• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

H79 - Shutting down after several minutes?

shuurajou

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have a H79 which has a lamp with 1166 hours on it. For some reason, after say 10 minutes or so, I loose the picture and get the red lamp light and blue power button flashing. The thing is, when the projector is running, the picture's perfect.

It seems sometimes if I remove the power (post cool-down), the projector won't power up for some time after plugging. If I give it a few minutes though it'll face the music and power up. Perhaps a dud kettle plug? Could this explain it?

What do you think this could be? I have no confidence optoma will do anything useful if I send it to them.

luipic

Standard Member
It's the lamp: same behavior of my first lamp.
The picture was ok, but after few miutes the projector switch off.
I had to change the lamp.
Sorry
Luigi

shuurajou

Standard Member
Hmmm... well I'll see if I can get my lamp refurbed. No point paying £300 for a 3000hr lamp that lasts 1000 hours. If I wanted a 1000 hour lamp I'd pay £100 :mad:.

shuurajou

Standard Member
Was running for 5 hours (and I'm sure as long as I'd like it) a few nights ago, now it's going out in minutes again... no idea what the problem could be. Do you guy still think lamp? :thumbsdow

stubie_do

There is a foam filter on the underside, if its ceiling mounted you will need to take the projector mount base plate off. Take the filter out and blow any dust off.

Then see if it shuts off.

shuurajou

Standard Member
Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions, unfortunately nothing revived it so I'm guessing it's the lamp.

I'm quite tired with the unpredictable/unreliable nature of lamps, so I've decided I'll put my H79 out to pasture, and fitted a Pioneer PDP-LX5090 yesterday.

Will send my H79 off to Optoma to get it checked over just to be sure it is the lamp, and if it gets a clean bill of health, I'll be selling it :(.

Jeffers01

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions, unfortunately nothing revived it so I'm guessing it's the lamp.

I'm quite tired with the unpredictable/unreliable nature of lamps, so I've decided I'll put my H79 out to pasture, and fitted a Pioneer PDP-LX5090 yesterday.

Will send my H79 off to Optoma to get it checked over just to be sure it is the lamp, and if it gets a clean bill of health, I'll be selling it :(.

Hi

This forum is full of stories of appalling lamp life for the Optomas. Over on AVS forums there are threads from people who have fitted computer fans to the exhaust vent to cool the lamp more efficiently to extend lamp life. Some say it has had a positive effect, some say not. There is a theory that the quietness of the H79 is at the expense of overheating.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom