1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H56, lovely!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tonmeistermat, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well my H56 arrived yesterday, and after much huming and hawing, and debates on these very forums, I can say that so far I'm a happy man!

Am planning some serious movie watching over the coming weeks, but already I'm not looking out for technical stuff, and I'm enjoying watching the film... the trials and tribulations of deciding seem like an age ago, even though it was only last week!

So I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's offered help and advice... The h56 may not be everyone's favourite projector, but it is mine, and I couldn't have made such an informed decision without you lot.

Mat

2. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thinking about this one my self mate any pics at all?

3. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got a couple, but still in the camera. Will take some more, and try and up load them into this thread...

Mat

4. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks mate that would be good

5. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Tonmeistermat,

Sounds like you give the H56 a :smashin:.

What other projector brands did you compare the H56 against as there are quite a few to choose from here in the UK and all a different price points?

Let us know how you get on over the next couple of weeks as I'm quite sure other members would be interested to read your constuctive comments. :D

I'm assuming you will be viewing with the 16:9 lens mask and without.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    This pj compared very favourably with the NEC HT1000 when there was a shoot-out between them over on avsforum some months ago. For the money, it represents excellent value IMHO. IIRC, it was an Andrea Manuti driven shoot-out, and he's quite proffessional in his comments - he even uses Colorfacts to calibrate the projectors in order for them to show at their best. I believe the NEC had the edge, but when you consider the price difference now (back then it was more expensive), is the NEC worth the extra?

I'd say yes obviously, because I have one, but the H56 wasn't available when I bought my HT1000 18months ago. :)

Gary.

7. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

I checked a couple of other pjs... even though my limit was £1500 I looked at the sharp 200, and I also looked at the H30. The most detailed tests I did where between the 56 and the 30 (see the other thread). I took some close up pictures of the 30/56 stuff, and if they've come out I'll put them up!

On the subject of the lense mask, I tried to put it on last night, and it seemed to do nothing but blur the top half of the 4:3 picture, and nothing at the bottom... Stuart, can you tell me how to use it properly?

On a different note, I've got a high up shelf which the projector sits on, but of course it has to be upside down... can anyone tell me where I can get some bolts for the bottom ceiling mount system, as I'd like to make a small frame to hang the pj from rather than leave it resting on its top...

Mat

8. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lets see if this works...

Attached Files:

9. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The lens mask is designed for when you are viewing a 16:9 source, it sounds to me that you are view a 4:3 image and then putting the 16:9 lens mask on?

The idea behind the mask is to darken down the pixels at the top and bottom, commonly known as "overspill". By using the 16:9 mask you should see a slight improvement in black levels, from 2000:1 to around 2500:1 (IMHO).

The angle of throw on the H56 was designed so that it throws the image slightly up when in desktop model (coffee table in the HC world). If you have mounted your H56 on a shelf high up, then no doubt the image was projecting high on the wall and possible just touching the ceiling. Your solution was to turn the projector upside-down on the shelf, right? I have seen this done in the past. I'm not sure what mount you are using, if its one of ours then you should have got the screws, unicol and/or LMP-PC are always updated as to our specs. Our angle of throw offset is to allow for approximately a 40cm black drop on the screen when the projector is ceiling mounted.

Yes you could make a cradle to hold the projector or you could use a close couple mount (5/6 inch drop) on the underside of the shelf, this is done quite a lot.

Hope this helps.

10. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm you have to make them very small to fit on the website... I've put them on our web gallery much larger, which can be found at:

http://81.6.236.223/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=homecinema

These pics are two test pics on freeze frame when we had the 56 some weeks ago on test. It may seem rather odd that the image is above the sofa, but that's because we wanted to see the image framed by something so we could get a feel of the size...

11. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Stuart...

You're right... I was using the lense mask with the pj set to 4:3. I assumed that it would filter off the top and bottom 'letterbox' black strips on a 1:1.85 picture displayed on 4:3. Your description makes things clearer.

I've actually not got any kind of mount and was planning on trying to construct one... but the close couple mount sounds like it might answer my problem! Do Optoma do one, and if not can you recommend where I might be able to get hold of one for the H56?

Ta!!!

12. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No we don't do close couple mounts (yet). Try Andy at LMP-PC I think they advertise on the forums somewhere.

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    How close do you need to get the pj to the ceiling? I've a couple of mounts on my home page that might work:

http://www.g-lightfoot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ht1000.html

but I've also made one that will get the pj about an inch from the ceiling or less. I'll try to get the info on the site sometime soon, but here's a link to the pics on another part of the forum:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...hread.php?t=136884&page=1&pp=15&highlight=6mm

If you can get the adjusting screws straight into the ceiling by using studs, then you can get the pj even closer. You can probably use some rawlbolts or similar for that. The rear holes are elongated to allow for sideways adjustment.

Gary.

14. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    THanks for the tips Gary, but I'm actually after making somthing that will sit on the shelf holding the projector straight. Our problem is that we have a sloping ceiling, so mounting on it is going to be very tricky, and it's not our place so I don't want to go bashing holes in the ceiling to find the joists.... I'm kinda after something like this....

---xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ---xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ---xx------x----------------------x-------xx
    ---xx----xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx----xx
    ---xx-------------------------------------xx
    ---xx-------------------------------------xx
    --xxx------------------------------------xxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with the box in the middle being the upside down projector. It's just to stop it sitting upsidedown on its top, and to get it as square as possible! BTW this is a front view, looking into the lense...

Mat

15. gizzborn

gizzborn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to have got a h56a and think it is a great projector . But can any body help it says in the manual about a signal menu but when i look it is not there.i am useing component cable to amp which is Yamahe dsp-750 se which is great help!!!. I to have mine on a shelf made a hole in the wall !!!!! got a under standing partner

Attached Files:

16. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would have at a guess that you are running an interlaced signal. If you can run progressive then you will see the signal frequency adjustment menu.

17. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think Stuart is on the correct lines. That option is only available with certain inputs I think...

18. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've put up some pictures that compare the resolution of the H30 and the H56 on my website gallery....

http://81.6.236.223/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=homecinema

You should click on the thumnail and then on the image itself to see it full size. If you view them in the scaled down to fit in the gallery viewer it defeats the purpose! Unfortunately my camera ran out of battery before I could get an 'H56 close' to match the 'H30 close' image, but you can clearly see the difference on the overlayed close image.

Will be putting some more up when I get a chance!

Mat

19. gizzborn

gizzborn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. so are you saying i need a new dvd player some think like pioneer dv-575a or the samsung hd 935 which as dvi d connection at the mo i have toshiba 220e!!!!!!!
    And wot about playstation and sky+ box how do you get the best picture at the mo they all go to amp and then to h56 .
    cheers

20. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Watched Moulin Rouge last night as our first proper home cinema movie... Fabulous... Really enjoyed the movie, and am I'm now thinking about getting an image callibration DVD to fine tune it...

21. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Avai (might still be available in the Powerbuy Forum ?) is an excellent aid to getting the best from your system................. was lucky enough to get mine as a pressie from a friend :smashin:

Sean