy looks better than the panny when off though.

11. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yeah, I have just read a few reviews on the net, and although the Samsung seems a better deal due to HDMI connections, it seems that the price is for connections rather than quality? with the Panasonic TH42PE50 at a similar price, it seems that you get a better quality picture etc, along with a nice stand!

Q - what is the difference bewteen the Panasonic TH42PE50 and TH42PA50????? Comet sell the TH42PE50 for £1995

Ta

12. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    PE has digital tuner built in PA has analouge tuner.

13. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    so it makes no odds if I am not using the TV tuner as I have Sky+?

Also just discovered the Panasonic TH42PV500..... THis is a nightmare! I'm the most indecisive person out there! Decide on Panasonic then I discover 3 models in my price bracket to choose from!! The PV500 is the HD equivalent??

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    If you can afford the PV500 then go for it, if you are not one to want to spend another £1000+ on isf calibration and scaler the PV500 is probably the best screen out there, and it is future proof.

The PA50 can be had for £1250 delivered with a wall bracket or desktop stand, but the PV500 is definitely worth the extra.
    Once HD becomes available scalers etc. wont be so important anyway, I think only the fussiest will see a need to squeeze more out of the image, so my money would be on the PV500 or wait for the 8 series panny or 6 series Pioneer.

Anyone who can't get a Panasonic to look better than a Samsung is doing something very wrong.

15. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Don't agree for a moment that scalers won't be so important once HD is available. The degree of picture quality adjustment that the good scalers provide will be just as relevant once HD is mainstream as it is now.

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Oh I agree Piers, and as soon as there is a decent one that can do per pixel deinterlacing of 1080i I will upgrade. I personally couldn't live without my Crystalio now, just for what it does on the video processing side as much as scaling/deinterlacing.
    But I don't think as many people will add a scaler with HD as they do now with SD stuff that needs all the help it can get.
    I love deinterlacing D-Theater from 1080i to 1080p and going through the scaler and leaving it at 1080i makes alot of difference too, but at the same time I would take 1080i untouched over scaled dvd everytime (ok, well 99% of the time there are some bad HD transfers ;) ). But you have to remember most of the general public are happy with a composite feed, and it is only us fussy ****ers that want to squeeze every last drop out of set ups.