Hackintosh Mountain Lion

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gurus...

I thought I'd try out ML on my Dell laptop, so I followed this guide to do it and everything seemed to work smoothly.

However...!

I boot the Dell and get the 3 options:

1. Mountain Lion.
  2. System Reserved.
  3. NTFS Partition.

So I select Mountain Lion and then get a white screen with an Apple logo in the middle, but that's all I get!

It just sits there and doesn't do anything else. :(

Anyone here got any suggestions?

Cheers. :)

Anyone here got any suggestions?

Buy a Mac?

I don't know how it goes with a Hackintosh, but you could try a safe boot if possible? Restart holding the Shift key for at least 30 seconds (past where the spinning gear icon appears). Some of the processes that occur during Safe Mode can fix certain problems, so restart again after Safe Boot without holding Shift.

Buy a Mac?

Another one? :smashin:

I've already got a 27" iMac that I got earlier this year (my first Mac), but I thought I'd give Mac O/S a go on my laptop to get more used to it (it currently runs W7).

I don't know how it goes with a Hackintosh, but you could try a safe boot if possible? Restart holding the Shift key for at least 30 seconds (past where the spinning gear icon appears). Some of the processes that occur during Safe Mode can fix certain problems, so restart again after Safe Boot without holding Shift.

I'll give that a try now, thanks. :thumbsup:

That didn't work. :(

I just get the Apple logo, with the little spinning progress wheel underneath and that eventually just stops spinning.

324177ea.jpg

Attachments

• image-3348906286.jpg
    image-3348906286.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 175
  • image-1753193498.jpg
    image-1753193498.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Have you checked all your spec is compatible with OS X? I previously had a Dell 1564 with an i3 and integrated intel HD graphics which wouldn't run Lion. The problem was due to the incompatibility of the graphics card on the CPU, whereas if I had the i5 with integrated graphics or a dedicated graphics card Ati/Nvidia it would have worked.

When you get to select the boot drive highlight you ML partition and then type:
GraphicsEnabler=no -v
and the press enter. You should boot in verbose mode with lots of text. Let us know what happens and if it still hangs what the last few lines of text are

What is the graphics card in the laptop?

What is the exact model & configuration of your Dell laptop? Unless it has very specific hardware (basically the same as Apple used on the Macs) then it's not going to work. You can't just install OS X on a PC with some random hardware configuration.

What is the exact model & configuration of your Dell laptop? Unless it has very specific hardware (basically the same as Apple used on the Macs) then it's not going to work. You can't just install OS X on a PC with some random hardware configuration.

Well mostly these days you can, thats what Chimera is for.

As mentioned above at the bit where you select ML type in GraphicsEnabler=No -v which if it doesn't boot will at least give you the info at where the load is failing.

Try PCIRootUID=0 -v or PCIRootUID=1 -v and see what happens.

I suspected it to be your graphics card, hence the GraphicsEnabler=No (make sure of the caps)

Oh also you got the latest BIOS on the machine?

What ACPI settings have you set in your BIOS? I remember from when I used to hackintosh a few years ago that mine would just stall like your until I set certain options to on.

what model is the laptop and what graphics card does it have?
Has anyone else put OSX on that particular laptop? Some just won't work. You may be better off with Lion which is more stable hackintosh-wise. ML is still very new

What ACPI settings have you set in your BIOS? I remember from when I used to hackintosh a few years ago that mine would just stall like your until I set certain options to on.
Yep. You need to set the hard drive to ACPI mode and the HPET to enabled and 64bit if you have them in your bios.

have you checked that the people running it aren't using the d630 with the nvidia graphics?
I was under the impression that intel graphics only worked properly from sandybridge onwards as that was the first time Apple used intel graphics in their actual macs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom