1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had me to ur list Tim!! Got my panny!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pinda, Mar 15, 2002.

1. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant! Haven't tweaked nowt yet...watching through S-vid..i'm very happy with it....:D :D :D Hoho haha hehe!
    Proud owner of panny!

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think some of the first movies I saw on my projector were Vertical Limit and The 5th Element, check those movies out they look great on the projector :)

Also some other movies to checkout :)...

I denoted films with a * because they are not always the mainstream movies or ones people would usually watch but are very good to excellent!.

Leon* (great film, since it twice and loved it both times!)

Shawshank Redemption* (If you missed this then this is miles better than some of the other prison films..)

The 13th Floor (wow if you liked the Matrix then watch this film, looks great on my 114" screen, a thinking persons Matrix)

Cats & Dogs (many funny moments, the kids will love this film and so will you!)

Rat Race (If you liked the Cannon Ball run series then this is like a modern version of it)

As Good As It Gets* (wow great movie, if you like romance, comedy and a great storyline then get this)

5th Element (best futuristic movie since BladeRunner et al)

Gladiator (good action movie with a story)

The Thing* (really good film on the large screen)

Unbreakable* (great story/acting much like sixth sense)

Sixth Sense (amazing film but Im undecided which I prefer out of
    this and Unbreakable)

Armourgeddon (looks great on the big screen, really nice space action!)

Jurassic Park 1 (good films but showing their age? - storyline/characters need more punch!)

Bridget Jones Diary (good film to watch but I prefer meet the parents/

Meet the parents* (great film with good character actors)

Something About Mary* (great film again, a nice surprise having missed it at the cinema!)

Pitch Black (expected a different kind of film, but enjoyed this a lot as it was different to most sci-fi films)

Star Wars 4/5/6 (the best sci-fi space story ever imho) wait for the DVD release in the next few years though!

Titanic (a simple film you can watch more than once, the feeling of being there is unlike any other film imho - I kind of feel I was taken back in time which rarely happens in a film)

Fast & Furious (not bad film, with a good story/characters for an action type film, if you like cars with a good storyline then watch this!)

True Lies (great film, prefer this to most of the new James Bond movies....this is what the new James Bond should of been like )

5th Element (might get the DVD, after seeing it on Channel 4)

Alien series (great films, I love the bits where you jump out of your seat!)

Valentine (quite a good scary movie, its a bit 'american' but has the odd 'jump out of your seat' moment!) - had to mention this considering todays date

House on Haunted Hill (considering there are no stars it certainly provides scary moments on the big screen, in fact I found this scarier than the dissapointing Jeepers/Creepers..is 'the others' better?)

Halloween & Halloween H20 (good sequel too!)

Terminator series (enough said!, one of the greats)

What Lies Beneath* (I like this movie a lot having missed it at the cinema)

Jaws (classic scary movie!)

Have Fun!
    James

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Wow! thats a big list :eek:

Pinda

Will do, you will find componant out even better :)

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    ....and VGA from a HCPC is even better :D :p :D

How about adding Shrek to the list too...great movie for showing off an LCD projector!

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Mark

Shrek would look good on any PJ ;)

6. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    This is true! But I'm a sucker for dem lurvely colours the Panny can chuck out!

Besides, the only other time I've ever watched it was on a Virgin Atlantic flight...seat-back LCD screens. Hrmmm...5 inches wide if that! Much better at 6ft wide! :D

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep seens Shrek and Bugs life recently, both great films and rather funny in places!.

I forgot to add Deep Blue Sea to the list, in some ways its more fun than Jaws!, well worth watching :)

later
    Steve

8. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys! Thx for the help...I got a few questions to ask after viewing many films..well just clips..but i haven't got the time to write them down..i'll write a list this weekend..
    As a first time buyer..i was well impressed..i couldn't stop grinning when was watching the films! Need to stop so i can concentrate on a the movie :D
    Has anyone ever noticed that there is a couple of inches missing when panning horizontally whilst watching a widescreen film or 16:9 anmorhpic ..??!? Is it true 16:9? I don't understand...you see the full top and bottom but you are missing out on the sides of the image....try this..

1.slap on a true widescreen movie 16:9
    2.select mode 16:9..as u would
    3. select menu-then position
    4.select and press H-posi far left or far right and i swear your missing out on a few inches of film.
    why is this????
    thats my first question! :)

Q2. You really do get to see which discs have been encoded well or bad! Very interesting....

Tim..i'm looking into componet....s-vids o.k what i wanna know what changes will i notice as far as the image is concerned..
    cya

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The image you are loosing is called overscan, you get this on all viewing equipment, projectors and tv's.
    I remember a couple of years ago, I think it was Samsung, they brought out a tv which was in between 4:3 and 16:9, it used up the overscan image that you lost on 4:3 tellies.

The improvements with componant,
    slightly better colours
    more background detail
    and zero chicken wire IMHO.

I am taking my Lecson back tomorrow, I will then be going back top svideo for a while :(

Try the openeing in Shrek, s-video you get slight chicken wire on some bright colours, componant, doesn't do this.