1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had my Pio 434 replaced last night

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Diapason, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi folks,

Some of you may have read my posts before detailing various issues I was having with my 434 (mainly the picture dropout issue and the "dirty tube" streaking phenomenon). One media box replacement so far hadn't solved the problems, so last night, Pio came and replaced both screen and media box.

First the good news. I now seem to have an upgraded media box as switching seems much quicker between channels and there's been no sign of a dropout yet (touch wood). Also, I remember reading somewhere that the update to the box is meant to get rid of a certain "milkiness" in the image. I'm pleased to report that it has, and colours now look a lot better. The previous one had a slight tendency to look "washed out" that seems to have been solved. Girlfriend agreed the picture looked somehow sharper as well, so all good in that department.

Another plus is that I had myself convinced that the new screen would have some broken/stuck pixels, but I haven't seen any yet.

Unfortunately, the vertical streaks I was seeing on fast horizontal pans are still there. Mr Pio was pretty surprised I think, but agreed that it was irritating and that it shouldn't be there. He's going to get the tech boys to look into it, and he'll get back to me.

Perhaps some other 434 owners could help here. If you have "Ice Age", go to the scene at 8:10 where the sloth throws a stone (can't remember character's name). There's a quick horizontal pan, and the effect I'm talking about can be seen in the white background. It's fleeting, but it's visible. If you could try it on RGB SCART with DRE set to mid and all other processing turned off, I'd be much obliged.

Anyway, I think I can live with the problem if necessary. Perhaps I'm just being a fussy git. Can't really complain about service either, 3 media boxes and 2 screens have been sent my way no questions asked. You can't say fairer than that!

Si

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sloth is called Sid :) and what a brilliant film it is too

Gary

3. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Of course, how could I forget Sid :D

Si

4. KelvinHT

KelvinHT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    could you try something for me, run a DVD on scart RGB that has a 525i mode or a PS2 or XBox that uses the same mode

5. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep, I regularly watch R1 discs on 525i mode via RGB. In fact, now that I think of it, my LOTR:FOTR extended is R1 and I have seen the problem on 525i via RGB SCART with that disc. I'll look again tonight and try to find exact timings if you want.

Si

6. KelvinHT

KelvinHT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  7. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    KelvinHT, I was idly reading this thread and noticed you had a Freeview box with a 433HDE - what sort of picture quality have you attained with these two? Sorry to take things off topic...

8. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    KelvinHT,

That link only brought me back to the forum page, and not to a specific topic. Was this the question about the screen displaying 625i even when you're running 525i? If it was, I don't have this problem. The screen always says what I think it should!!

Si

9. KelvinHT

KelvinHT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a Pioneer Freeview box and a 434, I'm happy with PQ.

10. KelvinHT

KelvinHT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  11. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Kelvin,

I've been running DVDs on 525i and 625i via RGB since I got the replacement box and have not seen any dropout at all. On my previous box I would have expected to see a few by now. All in all, it seems the dropout problem has been solved. (I hope I'm not jinxing it by saying that!!)

Si

12. KelvinHT

KelvinHT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks for the feedback.