H555 : switching to Projector

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Heebson, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Heebson

Heebson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    just become proud owner of an Harmony 555 - and am mightily impressed.

Have got it setup up for most activities successfully (still odd teething prob), but the question I have is a bit more fundamental/out there ;-)

I've a Projector and a plasma that I switch between for usual stuff (movies, games, etc), but obv the TV gets the majority of use (mainly kids and room not total blackout) - so have setup all the activities to view on the TV.

What I'd like to be able to do is when doing an Activity, to easily swap to PJ. This would entail : switching off TV; PJ on and switching off one output on my HDMI matrix switch and switching on the other.

I can think of a few (horrible) ways to try and achieve this - had hoped something with the Picture button - but wondering if anyone out there has solved a similar prob?

Apols for the long post!

Thanks,
    Heeb

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    2 ways of doing it:

Create a "sequence" within each activity and assign it to a button. A sequence can contain up to 5 commands.

Create extra activities, i.e. 2 "watch DVD" activities (1 for TV, one for PJ), 2 "play game" activities, etc.

Although the first option might seem the easiest, the Harmony's "smart state" logic can get confused if you do it this way - it only remembers what devices are powered on at the start of an activity, not those that you switch manually within an activity.

The second option is the best way to do it.

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    So you make a PJ Activity - or more than one, if necessary!

4. Heebson

Heebson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have 5 activities for the TV - was hoping to avoid duplicating all of them!

Did read a suggestion to use learn to add a TV command, but learn the projector power on from the PJ remote. Might try something there.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Learning a command from one device to another can mess up the Harmony database.
    I get your point about the number of Activities, but you can have up to 255 and I don't find any problem with handling almost 20.