1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H79

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Installed the first one today. Very little time to say anything except.........
    These things are GREAT.

My client had a loaner pj from me. It was a very highly rated HD2+ chipped unit. Quite frankly the H79 was a different league, imho....and was substantially cheaper. This was attached to a Lumagen scaler so I cannot comment on what it's like as a stand alone unit.

When I'm back from USA I am to ISF this thing. I'll try to take some measurements to post then.

Bye,

G

2. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Gordon,

When you are at Cedia is there any chance you could have a look at a H79 and judge if there is a noticable difference in performance between the US H79 and the UK H79. I know there could many factors at play ie source and calibration, however something that reflects the hand picked components such as the Lens might be obvious.

Thanks Foghorn

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    'll try. I had limited time viewing the H79 here. I cna say it is designated H79E presume E is for Europe. I did a cal on an H78DC3 a week or so ago for a forum member. That was with a Lumagen HDP as well. This H79 looked surpisingly better but it was in a dark basement with DARK walls rather than a light coloured living room. I know that things like that make a HUGE impact on performance. Much biger than most folk would imagine.

I'll have alook out....of course you are presuming that the USA will not have an H80 at CEDIA...HAHAHAHA

4. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  5. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I expect Optoma will annouce details of it's new H80 on Friday. Saturday it will be the H81 and by the end of CEDIA on the Sunday the H82. (Sorry couldn't resist continuing that pun)

Looking foward to hearing of your impressions of CEDIA Gordon. Have a good trip.

Zag

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Don't forget the H81A for the UK. ;)

Looking forward to your review Gordon, especially if you can supply graphs etc. Lumens and contrast would be great as well if you get the time.

Cheers.

Gary.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Just before I go out the door....I see rainbows alot. I never noticed them once on this set up. I also get a headache when watching DLP for a long period. I was in front of this one for a good two to three hours working on Prontos and PC networking as well as initial config and set up and I left the house with no headache at all.....I also found the dither levels extremely low....much lower than any other single chip I've worked with.

Gordon

8. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What type of screen (make/gain) do you all use with a H78/79?

Cheers
    Rob

9. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Hi Gordon

Hope you're well.

I have an HD2+ Yamaha DPX1100 and was thinking of swapping over to the H79.

I note you make a comparison early in the thread with an HD2+ chipped machine. Perhaps you can't say what it was, but would I likely see any improvement ?

I note from Greg Rogers reviews, the H79 has a lower on off CR than my 1100, although this does seem odd.

Tom.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    I don;t want to say what the other unit was. I like your PJ though. It's quite a rare beast in UK but it has some good adjustment features. I'm sure that when I did the cals of the two Yams I've done I saw rainbows and got fatigued. End result was nice image though. I think this would be a hard one. You'd need to view for yourself in your environment I think.

Incidentally, Nice room!

Gordon

11. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Thanks Gordon.
    It's hard to get a dem of the H79 as no one I know locally carries the brand.
    I was surprised with the WSR measurements that measured the H79 with a DC3 chip having a lower ON-OFF CR than the DPX1100 with an older HD2+ chip.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Tom if you can wait till I'm back in UK I might be able to sort something for you. I need to be up your way sometime in Sept I think

Gordon

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Hi Tom,

The Yam can achieve higher CR but at the expense of lumens - the H79 doesn't have an iris arrangement like the Yam (it does appear to have a fixed iris thouigh which is visible if you look into the lens), but if you did place an iris inside the lens as well as one before it, you could achieve a much higher CR. Darinp2 over on avs has achieved a CR of 7000:1 to 8500:1 on his H79, though that does contain some other mods which help remove unwanted stray light when the DMD is in the flat state IIRC, and needs a high gain screen. In other words, it's all in the implementation and down to what the manufacturer thinks the customers may want - and brightness is one of those considerations in the case of the H79.

I personally feel that a variable iris can give all customers the choice - high brightnes or high CR from the same machine, plus the option of some day-time viewing by having the iris open for sports etc or with some lights on, and then high CR for movies in a dark room for better image quality.

Gary.

14. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No headaches/eyestrain on the H79! Is this is the DLP olive branch I've been waiting for? Looks like I might have to demo one (but after CEDIA!).

Squibbly

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I'd agree with that, these things now appear to be the big thing on the LCD front, do you know why they are not used in DLP i.e is the DLP lens structure and light path more complicated than LCD, or are they already being used in DLP?

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    God, I just read what you quoted and the typos are appalling!

The optical path is apparently more complex on DLPs, but I don't know why a dynamic iris hasn't been introduced on a DLP yet, but there must be reasons for it. There are a few with manual iris's that do the job, and I would have thought that making the same iris dynamic would be a relatively simple thing to achieve. I guess there must be other factors to take into account though - I think the Sony HS50 adjusts the gamma as it's iris shuts down (to brighten up the scene) for example.

Gary.

17. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Hi Gary

I am a little surprised that even with the iris on my 1100, WSR measured the CR of the 1100 at 3590:1 and the H79 at 2900:1

I would have thought the DC3 equipped machine would have been much stronger CR wise.

18. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Hi Tom,

It's quite a difference I know, but if done well, an iris can make a big difference in CR over a machine without one. Imagine the 1100 with DC3 and an iris - it might be nearer to 4000:1. :) The H79 at D65 has around 500:1 more CR than the H77 at D65 so if that's all down to the chip it's quite a significant improvement.

As I mentioned before, it's all in the application and how it can be made to effect light spill through the lens in the off state without equally effecting the light output in the on state, so that black gets significantly dimmer than white does. If you reduce the output by 50% on both black and white, you just reduce the overall light output and don't effect the contrast at all (1000 at white divided by 10 at black gives 100:1, reduce both by 50% and 500 at white and 5 at black still gives 100:1). If you can effect the black output more by preventing the internally reflecting light at black from coming out of the lens then you can make significant improvements in CR.

Gary.

19. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Gordon,

Couple of questions:-

Did you get a chance to see a H79 when you were in the States?

When are you going to get another look at a Euro H79, i would be interested in a more detailed appraisal?

Foghorn