had it with (budget) projectors!

Queens Pawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my 2nd PJ has gone on the blink for the 2nd time this year, which replaced another which died. In warranty (just) so I'm not fuming. Am I just unlucky or is the technology (relatively) young compared to TV and to be expected, in the same way that TVs used to be supplied with fire extinguishers?

I have had 3 projectors over the last 11yrs, i did have 1 fault with 1 of the projectors that was done under warranty so can't really complain.

The projectors were all in the £500-£1300 region, all were sort of entry level 480p/720p/1080p machines.I think projector technology is not as fault free as tv's certainly when you think of how many hours tv's are running compared to projectors.

It does not seem to matter what price you pay for a projector as they can all go faulty, there are lots of £2-£5k projectors that have faults so it is not confined to budget end projectors.

However I would still not baulk at buying a projector as the joy it gives me far outweighs the cost of ownership and as long as you buy with a 3 yr warranty you can upgrade to a new one by the time the warranty runs out.

yes - you are right. A 3 yr warranty and upgrade is a must I think.

Some things that have annoyed me with PJ technology regardless:
general heat + noise.
long start up / cool down times.
rubbish colours/contrast compared to my 4 yr old plasma.
unsharp/soft image due to cheap plastic lenses.
manual focus/zoom.
dlp rainbows.

Of course, the big screen effect is great, but are we getting close enough with 65" TV's in modest settings?

what do you class as budget pj's?
I class entry level models, below £500 (720p) £750 (1080p)

You should try a JVC X30 it will cost around £2k it will be quiet with great contrast/colours with a nice sharp image and no rainbows.

It has powered zoom and focus so the only downer is start up/ cool down (not very long though) and the price.

There is a hybrid LED coming out soon for £1699 (acer K750) that should run cool with almost instant on /off lamp life 20k hours but don't know what the image quality will be like yet.There should be a review out in teh next few weeks so keep an eye out.

I class entry level models, below £500 (720p) £750 (1080p)

okay, was thinking you was going to say the £130 pico ebay jobs ;) most of my pj's have been mid to low end (1k-2k when new) and so far (touch wood) I've not had any major problems. It may come down to how the pj's are used. Mine is only used maybe once or twice a week, so around 3 hours per week on average. Guess if it was used daily things may be different.

okay, was thinking you was going to say the £130 pico ebay jobs ;) most of my pj's have been mid to low end (1k-2k when new) and so far (touch wood) I've not had any major problems. It may come down to how the pj's are used. Mine is only used maybe once or twice a week, so around 3 hours per week on average. Guess if it was used daily things may be different.

Only occasional use but more than 3 hours/week for me. I just think the budget end - from my bitter experience - is junk for the reasons stated.

Once had a pico - even more junk..

You should try a JVC X30 it will cost around £2k it will be quiet with great contrast/colours with a nice sharp image and no rainbows.

It has powered zoom and focus so the only downer is start up/ cool down (not very long though) and the price.

There is a hybrid LED coming out soon for £1699 (acer K750) that should run cool with almost instant on /off lamp life 20k hours but don't know what the image quality will be like yet.There should be a review out in teh next few weeks so keep an eye out.

some good suggestions there - thanks. definately not going to buy a sub £1000 PJ again.

I second that, as a new x30 owner I can honestly say the blacks and contrast are as good as plasma blacks in the right room environment:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom