1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had my TV two months problems with it and I have to pay £30 call out!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pixel, May 6, 2003.

1. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £30 for someone to look at my TV can you believe that and I paid £150 for a 3 year warrantee. as well!!!!

lovely service...not!! :nono:

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Whick make of TV and where did you purchase it from?

3. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba and I got it from http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk

Guess what once I pay the £30 call out (on a new TV mind you) if they don't agree it's a fault they will charge me AGAIN!

It is not clear in thier terms look:

"Product Guarantee
    The manufacturer guarantees all purchases for a period of 12 months, unless stated, from date of invoice. The guarantee excludes faults caused by accident, neglect or misuse. In addition, routine maintenance (cleaning of dirty audio/video heads etc), consumables (styli, plug fuses, cables, batteries, etc), cosmetic damage and tuning of channels is not covered. The full cost of a service will be charged if no fault is found with your product. Call out charges on all items to be paid by the customer. The customer is responsible for returning any goods at their own expense. If your product should fail within this period, our customer services department will arrange for repair to the manufacturer's authorised service agents.
    Service Department Tel: 0208 478 1444 Monday-Friday 9.30am to 5.30 pm."

This is disgusting

4. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I bought a panasonic 36 incher from an internet company and have had nothing but problems. The TV is still faulty but "within specification"
    I definately would not not buy off the internet ever again because most of the companies have clauses.
    If you buy from a shop you can shout and ball at the salesperson if they are not reasonable and usually get a result. Try and do it with most internet retailers and you usually just don't get a response. They can ignore phone calls, emails and letters.
    And they always want to charge you for some form of service, whether it be collection service for the faulty TV or service charge for the local engineer to come round and visit.
    Bang out of order if you ask me.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Have you asked to see these 'specs' ? Do they make them available pre-purchase ?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You could go for an Idependant Service call out.
    When an authorised service person does the check if they find a fault then call them out, might cost you a bit more but you will find out if they are cowboys!!!!

7. LeonidS

LeonidS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have bought a 36 TV from prcdirect. First set have PQ problem and they changed it without too many questions. Second one buzzes too much and I got a refund from them. so if you are persistent you will get what you want. So I think PRCDirect is not bad at all ... but you need to be persistent.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Exept he's dealing with RGBdirect.

9. LeonidS

LeonidS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what I wanted to say that you need to be a bit firm and persistend with them no difference who a supplier is.

10. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm going down the route of the independant engineer. That's as soon as I can find one that will touch a tv from a internet company. Seems internet bought TV's have something of a stigma.

11. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    It's a simple case of economics. People generally buy from the Internet because it's cheaper. To get the the prices down, something has to go. In most cases the thing that goes is decent levels of Service when things go wrong.

12. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might agree but shops can be just as bad. I thought buying from the internet was cheaper because of less overheads

13. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I agree with the view that some Internet companies are not all they should be. I have no problems with buying stuff off the net within reason. DVD player, HiFi etc no probs but would not consider buying a Widescreen TV.

Do your research and get John Lewis to price match one of the low price shops. My dealing with John Lewis Newcastle have shown that nothing is too much trouble for them.