H80 installation help.

mozza54

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this is ok but could do with some reassurance :D

I picked up an H80 to use on an i7-950 which using the old cooler ran at about 40ish degrees. I originally installed the h80 with the tubes on the bottom and was it ran hotter. I pulled the cooler out and the paste seemed to be melting on one side (so Im assuming It was too tight on one side)

Ive rotated the cpu block and re seated it and im getting temps as per the screenshot.. do these look ok as I was expecting it to maybe go a bit lower or is it worth pulling it back out again?

Attachments

• WP_20140531_11_54_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140531_11_54_20_Pro.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 88
  • WP_20140531_11_54_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140531_11_54_28_Pro.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 82
  • WP_20140531_12_07_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140531_12_07_13_Pro.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 81
  • WP_20140531_09_12_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140531_09_12_24_Pro.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 85
Im pretty sure this is ok but could do with some reassurance :D

I picked up an H80 to use on an i7-950 which using the old cooler ran at about 40ish degrees. I originally installed the h80 with the tubes on the bottom and was it ran hotter. I pulled the cooler out and the paste seemed to be melting on one side (so Im assuming It was too tight on one side)

Ive rotated the cpu block and re seated it and im getting temps as per the screenshot.. do these look ok as I was expecting it to maybe go a bit lower or is it worth pulling it back out again?

looks right to me

thanks

Im gonna try some games on it in a bit and see how it goes. What kind of temps should it go to assuming its working ok?

Also can these take time to bed in or are the temps Im getting now likely to stay

I wouldn't have thought it mattered which way round it is. You can even experiment with the orientation of the fans. I think they recommend that you have them sucking air in, but you don't have too.

Personally, I have my Antec CPU liquid cooler blowing out, as there's a 14cm case fan blowing air in from above the motherboard.

I've just bought a Corsair H55 liquid cooler to use on my graphics card. I'm waiting for the
NZXT G10 GPU Adapter to be delivered soon.

Yeah it was weird with the heating, I saw someone mention to rotate it and it seemed to work out be an amazing coincidence.

This is the first time iv installed one of these myself. It was a lot more fiddly than I expected and I don't like the tubes as they aren't very bendy

I have a corsair h100 (2 fans instead of 1) and my temps when gaming are around 44, max i have ever seen are 50-52, so yours looks about right. I have my fans set to suck air from outside into the case over the radiator.

The H80 itself is bringing air in and the top fans are pushing it back out which I might have to have a look at. I did end up re seating it just in case. This time I laid the case down and found that the tubes were pushing down on the other side so it may have been slightly off (very slightly though) The paste covered the whole CPU so it was ok.

Currently sitting at under 30 degrees with general use.

Ive never used these or know much about them but is it not possible (going by first image) to have rad outside case using screws from the right fan to hold it?
fan>rad>case metal>fan

You could do fan>case metal> rad and so on but not how you suggest as the radiator has 2 tubes attached to it that you cant unplug.

You could do fan>case metal> rad and so on but not how you suggest as the radiator has 2 tubes attached to it that you cant unplug.

ah yeah true doh :blush: Temps seem fine anyway. how do they get with Intel burn test or similar?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom