Hacker warning xmas week

King Tones

Distinguished Member
They're not 'Hackers'

I will be spending it all with Family and Friends so Xbox or PS4 won't be loaded up until its all blown over.

Good luck PSN ;)

BloodRose

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
Please don't shoot the messenger :).

FYI I couldn't do anything like that I can only just use all the buttons on a controller :).

k17chy

Distinguished Member
I will be far to pissed to worry about some spotty little ****tard taking down psn and xbl.

Last edited by a moderator:

BloodRose

I wouldn't worry, these idiots are clearly full of sh*t. On their Twitter feed 10 hours ago they claimed to have killed Reddit. Is it down does show some brief downtime on Reddit last night but the downtime lasted just a few hours and there is no evidence that they actually caused it.

They also claim to have taken PSN down already on a couple of occasions this month but I don't recall that ever actually happening.

BloodRose

I will be far to pissed to worry about some spotty little f**ktard taking down psn and xbl.

You have to wonder about people who would rather spend the most important holiday of the year trying to ruin things for a few strangers rather than enjoy themselves with friends or family.

The saddest part is that the FBI, SOCA, the Met and a few others caught quite a few leading members of LizardSquad earlier this year and they were mostly just people in their teens and early twenties.

Why publish that your going to attack ???

A while ago Microsoft teamed up with Sony and Nintendo to help with DDoS on all networks.

They are clearly aware of what is going to happen.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member

A while ago Microsoft teamed up with Sony and Nintendo to help with DDoS on all networks.

I'm just not sure what they can do to stop a DDOS attack though. A large scale one anyway.

BloodRose

LizardSquad threatened to do it throughout December last year but it still brought PSN to it's knees. XBL was obviously hit as well but IIRC it was back to normal in the late hours of Boxing Day.

BloodRose

I'm just not sure what they can do to stop a DDOS attack though. A large scale one anyway.

You can implement improved data centre distribution. There is a reason why Google, Amazon, Facebook and Valve don't get hit like this anywhere nearly as often.

Methods absolutely do exist and Microsoft will already have them in place for more critical business systems, and possibly even XBL now AFAIK. Sony on the other hand have proven themselves to be completely inadequate when it comes to networking and security so I wouldn't expect anything from their side any time soon.

BloodRose

Guessing they all have a lot more money to throw at it then.

If I had to guess then I would say that it is likely that MS at least have already looked into this however IMHO, XBL has been at it's most unreliable state in years over the last couple of months. I'm not sure if that is due to network trouble or the NXOE dashboard (which incidentally I can't stand).

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
There will be a lot of questions thrown at both if they're down for days again (esp Sony).

BloodRose

There will be a lot of questions thrown at both if they're down for days again (esp Sony).

The problem with Sony is that you never know how deep something like this will go. If a bunch of idiotic DDOS kids kill Xbox Live connectivity on Christmas Morning then you can have some confidence that it will just be a temporary inconvenience.

If the same happens with PSN then your name, address, phone number, bank card info, PayPal login and the balance on your PSN account could all be gone before you've even finished cooking the turkey. Sony have proven time and time again that they just cannot be trusted to get this sort of thing right.

King Tones

Distinguished Member

Media Attention I reckon.

It was all over the news last year so some sad loners might want to make the news this Xmas period.

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
Lizard Squad were also pretending to be another group at the same time last year trying to stop it from continuing iirc.

Just a sad idiot setting up a DDOs on on an already struggling service, Pretty much anyone could do it with a bit of basic IT no doubt, but most of us a not sad enough.

BloodRose

Just a sad idiot setting up a DDOs on on an already struggling service.

Exactly, Sony bring it upon themselves and that is why they are constantly a target of these things. You would have thought that they would learned from their mistakes and put some sort of effort into it by now.

mnty

that`s xbox live down right now for a lot of people including myself :(

$weetFA

that`s xbox live down right now for a lot of people including myself :(
It's happened a few times in the last couple of weeks.
Make of that, what you will.! :)

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Sure there's a chance that it just went down for a few hours (I know people like to believe it never ever goes down, but it does now and then) and they're just claiming credit for it.

I hope it isn't them though. If MS can go down easy and they're supposed to have been the better service then God help the PSN.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio