1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H56 Ceiling Mount

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shaunr, Jun 27, 2004.

1. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

This weekend i bought a Themescene H56 (thanks Postie67). Now i need to ceiling mount and although i've got the Optoma mount that came with it i'm not sure of the best way to go about the whole thing or even if i should use this one.

My house has quite low ceilings (approx 7' 7") and i've seen a number of the diy ceiling mounts people have made but my question is do i just screw these directly into the ceiling plasterboard or do i need to locate a joist (also what's the easiest way of doing this without taking up the bedroom carpet)?

The Optoma mount seems massive and looks like it would need to be attached to a floor board and the tube passed through the ceiling??

Apologies for the newbie questions but it's got me stumped..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shaun

PS The H56 weighs 2.9kgs

2. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    there are a couple ways round this, either (the long way) cut down the size of the poles, or (the easier way) disconnect the poles from the rest and screw that direct into a joist, I have done this a couple of times before with no problems

3. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Neil, i think that's what the previous person who used the mount did. He appears to of just used the flexible joint part (would this spread the load enough?).

Any tips on locating a joist without lifting carpet/ floorboards upstairs?

Cheers,

Shaun

4. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    its not heavy enough to cause problems as long as you use long screws, you could try tapping the ceiling until you hear the solid part, not ideal though and you will have to be pretty spot on, you could also look at attaching the flexible part to a large piece of wood and then attach that using plaster board raw plugs, i've done that before as well

5. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok Neil thanks. I suppose i could buy one of those stud / joist finder things also. Given my ceiling height, do you think the distance from the ceiling to the centre of the lens will be enough when using those parts of the supplied mount?

Cheers again,

Shaun

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    In my experience the joist finders are pretty difficult to use accurately - some are totally useless :(

Your best bet is to accept that you will make a (small) mess of the ceiling and use your ears and a drill. The joists will be running at right angles to the floorboards in the room above, usually around a foot apart.

First use your knuckle to sound along the ceiling around the right point to mount your PJ. You should hear the tone change over around a foot with most giving a hollow knock and the joist a slightly more solid feel.
    Mark roughly where the joist is and then use a small wood drill bit (about 3mm) and drill test holes in a straight line around the mark.
    If the drill goes in, putting out plaster dust and then 'pops' you're between the joists. If you get dust and then sawdust and the drill feels like it's still biting after a couple of centimeters, that's the joist. After a few of small holes (that the PJ should cover) you should have located the middle of the joist.
    If you need to hang the PJ between the joists you may want to fix a board or batten between the nearest 2 joists and then screw into that. It would be tidier to lift the boards above and put a cross brace between the joists above the ceiling, but that's a lot more work.
    Don't worry too much about the little holes you make, a couple of minutes with the polyfilla will sort them out - much better than the PJ pulling a chunk of plasterboard down and trashing your £1000 invesment!

7. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Andy, very useful information.

Cheers,

Shaun

8. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Get some plaster board fixing screws they will take the weight of the pj and mount easy

9. c3po

c3po

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mounted my h30 onto plaster board with the close ceiling unicol mount no convient joist to use, i used the medium duty metal plasterboard mounts, the type that have a collapsable cage that forms on the rear of the plasterboard as you tighten the screw.
    This spreads the load over a sizable area much better than the wide screws also sold as plasterboard screws. i also used the same screws to mount my draper screen. I selected the best area for mounting then used a small drill bit to make sure there were no obstructions at any of the hole positions before finally putting the larger holes in.

hope this is of use,
    as my dad is always saying ' measure twice cut once'

C3p0

10. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I've mounted a couple of H56's and H30's by using th Optoma ceiling bracket and unbolting the rectangular plate from the universal joint on the end of the column.
    Mission make wall brackets for the M70 (now M30) series of speakers which are completely adjustable in all planes . They cost about £20 a pair.
    If you bolt one of these to the top of the mounting plate it makes a very elegant and easily adjustable ceiling bracket. There is a ball joint and large thumb wheel which locks this into position.
    It's easily man enough for the job as it's designed to hold up a speaker.

If you were enterpising enough you could make a bracket from MDF to screw to the projector and thus make a ceiling bracket for less than twenty quid.

I regularly use stud finders and unless the plasterboard is foil backed they work fine.

11. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi chaps,

Can i just say how grateful i am for your responses.. much appreciated.

Warpaint - That looks great! The Optoma mount is massive and that looks ideal against a white ceiling, is it painted? Am i right in thinking that the only part of the Optoma mount used is the plate that attached to the H56? Would i need to drill additional holes in this to line it up is the speaker bracket?

Cheers again,

Shaun

12. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes the only bit of the Optoma mount is the rectangular metal plate which screws on to the projector. (The bolt holding this to the Optoma mount is very stiff to undo) You have to bore 2 holes in the plate so you can bolt on the bracket. You need to supply the bolts. I would recommend locking nuts or locktite to stop the nuts loosening off.
    The bracket pictured is white plastic and has four fairly widely spaced holes to mount on the ceiling. I'm not entirely sure if white is still an option.
    Mission appear to have changed the bracket slightly since I made this one, but the fitting arrangements look the same.

You can see the brackets at:-
    http://www.mission.co.uk/index1.htm
    Model No. M30BR

13. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Yes - they work very well (though a little wobbly if you touch the pj). I used them on my HT1000 when I first got it. There are some pics on my web site if you're interested:

http://www.g-lightfoot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ht1000.html

They make removing the pj a simple job too.

The MK2 isw more sturdy, and I've just mad a flush mount which uses two pieces of 6mm MDF, one bolts flat to the ceiling, and the other to the pj, so yuou still get full adjustment, and keep the pj and inch +- to the ceiling.

Gary.

15. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

I got the parts needed to mount my projector yesterday (TT-2 Speaker Brackets from Argos (in silver : ) and some small hollow wall metal anchors from B&Q. I already have the plate from the Optoma mount but before i get drilling i have a quick question please.

Given my ceiling height and this mounting solution will the top of the viewing area of my screen be very close to the ceiling? I'm about to order a DRH Slimline screen and understand that there is amount of black at the top. What amount of this will i use given that it's standard modern house ceilings and this type of mount.

Thanks once again,

Shaun

16. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    There will probably be around a 12" drop at the top of the screen before the white screen area (plus the size of the screen enclosure). The optoma projector projects its picture slightly upwards if placed the right way up. It will project slightly downwards if mounted upside down. In a nutshell if you mount the screen on the ceiling and the projector on the ceiling then you should have no problem. The top of your projected area will be very close to the top of your screen picture area when the projector is level. A slight tilt of your bracket will line it up perfectly and you should be able to view the picture with zero keystone adjustment.

Have you tested the projector out on a flat surface to see how much the picture is projected upwards?

17. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Warpaint,

I've only tested it in table top mode but i can easily check this.

Whilst your on, would you say the best way to hide tha cables is with some trunking (since i'm not gonna take up the bedroom floorboards)?

Thanks for your help,

Shaun

18. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Trunking works fine.
    If you can get it then use the type with a sticky back. It makes fitting it very easy and it can look very neat.