1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H57/2910 Connection Hell

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by catesby, Mar 26, 2005.

1. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my H57 and 2910 home this afternoon and have spent a hellish 3 hours trying to get them going. Can anyone give me a clue where I'm going wrong?

I started out connecting the DVI lead I bought from the 2910 to the projector. Nothing happened. The H57 just kept cycling through the sources but couldn't seem to locate the DVD - inspite of having selected the DVI output on the player itself/and having turned the player on after the projector. This was doubley frustrating given that there was a perfect DVD picture being transmitted to my TV via the SCART cable, so the player is working.

Then I connected my old video by an S-video lead to the back of the projector - everything was fine and dandy. Video on the big screen.

So, I concluded that perhaps the DVI lead was a duffer. I then connected the 2910 to the projector with 3 component leads, turned off the DVI output and sat back to enjoy my evening. Still nothing, or rather the projector selected component video, flashed up 576i on the screen and then froze into black - no sign of an image at all.

Can anyone cast any light on this maddening situation? Am I missing out something obvious? I can't believe that there's a problem with all the leads - could it be the projector?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    catesby

Try a cable from the Y Output of the DVD player to the Composite Input on your H57 - if the YUV output on the DVD player is functioning you should get a B&W image.

With the DVI connection its important that you have the DVD player On and set to output DVI before you fire up the Projector - especially so when you first try to make a connection; the DVD-2910 can take a few times to get synced up with pretty much any brand of projector you care to attach it to.

Best regards

Joe

3. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Have just tried both ideas. To no avail I'm afraid - the projector just keeps searching for a source. There is no sign of a black and white image.

Does this mean it's the projector or the DVD that's got difficulties?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello catesby

Its looking more likely a DVD player Set-up, Firmware or Hardware fault.

Has the DVD player been flashed with an MR upgrade and if yes did your dealer test it before they handed it over to you? - I've seen a few of these players fall over once they have had the Firmware updated.

I take it you can get Composite and RGB (via the supplied adapter) from the DVD player into the Projector!

Take ten and carefully go through the Denon set up again and ensure its properly configured for YUV Output - try YUV before you venture into DVI territory!

Joe

5. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

The answer is that they did do an MR upgrade and no, I don't know whether they checked it (Creative Audio in Shrewsbury). This could be the cause of the problem by the sounds of it.

I have now got component video connections working with the projector from my old Toshiba DVD player. Unfortunately when I swap these to the Denon, the projector just keeps searching and can't find the source. I've got it set to progressive, switched the DVI off and tried various combinations of switching things on and off first. I can't find anything to switch to YUV on the Denon (assume it's automatic) - even after having a quiet sit down!

Does it look curtains for the Denon?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello catesby

Mush as I like what the DVD-2910 does with video images it can be a pain in the backside - I tend to play safe and mostly supply Pioneer and Arcam as we don't get so many problems!

It may be worth a post on the DVD Player Forum and ask if any DVD-2910 owners have any tricks/suggestions - otherwise its back to your Dealer and ask them to confirm its working or not.

Possibly someone on the DVD Forum will have a newer MR Firmware update you can download and burn to CD - though it may be better leaving the player 'as is' and letting your dealer sort out the problem.

Enjoy the Toshiba for now :)

Best regards

Joe

7. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe
    Thanks for all the help. Will let you know what happens.
    Catesby

8. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a similar problem with my Pioneer 656 DVD player.

When I used component it just wouldn't work on my Benq 5120.

I checked the DVD player settings via the TV and changed the video output (was on RGB) to Video.

Bingo - image came through immediately.

No idea why this was necessary - would have assumed that the component connection would always be a 'component' signal but I say that with no understanding of how the component output works.

I take it from this that the DVD player was outputting an RGB signal which may not be compatible with the component connection (or something like that at least!).