Hack for LG DR4810 DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by Swiss-Steve, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Swiss-Steve

Swiss-Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi to everyone,

See post below on the update
    Post 9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for the hack for my LG DVD Recorder model DR4810.

I have tried the hack for LG DVD players, but it wouldn't work.
    press 0 for region free
    press pause on the remote
    power OFF then Back ON

I have also pulled the drive out and put it into my PC.
    The Model No. of the drive is

LG E DVD R / RW RL-01A

I looked for some firmware to update to region free, but couldn't find the DVD drive listed.

I would like to work out if the drive restricts the region code?
    or it is software restricted within the DVD recorder itself?
    Does anyone know which I should be looking for?

Hope this helps.

Appreciate the help
    Cheers
    Steve

2. sandy

sandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Swiss-Steve

We got one of these yesterday and found this hack on the 'net and it has worked fine - even came up with "Congratulations - would you like to make this zone free"

The hack is:

Power up
    open tray
    press 0 seven times

End of story - works fine!

Hope this helps

Sandy

3. Swiss-Steve

Swiss-Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Sandy,

It works a treat.

Cheers
    Steve

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Swiss-Steve -

What's the LG recorder like then? Give us a review!

5. HK-Steve

HK-Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Arthur,

Sorry for the slow response, Been very busy building my Hushbox, rebuilding my HTPC and MP3 PC.
    3 Projects that have taken up most of my time over the last week.

The LG recorder is very good. It has been a reliable performer and I haven't had any worries.
    No faulty disks or bad recordings, after about 80-90 DVD-R disks, plus about 5 DVD-RW disks per week. Recording Sky Satelite programms and deleting, re-recording.

Easy to use.

What else needs to be said.

Cheers
    Steve

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

A. Dork

7. inabsentia

inabsentia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, heres a differing view..I'm afraid it's a bit of a pig..and I'm a big fan of LG products too (Which is why I bought it!!)

The 4 hour maximum time recording is a bit of a downer..especially if you are away for extended periods and rely on timer recordings.

The big problem is recording onto re-writables...I tend to use it to record off video or live TV, then take it onto my PC to edit, author and burn onto a write once disc..VR mode is next to useless for doing this..lip synch problems galore..If you record a couple or more different things onto a disc then transfer it onto your PC, it's guaranteed to be out of synch. Using the 'Video' mode gets around this, but I'm finding that I'm getting halfway through a discs capacity and the recorder switches off and I get a messages saying 'disc error, trying to recover'. This happens afer about 37 minutes in HQ mode, around 1hr 10 mins in SQ mode and 2hr 10 in LQ mode..

This is, of course, when I can get it to recognise a re-writable disc..pop a fresh one in and it will automaticlly format the disc-but in VR mode, if you want to use Video mode, you've got to let it go through the process then re-format again. Most times, it will go through 3 minutes of 'formatting' 3 minutes of 'thinking about it' then it tells me it can't recognise the disc...I've tried half a dozn different brands and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I've had no problems at all with my +R machine, no formatting re-writables, 6 hours recording time, no problems with my PC recognising discs it burns (another problem with the LG-and yes-I have finalised them first). Sorry LG you've got a right lemon on your hands here, and it's going back to Comet tomorrow....

8. itsme

itsme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of putting it in zone free, can I specify a zone whenever I want?

thanks for your answer.

9. Swiss-Steve

Swiss-Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK, here is update,

I have returned my unit, failed to read RW discs.

Then the second unit did the same.Hmmmmmmmm

I spoke too soon by the look of it.

Anyway I now have the LG RH4810V which has a 80Gb hard drive.

This unit is a lot better than the unit DR4810.

I didn't have any lip-sync issues with any of the 2 'DR' units or the New 'RH' one.
    Yes 4hrs is not long enough, but that is not a problem now with the hard drive.

Lets see how I go, will report back once I have given it a good thrashing for a couple of weeks.
    Cheers
    Steve

10. buzzy

buzzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Swiss-Stevie,

Could you make your new unit LG RH4810V code free ?
    There is a very good offer now from a local dealer and I need to know before investing the money...

What about overall picture quality of recordings ?

All Best,

11. Caspy

Caspy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to everybody and especially to inabsentia

Thanks for the comment you posted about the LG 4810. :) I own a model myself and all I have had so far was: problems, problems, problems. :mad: I had to run back to the store three times, LG has put a software-update on the recorder to fix the probem (after admitting a mistake concerning the printinf device). In addition, I can now record 6 hours. Theoretically, the recorder would now be absolutely perfect. Theoretically. Practically, every second DVD-R is full or errors and impossible to watch, sometimes, the player itself doesn't even regocnize the DVDs after burning. This also happened with an empty LG DVD-R! :eek:

LG is gonna regret their bare existence :devil: :lesson: :lesson: :lesson:

You mentioned having had no problems with your DVD+ formats. I was wondering, if you or anybody know DVD- to be more problematic. The thing is: Where I live, DVD- is much cheaper than DVD+, so I tend to get a recorder for DVD-. I will most likely get the money back for my LG and try to purchase a Panasonic. Have you or anybody of this forum any experience with Panasonic, by chance?

Thanks,
    Caspy

12. inabsentia

inabsentia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't gp with the PAnasonic route because of the DVD-RAM format...ok, it's got thr advantage of longer recording times and even timeshifting, but it's lack of compatibility with other machines (it doesn't write to DVD-RW meadia, only DVD-RAM or DVD-R) took me away from it.

After a long chat with some bod from LG's customer service technical dept, I've settled in with the LG a fair bit now...I've NEVER had a coaster on a -R disc, and that includes cheap 25p discs through to branded TDK's . I've settled on TDK Re-Writables (One of only two brands LG will say is is compatible). and steer clear of the ,frankly, useless DVD-VR mode. I'm impressed with the quality, especially in LQ mode where it still records at full resolution.

Caspy, you say you got a software update and it now burns 6 hours?? Any idea if this is an official LG release?

13. Swiss-Steve

Swiss-Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey, Buzzy, Yes I can make the LG RH4810V code free.

I have had ZERO problems with this unit.
    I have pretty much been using the Hard Drive for all recording,
    but have burnt RW disks for friends with no problems.

The picture quality is very good, no issue with quality of recordings at all.

Cheers
    Steve

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,666
    Thanks, Sandy - hack added to our database.

15. myst1

myst1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience with this unit is mixed. I only used the HD and DVD-R (no +R which are way more expensive).

The good
    - Great picture quality (SQ= standard mode is way enough)
    - it recognized the aerial tv program names
    - Possibility to record and watch something pre-recorded at the same time (no dual tv tuner though)
    - Simple to use
    - Easy to make region free (using the trick shown before)

The limitations:
    - Editing is so simple, they did not allow to jump using marks.
    - it DOES NOT copy the recording names from the HD to the DVD (which is really annoying, as it takes time to do it).
    - Copying a long single file on the HD results in several 90 min. long files on the HD, as if it was different programs (Maybe a file size limitation, but commercial CD do not show it).
    - No facility to delete advertisement from recorded programs.
    - NO (offline) fast copy from HD to DVD-R. Everything is shown on the TV and the program is probable re-compressed at that time.
    - Copy protection well enabled, from commercial DVD or from an external VHS hooked by cable (Okay, hopefully not always used).
    - Cannot copy NTSC DVD to the HD.

The bad:
    - Sometimes LOSS of synchronisation when copying from HD to DVD-R
    - Bi lingual programs are copied ok to either HD or DVD-R directly, but not from HD to DVD-R where it was simply copied as stereo.
    - occasional freezes (press the ON button for a few seconds to stop it) when displaying the list.
    - LOSS of all aerial programs for no reason (still in memory, but acts as if the cable was disconnected). The first time it happened, I was ready to ship the unit back and it came back, a few days later. Now it did it again - Maybe a electronic problem. I'll have the unit repaired and hope they have correct firmware to fix

Besides the synch problems and loss of aerial programs, all other problems are not too bad... Still, you have to know about it...

16. Savary

Savary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a question: How can I burn a commercial DVD on my HD (RH4810V) and then from the HD to a DVD? Somebody told me that there is existing a decoder box? Where can I buy such a box?

Thanks a lot for your answer...

Savary from Switzerland :lease:

17. Alx

Alx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have an idea what to do to copy a DVD with the LG RH4810V ?
    Or if it is possible at least ?

I always get the error: Record-blocking signals are detected

Does it also give a hack to shut off this copy protection ?
    (Please don't say its illegal, because in switzerland, its legal to copy his own dvd's, and certainly I would never copy any foreign dvd. :nono: )

And by the way, the hack for code free worked perfectly also at my recorder.

Thanks for any hint.

Alex

18. Doorz

Doorz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you cannot simply connect this recorder with another DVD player and copy, this is resticted, as indicated in the english instruction manual page 7, and like all consumer DVD recorders on the market they detect either the CCS or Macrovision signal and stop recording. This protection is hardware-based (inside a chip) and not flashable. What you can try, however, is to copy a DIVX, that works on my model.If you have a 'Video signal refresher', which replaces the macrovision signal with a cleaned signal you could try this. The easiest way to make a 1:1 Copy is to do this via PC using DVD shrink (oops, this is illegal, even in Switzerland)

19. Asko

Asko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I delete parts of a title on HDD, it's still one title.
    When I copy that title to DVD, there is many differet titles. Why?
    I understand if there will be one title which have many chapters, but I don't understand why there is many differet titles on DVD.
    On DVD I can not combine titles like I can on HDD.

- Asko

20. hishhdhdfithdu

hishhdhdfithdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    The aforementioned hack works on the 4820 (I have just used it). Strange spelling of 'Congratulations' appears though...CongratuRations!
    Ta very much! Scott.