Had my 1st crash yesterday!

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by addyb, Sep 6, 2007.

1. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Well to cut a long story short a taxi ran into the side of me causing massive dents in the passenger side of my car. Its his fault although he says its mine. We have exchanged contact and insurance details and i will be calling my insurance at 12pm today.
    I have documented everything that happened, taken pictures and even made a diagram whilst still fresh in my mind.

As ive never had to claim before i just wondered what happens next, and roughly how long can the whole process take?

2. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Have you reported it to the police?

I suggest you take pics of his car and yours. The driver and any passengers he had.

Are you fully comp? report to insurance company if fully comp they will provide you will a hire car. Ensure you have all witness details forward them to the company. Most companys take your statment over the phone. BE HONEST its the only way my friend.

Doe snot matter who is at fault as long as both of you are ok.
    As for time, it can take upto 3 years. If its a simpe claim and no whiplash is involved it can be puit away in 3 months. If its a bad company they drag their heels even if they know they are at fault.
    If you have ncd then its affected untill its sorted out. When you renew your policy ensure you tell them this is pending and MAKE SURE THEY WILL PAY YOU THE DIFERANCE. By this i mean if your ncd is full they remove 20%.

Anyway enough for now, let us know how you got on.

Ayub.

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    I had a crash yesterday! (I'm not a taxi driver though!). I was at a traffic light junction (cross 4 way junstion) waiting to turn right, green for me and the oncoming lane opposite. I pull forward, check its clear for me to turn right and I turned. Don't know where the other car came from or even if it had its lights on because I didn't see it and mrs in the passenger seat didn't see it until it hit us head first onto my near side impacting front and rear doors.
    Complete accident by both parties but of course I am too blame....

I feel absolutely terrible,it is just one of a number of bad things to happen to me lately, but of course all the bad things affect the mrs and baby too.
    At least no one has been injured, thank god!

4. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Sorry to hear that mate. The main thing is no one was hurt thankfully!
    Same in my instance. I was a bit shook up by it afterwards and my hands were shaking when trying to use my mobile. If we were going any faster than it could of been a different story. Im more annoyed at the fact that its clearly the other drivers fault but he wont have any of it. So its left to our insurance companies now to sort it out!

5. doopydug

doopydug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What happened? What caused the accident?

6. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Well i was about 20 metres behind a taxi going about 25mph and he signalled left and started turning as if to mount the kerb and pull over. I signalled right and started to overtake still very much on our side of the road. All of a sudden he swung his car to the right and drove right in the side of me!!

My passenger side is a right mess and he has a small dent on the front right hand side. His version of events is that he was signalling to go right and I overtook him on the right hand side of the road and as he was turning off he ran into me.

Thats all utter bullsh**

7. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
  8. gus607

gus607

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I sincerely hope that you have witnesses otherwise you could have a problem convincing his insurance company that he is at fault, good luck & hope everything gets sorted..

9. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Sorry to hear this lads, it can be a long and stressful wait to get these things sorted out.

Addyb, I had exactly the same crash as you about three years ago, guy in front constantly slowing and motioning to park to the left, got sick of it after 300yds and overtook, as I done this he decided to park to the right - BANG! verdict it was my fault unfortunately.

Liam

10. zelnik

zelnik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it's your word against his and because he was ahead of you (ie had more of the right of way) they're liable to take his word for it or perhaps do a 50/50 claim.

Just my opinion of course having dealt with similar circumstances, the way every insurance company I have dealt with do it is in a very matter of fact black and white situation.

Normally the claims advisor should be able to give you advice on who will be found to be at blame

11. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Well i know how these things work out and after reading your post mate im even less optimistic that he will be found at fault.
    In terms of insurance im not bothered about repairs to my car as its getting scrapped anyway after the engineer has done a damage report. Everyone ive spoke to is 100% convinced they will write the car off. Im more bothered about having a claim on my insurance and pushing the premiums up.

12. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    Just got back from the garage. My lovely car is a right off. I am absolutely gutted. I'll get about a grand for the car which was £22,000 when new 10 years ago and only has 45,000 miles on the clock. All lovely grey leather upholstery and electric everything. I am just SO gutted!
    Just one of a number of unfortunate, expensive and stressful things going on!

13. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Ouch i feel for you mate!!

Im lucky in the respect that i was driving a shed (renault 19 prima) and the cost of the damage repair far exceeds the value of the car.
    I have myself a rover 420 turbo diesel now that im more than happy with!

14. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    It might not be too bad, I was on my way to 3 years NCB at the time and my insurance rose by £300 pounds.

Feel for you, some knobhead hit me head on last year, just done a full brake overhaul new everything and new wheels and tyres, about £2k of work and a lot more in elbow grease and skint knuckles from myself, ran the car June then bang in October and you get the same value as the other sheds kicking about the roads!

Should have done the guaranteed value policy but was so busy with stuff at the time, ah hindsight huh!

Liam

15. zelnik

zelnik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea the real extent of the damage other than your description, but these days if a car is worth a grand even if they have to replace a bumper it's going to be a write off.

If it's just a matter of a couple of doors replaced and it's a popular car then I would advice you to look into the possibility of purchasing the car back off the insurance company in view to having it repaired yourself.

Goto a salvage yard or ebay, spend some time trying to find real good examples of parts even try and colour match and get them replaced.

As you said it's going to be hard to replace such a low mileage vehicle.

I did the very same with my old BMW 3 series I had from new, it was wrote off beyond economical repair. I bought it off the insurance co and with the extra payout cash I got it got it repaired perfectly and had some beer money left over!

16. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

gutted for you John, going by the pics you posted before, it was in lovely condition :(

I'd definitely look into a buy-back and then speak to someone like Metro Breakers in Hendon to find the bits.

17. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    Thanks guys. I'm considering going the buy back route but the problem is, this exact model is as rare as rocking horse doo dah. I've only seen 2 others of the same model and version, ever!
    Such a shame because the car was SUCH a great car and it was a real pleasure to drive. You just pointed it in the right direction and it almost drove itself!

18. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    Presumably if you had told the Insurance Company about the wheels / tyres /brakes they would have factored this into the insurance quote and therefore you payout would have at least partly reflected these items (compared with a standard car). Failing that, surely some of the wheels / tyres were salvagable?

Sidicks

19. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    He's a taxi driver for gods sake, ofcourse he's at fault. Its an open and shut case.

20. doopydug

doopydug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    LOL - thats sheer class Paul - hope OP can make light of the situation - it seems such a waste of a good car tho.

21. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    Salvage bods from the insurance company came to take the car away today.... Goodbye baby, you will be missed, and never forgotten!!! RIP.