1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H3DII with nebula card - question to the knowledgable ones?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jackass, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    People have reported that the Nebula card has poor deinterlacing and Dscaler munches into CPU power.
    Now can the H3DII + Aux HD input card take the DVI input from a radeon card (nebula non-interlaced picture) and let H3DII do the deinterlacing, scaling and frame rate conversion to 100 Hz, keeping everything in the digital domain?

Is this possible?

Thanks

Steve.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, but with a few important caveats.

1. I don't thin,k the DVI in daughterboard is finished and available yet.

2. You would have to get an interlaced output from the Nebula, via the desktop, which I double you'd be able to.

Otherwise the holo3dgraphII will treat the input as already progressive and not be able to do any deinterlacing.

Not real-time I know, but how about save the .ts files (interlaced MPEG2) and watch them via Dscaler DShow input or see if the Xcard will play them back?

Or even convert them to normal DVD compliant MPEG2 files, isn't there a stream stripper app talked about on avs somwhere for HD .ts files. Same stuff, just larges res and datarates?

regards,
    Rob.

p.s Anyone care to send me a CD-R or DVD-R with one or more .ts file Nebula recordings on, then I'll look at what I can do with them.

3. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Rob,

In ver3 of the nebula software it mention this enhancement:

An option to add/remove video deinterlacing has been added so that video displayed on a TV gives a more natural picture.

Does this mean that it will ouput in interlaced mode?

This could be easily done if requested going by Nebula's customer service.

Thanks.

Steve.

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Steve,
    It certainly sounds like it can be turned on/off.

Perhaps to support tv cards with S-Video output.

I'm not sure of the interlaced overlay details, but have noticed people on avs such as Karnis regularly report that 1080i (interlaced) is working/broken in each different Radeon catalyst driver release. I think they go for this as it's the highest vertical resolution a HD tv can do (above 720p?).

I'm not sure how getting 1080i overlay relates to getting 480i or 576i overlay, but it might work. It will certainly be a popular goal when the holo3dgraph DVI in card is released, but until then is pretty pointless compared to 720p, 768p, 864p, 960p available from any Radeon HTPC's.

regards,
    Rob.

5. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Thanks Rob.
    I've asked Tom over at Immersive forum if its possible, i'll wait and see what he says.
    I know Powerstrip gives the option of interlaced output but don't know if that out of the DVI port.

I would use Dscaler but i always now and again get dropped frames with a 1.8 P4 and i always used to get the herringbone noise on the s-video input on the PB TV100 card.

I see that one member solved the herringbone using an Ixos lead, i think i'll try that being the cheaper option and give dscaler another try, i have overclocked to 2.3 ghz in the past. :)

Steve.