1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h57 Input Via VGA Not As Sharp As S-Video

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rick1486, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gang.

Got my new Themescene H57 set up the other day and ran SKY+ via s-video. What an improvement over the old Sony HS10!
    Then I spoke with the rep. from Optoma who suggested I use the included Scart/RGB adaptor and a vga cable to input into the pj as he said it would be a better quality (basically almost component quality) picture.
    Now what I've noticed is that it does seem brighter as an image, but to me it also seems a bit blurred/ghosty (No. It is focused properly before you ask lol).
    Also we watched a box office film last night on Sky - "Birth" and the images looked a bit grainy to me - is this symptomatic of dlp's, was it just the film itself (as in parts of the film it was razor sharp), or is there an adjustment/setting issue somewhere here?
    I purchased a Lindy Premium Gold S-VGA cable (5mtr length) so it's not down to a crappy cable I wouldn't have thought, and I set SKY+ to output RGB not PAL.
    Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Rick

2. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    To be honest the picture quality from Sky of late leaves a lot to be desired, and I would suggest that this is the cause of your problems. Far too many channels multiplexed into the same bandwidth, and its only going to get worse. Hopefully High Def will address some of these problems. I wont even use Sky on my projector anymore because of the poor bit rates etc.

3. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I have to agree with you Rick, I use S-video from my Sky+ to my lowly H30 and it also looks better than RGB over a VGA cable. Maybe it's to do with a better design to the output stage in the box?

I find Sky+ via S-video very watchable on the majority of channels.

Cheers

4. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I'd known this mate before I just spent another £30 odd quid for a cable lol.
    Perhaps there's a techie here somewhere who can give us a workaround if there is one.

Rick

5. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, I think Zippycat's on the right track, here. The S-Video signal will suffer from a relatively low bandwidth - far, far worse than RGB / Component, and as such you're going to lose fidelity of the video signal - most likely seen as a smoothing of the picture. With a digital source with a lossy compression method (as with Sky) you're going to end up with digital artifacts - which is probably what you're seeing with the Scart cable, which the S-Video source blends into the background.

Have you tried using a DVD as video source? - not perfect, but better than sky, to see if the Scart works "better" on that?, that'd answer the question as to whether the issue is to do with the cables or the video source.

(One other possibility - mismatched impedances between PJ, cable, and Sky+, but that's unlikely)

Mike

6. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers boys - so Mike are you suggesting using the same rgb scart converter plugged into the scart on the dvd player using the same vga connection to compare the signal?
    Also, do you think it may make a difference if I plug the s-video cable back into the back of the Sky+?

Cheers
    Rick