• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Had LG 55EC930V 5 years ago... is 65CX better?

DarrenCarnall

Hey everyone! Five years ago I bought an LG 55 EC930V, and in terms of quality and black levels it was a revelation. But it had horrible pink tints running down the left and right side on any white scenes (eg Hoth in Empire Strikes Back) ...and no matter how many replacement sets I got it was always there (and then this forum helped me realise that it was a known problem with that model).

For the last five years I've had a Samsung 65 HU8200 which is great in bright scenes, but being edge lit any dark scenes (deep space with a starship etc) is almost unwatchable with the light streaks running across left to right.

I'm looking at OLEDs again, and the 65CX is even less now than I paid for the old edge lit Samsung 5 years ago.. so I'm curious, are they free now of the pink tint that the 930V was known for?

(pic attached to show what I mean)

Attachments

• 2015-03-06 19.50.59.jpeg
    2015-03-06 19.50.59.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 26

sebna

Yea. The advancement has been pretty incredible in consistency of the panels and PQ will be also much better.

My C9 65 has quite perfect panel. And it was norm for C9 65 to be like this in general. I would imagine it is same for CX buy probably wait for owners to chime in or for even better response I would post same question in CX thread.

Good luck

DarrenCarnall

Thanks! That's good to hear about the improvements. I'll post in the CX thread and see what they say. I appreciate you getting back to me! :)

dion 6

Thanks! That's good to hear about the improvements. I'll post in the CX thread and see what they say. I appreciate you getting back to me! :)
Hi i came from an LG55 930V and I know what you mean about the pink tint I've had a Panasonic 65inch GZ950 for a year now and it's pure white the new oled tvs are a lot better now

Gremlin56

Standard Member
For another perspective on this, I’ve just moved from a LG55 930V to a 65GX (same panel as the CX). My 930V had a small amount of pink tint at the edges which wasn’t noticeable unless you really looked for it, but my current 65GX’s pink tint is considerably stronger and wider. It’s getting exchanged tomorrow. I hope the replacement is better!
Apart from the tint, the GX has a much better and brighter picture.

DarrenCarnall

Oh, haha. Not what I wanted to hear but important to hear nonetheless! So they still have pink tints then, just maybe way less. Good to hear the picture is better though, hard to imagine because I remember how jaw dropping the 930 was when I first got it!

Thanks for the info! Good to hear another side :)

Gremlin56

Standard Member
Yes, there’s definitely still a pink tint on at least some of these sets which is disappointing considering they’ve had a few years to sort it. Having said that, after the 930V, I’m not sure I could go for a non-OLED.
For reference, here’s what my current GX looks like with a white screen.
Pretty bad hey? :(

IMG_1675.jpg

DarrenCarnall

Oh wow that's as bad if not worse than my 930 five years ago! You think you can ignore it but then you see a film that's set in the snow and just... Urgh.

Sorry yours is that bad! Where did you get it from? Was there any trouble getting them to exchange it?

Gremlin56

Standard Member
Oh wow that's as bad if not worse than my 930 five years ago! You think you can ignore it but then you see a film that's set in the snow and just... Urgh.

Sorry yours is that bad! Where did you get it from? Was there any trouble getting them to exchange it?

Yes, the minor tint on my 930 never really bothered me. I expected things to be better now, but this time I spotted it when I was just watching Bake-off so it must be pretty bad lol.

I got it from John Lewis - they’ve been great about it. I also had some dead pixels on my panel. Two issues with my TV probably made it easier to justify the exchange.
Pretty disappointing though. Other than these issues, I love the TV (speed and software are much improved over the 930). I just hope I can get a set without a really obvious issue.

Gremlin56

Standard Member
Got my new panel yesterday and it is SO much better. Yes, it still has some tint (which is less obvious irl than in the picture), but it‘s an improvement on the tint I had on my 930V, and I can’t see it at all during (even snowy) content. Happy now.

Thanks for crossing your fingers - it worked! :)

IMG_1697.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom