Hacking Netgear D834GT V1 & Password Recovery

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER

This is mainly intended for people who have left Sky and who want to use their Sky router with their new ISP, however to my knowledge it will work fine even if you stay with Sky - I'm using it with AOL :)

This information is available in the interests of our members. Please do not upgrade your FW unless you fully understand the risks that it could go wrong and render your router useless. Please remember also, that it is against the Terms and Conditions of Sky Broadband. You also run a risk of having your Broadband Connection suspended as well as receiving no Technical Support.

---------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO THOSE OF YOU RUNNING THE NETGEAR D834GT V1 (THE WHITE ROUTER) - FOR THOSE OF YOU USING THE NETGEAR V2 ROUTER WHO WANT YOUR USERNAME/PASSWORD PLEASE SEE THIS LINK HERE (THE BLACK ROUTER)

Netgear standard firmware version V1.02.14 (latest 27/02/08), modified so that it can be installed on a Sky DG834GT router. This will be useful for people who want to "unlock" their router for use with any ISP, but who can't get the Netgear Recovery Utility to work (very common):

http://www.delweddau.com/images/DG83...S_V1.02.14.img.

Why do this? For a number of reasons really:-

• Sky haven't released a firmware update for the V1 router yet, whereas Netgear have and continue to support it so there many bugs have been fixed
  • Sky lock down their Routers so it's not possible to use them with a different ISP, this basically turns your Sky Router back into a Netgear Router letting you use any ISP
  • Additional features - Sky block many useful features such as using Custom DNS Servers, using the Router as a Repeater & WDS etc.
  • Username and Password is shown under ADSL Settings, however I would suggest using a Utility like Mognuts from here (also lets you force noise margin etc) or download a fantastic D834GT monitor utility from here - more info on that available from here.

--------------------------------------------------

Chris.

Wonder how many people have downloaded this now? It's really made a huge difference to the speed and reliability of my connection.

how do Sky lock their routers? the one Sky router i have come across is just a standard Netgear DG834 with login details they provided.

how do Sky lock their routers? the one Sky router i have come across is just a standard Netgear DG834 with login details they provided.

Hi avinitski :)

Sky lock their Routers by disabling the ability to use the Netgear D834GT/D934GT with any other ISP - Also, to my knowledge none of the D834GT's ever showed you the username and password - the settings are pre-written into the Firmware and not visible. Other things Sky do are disable the ability to use Custom DNS Servers, Disable the IM ports, they won't allow you to use the Router as a repeater or edit any MTU settings...The list goes on. Basically all in all about 30 settings are unavailable to edit. It still functions, but in a limited capactiy.

Chris.

Hi,

This link no longer seems to work?

Any idea if it is still possible to hack the Sky router (V1)for use with other ISP's?

Many thanks...

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to hack an ex-SKY / Netgear router a friend has given me. Its the white one so I assume its the D834GT. Tried running the Netgear firmware recovery utility and it can't find the router, (I have also downloaded the firmware itself from the Netgear site) so how would I go about doing this; I'm a bit thick, so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

:lease:

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to hack an ex-SKY / Netgear router a friend has given me. Its the white one so I assume its the D834GT. Tried running the Netgear firmware recovery utility and it can't find the router, (I have also downloaded the firmware itself from the Netgear site) so how would I go about doing this; I'm a bit thick, so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

:lease:

Are you sure that you have got the right recovery utility for your router and not the one for the D834. Someone else had the same thing here Sky V1 blue screen vista! help - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

I am going to try and do this tonight for my sister in law. The only thing I am a bit concerned about is doing it using vista, it can ruin the router apparently. The best thing to do is to run the recovery utility under xp compatability mode, but I think some people have still had problems.

Yeah got it done now - works a treat!!!
I was struggling to get the alternate flashing lights on the router - once I did it worked first time.
Told you I was a bit dim, LOL!!

A big thanks all round guys!!!!!

hi chris,

i was searching the net to hack my sky netgear dg834gt v1 so that i can use it with other isp's and ur post was indeed the most helpful as i could upgrade the firware to the one you posted as the recovery utility upgrade wizard could not help me do so.

Since i am a dentist with little knowledge of these matters,could you pls tell me what the next step would be so that i can use it with my isp.

I will be happy if you could post the reply in detailed steps.( after upgrading my sky netgear router,i did notice that the router upgraded to the newer version,but i dont have a clue what to do after)

thanks
rav

hi chris,
Since i am a dentist with little knowledge of these matters,could you pls tell me what the next step would be so that i can use it with my isp.

well... first of all you need to know the Username and password that the ISP provided you with - or you made yourself.
This would have come with the connection letter/what not.

You need to access the routers configuration through the internet explorer..
itll be something like 192.xxx.xx.xx (I dont use Netgear)

There should be a quick set up - leave everything default apart from username and pass. then go to setup security and channel selection.

Im sure this is the bare skin - but thats the jist of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom